THR 9 weeks post op

sandlisa

Country
United States United States
Hello there. I am 9 weeks post op anterior right hip replacement. I am experiencing lots of aches in my thigh and hip area. Sometimes pain, but mostly aches. These tend to keep me up at night. I have thought about contacting my doctor about it, but don’t want to be a “baby” about it. Sometimes it is painful in the groin area and sometimes in the lateral area of what I think is the actual hip joint. I have been going to PT and doing my exercises at home, including walking anywhere from 1.5 miles to 2.5 miles per day.
1. Should I call my doctor? I am wondering about maybe a muscle relaxer?
2. Am I over doing it?
I am scheduled to have my left knee replaced in June.

thank you
Sandlisa

Last edited:
Hello, Welcome to Bonesmart and recovery. Thanks for joining us.

It's very likely you're doing too much. I'd definitely back away from the PT and cut down on the walking until you get the pain under control. You didn't mention if you're taking anything for pain.
If you're not, the forum Nurse, Josephine, often recommends Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000 mg, 4x daily, not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hour period. The 4000 mg would include anything else you're taking that contains Acetaminophen.

In addition, icing will help with pain and swelling. We suggest you ice any areas that are painful
for no less than 40-60 mins each time you ice. Target 4x daily.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines below and pay special attention to the Big Tip -

BIG TIP:
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Stop back and let us know how you're doing. We'd love to offer support as you continue your hip recovery
and move toward and through your TKR in June.

A great rest of the week to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @sandlisa

Last edited:
Please leave your exact surgery date below to be applied as your signature.
Thanks in advance :)

I'm going to second Layla's comments.

Especially since the pain seems to move around, I would say you probably are doing too much for this stage in your recovery. I suggest you do a little test and for two weeks cut way, way back on your walking as well as any other exercises you're doing. You also can stop going to PT or, if you don't want to do that, at least cut way back on exercise there as well. Ice areas that are painful and use something like Tylenol (1,000mg doses) at bedtime and again in 4-6 hours if you wake up during the night with discomfort. Just be sure you don't take more than 4,000mg in any 24 hour period and be sure to count the acetaminophen in any over-the-counter meds you take like cold and since medication.

If things improve, you have your answer....too much too soon.

The problem with trying to talk to your surgeon about things like this is that he's likely to take an xray, pronounce your implant as perfect and send you on your way. Most surgeons just don't get into the soft tissue pain issues after surgery.

Giving your hip/leg a good rest will help guide you in terms of deciding your next steps. It sounds like you are losing sleep and aware of discomfort much of the time, which can be so wearing. If you take a break and baby yourself like you did early in your recovery, you may be better able to decide if it's something you want to follow up with your doctor about, or if the rest was all you needed.

Almost everyone has assorted aches and pains after hip replacement, and it's often hard to tell what is normal, and what to worry about. Rest, acetaminophen, and ice typically did the trick for me and helped me reset. I hope you can get things to settle down soon.

Wow, I'm not much further along than you and I can't imagine going to PT, doing more PT at home, and then walking up to 2.5 miles a day. And then there are your daily activities with chores, etc. That is a lot, a whole lot. And your due for knee surgery in June? It sounds like you need to back off of some of your activity, ice and rest now because you want to be in a better place with your hip recovery before having another surgery @sandlisa.

My surgery date was March 12, 2019. Thank you all for your replies. I have cut back this week, unintentionally, due to being at the hospital with my sister-in-law. So, I have not been able to keep up my usual routine. The pain has settled down some. I will keep an eye on it and work on not doing as much. I do want to be prepared for my knee surgery. I see my PT for the last time on Monday. I will keep you posted.

I hope all is well for your sister-in-law. I think if you cut back on your PT (preferably none), you'll see a big improvement. Walking is the best therapy for hips; I'm not sure that 2.5 miles is good though. It's best to keep ice on it and keep your leg elevated when you can. Sending warm thoughts your way as you prepare for knee surgery too! :flwrysmile:

Hello :wave:
Sorry to hear about your SIL. Hopefully her situation has improved. Hospital visits can make for some very long days. It's interesting you've found some relief in stepping away from PT out of necessity. Please consider taking it easy over the next weeks leading up to your knee surgery. Just a bit of walking is all you need in addition to your normal daily activity. Wondering if you have a date scheduled for your TKR? If so, please leave that info below to be added to your signature.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
@sandlisa

Hi Sadlisa, I had a left anterior replacement Mar 4/19 and my discomfort is quite similar. I’m good all day but almost dread going to bed some nights ....seems as long as I’m moving I’m good. I work as a nurse and ride a bike for 40 min a day so it’s maybe to much moving.

Opera, I have decided to continue walking, most days up to 2 miles, and doing some of my PT exercises. I find that I am in more pain and stiff if I don’t do any of my exercises than if I do say 3-4 of them. I also am doing a few yoga stretches in the evening, 3-4. This has helped tremendously along with being 13 weeks post-op. Being on your feet as a nurse, I am one also, is a lot. I am fortunate to be able to take the summer off for my knee replacement next week.
Hope your pain has settled down some.
Sandlisa

Hi @sandlisa
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Not sure of the date of your upcoming knee replacement, but please consider starting a thread on the knee side to gain support as you're healing. I wish you all the best going into surgery and recovery.
Happy Wednesday!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks