9 weeks and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisaw

I had THR left hip 9 weeks ago due to AVN. The thigh pain and groin pain is still terrible, especially after sitting for an extended length of time. I am still walking with a cane. Having pain in right groin and thigh but family doctor x-rayed hip and says no indication of flattening of the fermoat ball. Should I still be hurting this much. I am 49 and thought I would bounce back fast.

Dear unknown Lisaw,
I can see that you are 9 weeeka after THR. I will be tomorrow 4 weeks after it and for me it'll be more than interesting and important to konow how is going your rehabilitation, what excercies you are doing, etc.
If you can - write me about it detaily and not so language's difficult (as it is possibly, of course).
I am 55, from Ukraine (do you know such country?), I have your American Prosthese De Puy, but we unfortunately don't have insurance and I paid for it myself. It was very difficult but God thanks it is over and it seems I'm feeling better with every week.
I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing from you (excuse me my mistaces, please).
Valery.

I had THR left hip 9 weeks ago due to AVN. The thigh pain and groin pain is still terrible, especially after sitting for an extended length of time. I am still walking with a cane. Having pain in right groin and thigh but family doctor x-rayed hip and says no indication of flattening of the fermoat ball. Should I still be hurting this much. I am 49 and thought I would bounce back fast.

Dear Valery,

I hope this finds yuou well and dong much better. I am 9 weeks oout from THR. I am somewhat better but am still having pain both in the replaced hip and my right one as well. I am on a cane, and although I started out on a walker, I have been able to place weight on the replaced hip from the day after surgery. I understand you are n crutches, I hope you get off of them soon. Althugh I did have health insurance to pay for this surgery, they limited me to 13 physical therapy visits. I feel I still need more because of the pain. My exercises consisted of leg lifts, ankle flexes, and walking. My family doctor feels I would benefit from water therapy but insurance will not pay for it. I wish you well in your recovery and look forward to hearing from you again.

Lisa

lisaw, welcome to the forum.

There always seems to be a problem with AVN hips as the deformation of the femoral head means the ligaments shorten and tighten up. Then, when you have the new hip, they have to stretch out to length again which is painful. If you keep on with your exercises, I am sure it will fade away over time. But, as a wise man on here once stated, it didn't take your hip a few weeks to get into the condition where it needed surgery so it's not going to take a few weeks to get sorted out.

One thing occurs to me, are you taking enough pain killers to help you cope? I've noticed some people saying they think that after a few weeks they shouldn't need them anymore as the operation should have fixed things. Well this is true but you still have the effects of the surgery to recover from and that is not going to take place in 9 weeks.

Other than that, you battle on, honey - you seem like you are doing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TATTVASPA800000
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom