PKR One Year Out - Pleased With Outcome

@PearlandLilP I’m another PKR and also in my 40’s. I’m not sure how you find my thread if you want to read, but maybe someone can comment that knows?

Also, if you start a thread in the pre op section, you can ask questions and we can try to help if we can :)
Thank you! Pretty new to navigating threads…it feels a bit different. I searched “partial knee replacements”

You did great! You found EalingGran, who has a great thread and had the lateral PKR like you might need, so this is a good place to start!

@PearlandLilP

Here is JusticeRider’s recovery thread:

And I agree, feel free to start a thread in the Pre Op forum and we can discuss your concerns. :flwrysmile:

Here is a list of members who’ve had partials:

Hi-came here to find others as I am scheduled for partial replacements, both knees. I’m 41:(. how are you feeling at this point? Happy you went partial?
@PearlandLilP I have had some doubts over my recovery so far but overall I am pleased I went for a partial knee replacement. My knee feels very natural. I have never had the feeling that I have any metal in my leg. Having said that it has felt pretty sore and a bit swollen at times but it has always felt like my knee. I have also had no problems with ROM. I have been 135 degrees extension ( now almost 145 degrees) and zero extension almost from coming out of hospital. My surgeon reassured me when the physio was giving me stern warnings about not sleeping with a pillow under my knee- that partials don't seize up and I didn't need to worry about my bend/ extension as it would be just fine with gentle exercise.
It may be hard to compare our histories as I am 66 and also have significant hip and lumbar arthritis with spinal stenosis.
My partial was lateral and I was becoming more and more ( over 20 degrees) knock kneed on that side. An orthotist I saw pre- surgery said my right leg was 2 and a half centimetres shorter than my left.My surgeon has done a fantastic job of correcting my leg alignment and it now matches my left in being very slightly knock kneed. My surgeon said he could have fully straightened my leg with a TKR but thought a lateral PKR was a better option for me. He reassured me at 12 weeks post operation that my medial compartment was " pretty pristine " and the bit of residual medial pain I have on stairs is my MCL and will settle.
I have found the recovery much tougher than I expected but I am 20 plus years older with a lot of other joint issues.
I think the main issue with partials is finding a really good surgeon who does lots of PKR and has good results. Also trusting his/ her advice that you are a good candidate. Patient selection is very important too.
My surgeon has done a lot of the research on PKR and his figures in the National Joint Registry are very good.
I am happy to answer any specific queries you have if I can.

I am now 11 and a half weeks post lateral PKR surgery and just notebooking my current situation before I see my surgeon on 18th. So sorry for long post but just trying to clarify my thoughts.
It is a bit of a curate's egg with some good and some definitely not so good.
Not currently helped though, by still feeling very rough with a chest infection/ no appetite/poor sleep/ no energy. Feeling fed up as it is our Ruby wedding anniversary tomorrow and we were meant to be in Sri Lanka for a holiday to celebrate - but had to cancel because of my joint problems and surgery. Not even sure if I am going to be able to enjoy lunch out tomorrow. So definitely feeling sorry for myself and glass more than half empty.
On the good side.
My scar is beautiful. Glued so it is really neat and perfectly healed. Less than 4 inches long.
My leg which was previously over 20 degrees valgus is now pretty much straight and my gait is much better than pre-op.
The general post op pain and stiffness is definitely improving and my knee no longer swells or gets warm very much if I walk 10000 steps in a day. Until this recent chest infection my sleep was getting better and I am more comfortable in bed at night than in the early weeks.
I have managed to stop all my painkillers except for occasional paracetamol. The idea for this was to see if my previously severe hip pain came back now my leg is straight. I have moderate hip arthritis and lumbar arthritis with some stenosis. So far after two weeks the hip is ok- so probably won't go on waiting list for hip surgery. I am having an ultra sound of the hip on 17th which might also be
Did you happen to see Dr. Sukin I’m Bozeman, MT?!? I have had surgeries yet but feeling everything you’re saying. Wanting to get back to skiing but otherwise no significant rest pain. Bone on bone lateral sides
@PearlandLilP My surgeon was Alex Liddle in London UK. He said lateral arthritis presents late and there often isn't significant pain until very late. I didn't have much pain at all at rest and I finally went for surgery because I was shocked by my MRI results and how twisted my knee was getting. The pain on walking was getting worse and I also had pain in the back of my knee from a Bakers cyst.
I found it hard post op because I definitely had more pain at rest for about 10 weeks and sleep has been hard. I questioned my decision. The rest pain has nearly gone now and I am definitely coming into profit.
I think it would be a good idea for you to do the knee scores that are available on the BoneSmart home page. I wish I had done them previously for comparison.
I have never skied and have no wish to try now! My daughter in laws father had a medial PKR in March 2022. He is a long time skier and has been back on the slopes in France a few weeks ago- although my son says he just skies from one restaurant to another! His recovery was very straightforward and I have felt a bit miserable as mine has felt slower- but you can't compare. I had more other joint issues and a big realignment of my leg.

Hi-came here to find others as I am scheduled for partial replacements, both knees. I’m 41:(. how are you feeling at this point? Happy you went partial?
@PearlandLilP
I think another advantage of PKR over TKR is that it is more likely you will be able to kneel.
I have been told that I am OK to kneel.
I can do it very briefly ( 3-4 minutes) on a well padded surface. It is helpful for getting up and down and I can do a few cat stretches for my back. It is the numb patch/ unpleasant sensation that stops me kneeling longer but I think I will be able to kneel for linger in the future.

His recovery was very straightforward and I have felt a bit miserable as mine has felt slower- but you can't compare. I had more other joint issues and a big realignment of my leg.
Yes, you had more issues involved and more work was done during the surgery. We also have individual healing rates. This is why we cannot compare to others.

This is why we cannot compare to others.
@Jockette I know you are right and I am doing it less.
It is a hard recovery. On the one hand I have days when I really believe I am making progress. I was out yesterday with my daughter, who was pushing my grandson in his buggy. She confirmed what my husband says, that I am walking faster than I did pre- op. She said she doesn't have to deliberately slow down now, like she used to have to before.
I am also able to do a few flights of stairs per day going up normally.
On the other hand- after a couple of busy days with a lot of walking ( over 10000 steps) and helping my daughter with childcare ( because she has some work deadlines) my new knee was definitely warmer and slightly swollen by nighttime. I am so glad I found BoneSmart because I know that swelling/ heat is normal even a few months later- so long as I am careful and ice plenty and don't ignore it.
Without BoneSmart I would have been convinced there was something terribly wrong and started catastrophising about infection or dislocation.

Was wondering why I seem to have a bit more soreness and swelling currently as I have been doing 10000 steps for a while.
Had a look through my fitbit data and realised I am doing a lot more flights of stairs in the last couple of weeks. Some days I have done 17 another day 22! The first few weeks post op I was doing hardly any. We have a lot of stairs in our old house and no toilet on the ground floor.
Initially my husband was fetching and carrying for me. Now I feel guilty, as I am rather better - so if I forget something I will just nip upstairs myself. I am also starting to be able to walk upstairs normally and do this at least some of the time. I think I will have to be more organised and limit the stair climbing as my knee is obviously protesting.

Ooh that sounds like it would do it! That’s a lot of stair climbing! Don’t feel guilty, you are still healing and in need of some help. And you know you would do the same for your hubby, whatever he needed to give him the best possible recovery. But I can totally relate to that guilt…I think that’s part of what pushed me to ramp up my activity a little too quickly too. We just have to remember…this is all temporary :bored:

But I can totally relate to that guilt…I think that’s part of what pushed me to ramp up my activity a little too quickly too
You're a really active person ( even more so than me!) and it's hard to be dependent. Also I find I pick up slightly negative cues from others ( not my husband) like " are you still in pain" and " can't you do x y or z yet"

Also I find I pick up slightly negative cues from others ( not my husband) like " are you still in pain" and " can't you do x y or z yet"
Ignore this! I hate when people feel the need to tell you that their distant relative or a friend of a friend was running marathons at 4 weeks out. In most cases this is all hearsay. These people have no clue how complex this recovery can be.

You are doing great @EalingGran !

I do have to hold on to my real progress.
It is a lovely mild sunny day here and we went for a lovely walk with a couple of friends this morning, in the garden of an old country house. Snowdrops out. Managed to walk on uneven ground and barely used the stick. Had coffee outside at the cafe and I really didn't notice my knee whilst we chatted.I drove there and back and getting more confident at driving. Knee barely noticeable and no problem driving.
I am trying to be more organised about stair climbing to limit trips. Checking I have reading glasses/ phone/ everything I need before going downstairs!

Also I find I pick up slightly negative cues from others ( not my husband) like " are you still in pain" and " can't you do x y or z yet"
When you hear this, consider the source. It's rude, actually. Why people want to make someone recovering from major surgery feel as though they're inept, is beyond me. I'd tell the impolite inquirer that your surgeon is happy with your progress and that's all that matters to you.

The backdrop for your morning walk sounds lovely and coffee outside only a dream for me living in the Land Of The Frozen! Will have to wait another two months, at least, to enjoy that.
You're doing great, EG. Happy Sunday and a great week to you!

You're feeling soreness because you're only 3 1/2 months post op. But, that lovely walk sounds awesome!

Thanks- it was lovely. Felt great to be getting back to more normal life. My lower back pain is also improving- possibly because I am back on naproxen. Felt almost Spring like here today- although we may have more Winter weather to come.

EalingGran, that sounds like such a delightful morning! And how nice to forget about your knee for a while. Hopefully that will be the case the majority of the time eventually, but in the meantime those moments are precious! I am jealous of your spring-like weather :SUNsmile:

Omg, I can SO relate to this. In a way, it’s almost the hardest part of this recovery for me. I really don’t think people realize the impact of their words sometimes, or the weight of their expectations. I have a friend who is particularly bad about this and I still haven’t found the right words to express to her how it makes me feel :sad: I hope you will be able to keep your optimism and patience strong in the face of others’ thoughtless comments. You know all of us here understand where you are right now. And you are really doing great!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back