TKR 9 Months Post TKR Pain

mrsr734

Country
United States United States
Long time "reader" first time poster. I've found this site to be very helpful, thank you! As the title describes, I had a total TKR on my right knee 9 months ago, at 64 years young. The first couple of months were rough, but now I can get around fine, but really hurts to get up from a sitting position. My left knee is getting worse and I fear it's next. I'm able to walk without much problem, just stiff and hurts to step up or down very often. I've been riding my bicycle around 20 minutes a day, it only pains me when I'm first pushing off from a stop. I think I lost some progress because I got Covid in early March and was in bed for a couple of weeks, very sick. I guess I'm looking for affirmation that it "will" get better. I hear of so many that take a full year, while others are better much sooner. The pain is mostly on the right side of the surgical knee, slight to the back of it. Nothing seems to help this. I've been avoiding the gym, in case I've lost antibodies already. Okay, I've gone on long enough. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

andpeaches

Country
I am actually just about 23 months post op R TKR and I was searching for any advice on occasional pain and stiffness STILL even at almost 2 years! But I clearly remember at 9 months I was bewildered at how much it still hurt going up the stairs. Not as bad going down but putting full weight on it going up was really painful at 9 months. I can tell you I still see mild improvement month by month. I can easily work in my feet all day, walk 6 miles no problem, do yoga (all postures) and never feel my knee holds me back. But occasionally like today it can get cranky and still let me know it’s not a normal knee. Maybe it never will be perfect. But I’m amazed that I still feel it’s still getting better even at 2 yrs. anyone else? Does anyone ever feel like their TKR is totally perfect? If so how many years out?????:what:

OP
OP
M

mrsr734

Country
Sorry to hear you're still in some pain after that long, but it does make me feel better. :) Yeah, stairs are still a little tough, not undoable but I'm "aware". You seem to be in a pretty good place though if you can do yoga, obviously you probably don't still struggle getting out of chair, if not when did that improve. Like I said, looking to feel "okay" that I'm not further along. Please don't reply if you're one of those that has already forgotten it wasn't your real knee in at 6 months. Kidding! :) Good luck to you andpeaches!

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Take it easy, relax. Keep on with gentle stretching exercises, don't overdo things. It should gradually improve. On the bike, nice low gears, i.e. pedal fairly quickly rather than pushing hard.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Tykey

big-cheese
Hi, although I'm few years older, our stories are very similar. Had my second new knee 10 or 11 months ago, pretty sure I had Covid in March (horrible, isn't it) , can't easily get up off low seats. My other new knee was beginning to complain, the new one was still uncomfortable.
My wife said I wasn't walking properly anymore. I'm not saying that this is your problem, but I corrected that, and in a few days the improvement has been remarkable.
Try doing other things, perhaps? Maybe bike riding isn't exercising the bit of your knee which needs it.
Still having difficulty getting off the sofa, but it's not as uncomfortable. But my other knee is back to being perfect as well

Last edited:

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I had a partial over 3 years ago and improved very slowly the entire first year. I continued to improve in my second year, and still some more in my third year. Where you are now is not where you will end up.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mmpc123
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom