TKR 9 Weeks post op full knee replacement UK

Dennie

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am new to this site, have been looking in since op and found lots of useful information.

I am finding that now I'm doing more I am getting stiffness and swelling (I know both can last a while) but does the feeling of the joint inside ever go?

Hello @Dennie - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

It may be that you are trying to do too much, too soon for your new knee and it is letting you know, by getting stiffness and swelling.
Check what you should be doing against this article: Activity progression for TKRs

Here are the Recovery Guidelines that we give to everyone with a new knee:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @Dennie
I had my TKR on 1st March so I am a couple of weeks behind you but so far I haven't felt anything 'alien' in my knee. I do get swelling and a lot of stiffness though.
Last year I had 2 hip replacements and for the first few weeks could feel the replacements, particularly when sitting down. But that has completely gone now so I am hopeful that the feeling you have will go also.

At first, you are very conscious of the knee replacement hardware, but that feeling gradually fades.
Both my knees ar artificial but they serve me so well that I forget they're foreign bodies. I get quite a shock when I see the implants on X-Rays.

Hi @Dennie, I had my op nine weeks ago tomorrow 11/2/19. I can’t say that I’m conscious the implant itself but more the discomfort of the tissues healing etc. I find the worse feeling is when I’m standing still eg when peeling potatoes. The knee gets very tight and I have to walk about a bit to loosen it up. I had my other knee done just over two years ago and it took about 10 months before I wasn’t conscious of it albeit occasionally it still gives me a twinge or two to let me know it’s there. As you’ve no doubt already discovered from reading posts on here it’s a right roller coaster of a recovery up and down and round about but eventually we all get there as will you.:good-bad:

@Bionic
Thanks for the info

@Lilli215 I had my op same day.
Thanks for the info. Yes I have already discovered what a roller coaster recovery is and that it will take a while.

The soft tissues after TKR are very irascible. They settle down and you think, oh, I can [insert physical activity]. And then it swells and feels tight. It's a slow process over months for those tissues to stop being so cranky. I did a lot yard work today, after a week where I noticed the effusion (joint fluid which makes the knee feel tight) had diminished. So of course it's tight again.

@Lilli215 hi Twinnie

How you getting on ?

I went back to work for a suppose half day yesterday ended up staying all day!

Today really swollen and calf musscles really hard

Dennie

Hello @Dennie - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing exactly when you had your surgery makes it easier for us to advise you appropriately. Thank you.:flwrysmile:

@Dennie, yep your knee is letting you know who’s boss. I’m so glad that I’m retired, I feel for everyone on here who have to manage a return to work. Get the knee elevated and iced for as long as possible, areyou just back part time at the moment?

@Lilli215
I am back into the office part time , but have been working from home for about 3 weeks

I’m half way through weeek nine TKR on right knee.

I feel like I’ve gone backwards last few Days the swelling/tightness is behind the knee and my calve is vey tight any ideas ?

Most likely you are doing more activities than your knee is ready for and it is rebelling with increased swelling and tightness.

@Jockette Thanks I think that is possible , have cut some exercise out today, will see how it goes, am going to try first Aqua Spin in the morning, as not having any problem with static bike and other people I've spoken to who have had surgery think it is good, as you go at your own pace.

I am now 12 weeks post Op and doing well , apart from the last couple of days I have itching at the bottom of my scar and to the side of it. Not sure if this a cause for concern or part of normal healing process.

I had my rom checked for first time in weeks 115 bend and 15 straight , so my straight leg is not good, what is best thing I can do to help this improve ? I am 3 months post op.

Hi, I'm 3 weeks ahead of you. I never had a problem with extension, more with flexion. It seems to be one or the other. I expect the moderators will be along to advise. A friend who had trouble with his extension recommended hydrotherapy, as it helped him, but I haven't needed it so far. I hope you find something to help.

Hi @Lindylee

Thanks for your reply my gym has a hydrotherapy pool so I will look into that. Hopefully there might be some other suggestions.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom