THR 9 months post THR

towermller

Country
United States United States
My THR was 8/12/19. I am 71 and in good health. So far things are going okay. Now walking without aid. My worry is my leg wth new hip has been swollen for almost a week. The nurses of the orthodox team don't seem to be concerned. I have had no pain, no fever, no discoloration...until today. I've been wearing the compression socks as suggested but this morning I had a light yellowish tint on my upper calf along with a line where the sock was so didn't put the socks back on after shower. My calf has swelled. I expected this but still am worried. I don't want to put the compression socks back on tonight but am not sure what to do.

Hi :wave: Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery! :welome: Thank you for joining us here.
Please no worries on the swelling or bruising. It's normal. You're less than two weeks post op and believe it or not, for some, swelling to varying degrees can last up until one year post op. I also had some yellowish bruising that didn't show up until I was about 2 1/2 weeks post op. Try icing and elevating any areas that are swollen or causing you discomfort. Ice for 40-60 minutes, no less, each time you ice. Do it several times per day. I'd target 4x daily in these early days of recovery. Elevate toes above nose. You should wear the compression socks for as long as your OS recommended. It will help with the swelling.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines below and stop back often. We'll be here to offer support as you journey through recovery.
Wishing you all the best!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @towermller

Last edited:
Please leave below which hip was replaced so it may be added to your signature along with the date you already provided. Thanks in advance. :)
Have a peaceful evening!
@towermller

I have swelling today. Swelling is a sign of traumatized tissue as yours are if you have had surgery
And it is a sign of pain . Ice rest elevate and consider using aids.
There is no virtue in discarding them too early
and consequences if you do
My OS wants me on s walker for 10 days
Just cause I could go off aids the second day does not mean I should
My swelling is from overdoing it I think
Even with walker I covered a mile today

I was kind of surprised by the sudden appearance of balloon leg too
My surgery was a week after yours
I have no idea what to do with the compression hose. Well I know what I would do but may not be appropriate for you
I am taking Eliquis and am hose free

For both of us. :ice::ice:

My THR was in my right hip. It's been 2 1/2 weeks after surgery and I had a major breakthrough 2 days ago!! Pain lessened enough to stop pain killers, the bruising left. Still a bit swollen right leg but not a huge difference from left!! Walking is much easier now! Still using the horrid compression socks!! Playing by the rules. But am feeling like I'm on the road!!

I want to thank BONESMART...it gave me encouragement and guidance when I needed it. More, I must say, than my surgeon's online team.

You are on the road :walking:
But please keep in mind it's a long road. Decreasing pain, swelling and bruising are all progress, but there is a lot of healing that needs to happen beneath the surface and it can take up to a full year for complete healing, even longer for some. So while it's good you're already noticing progress, please continue to take it slow and your recovery will go smoothly without set-backs.

Below you'll find the Activity Progression for THR from the Recovery Guidelines. It's a rough gauge but following it should keep you on a safe course - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
Best wishes as you move forward. Enjoy the long holiday weekend!
@towermller

:wave:and welcome to the forum.
These early weeks are a bit rough, but all well worth the effort in the end.
Hope today is a good day :ice:

Healing is going well. Three weeks tomorrow. My concern right now is a slight numbness in my toes (both feet). Doing the pumps, etc but it doesn't seem to go. (To be clear, it's a slight numbness not a complete numbness....a bit of pins and needles). Is this normal?

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well. Please an update on occasion. We'd love to read about your progress.
A great Autumn to you!
@towermller

Checking in to see if all is well with you @towermller
Hopefully you are able to move about a little more and some of those odd prickles, zips and zaps...are lessening.
Hope your week is sweet.:SUNsmile:

Things are going very well, thank you for asking. It’s been just over 8 weeks and I’m feeling almost back to normal!! Walking and driving and feeling like my old self!! It was quite a journey and I know complete healing is 3-6 months so am cognizant of being cautious still!!
I think I have said this before, but Bonesmart was a huge help to me. Thank you.

:happydance: Glad to hear things are getting better and better.
Hope the rest of your week is sweet. :SUNsmile:

Good to hear from you @towermller
It sounds like you're doing really well. Don't cut yourself short though. Complete healing takes up to a full year....even longer for some. So you still have lots of room for improvement. :yes!:
Have a beautiful Autumn!

Hello and a Happy Two Month Anniversary to you!
Wishing you all the best going forward.
Stay in touch, we'd love to hear how you're doing on occasion. :wave:
@towermller

Hello @towermller
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you're doing? We'd love to read an update if you'd leave one next time you're on the forum. Hope you're enjoying life as progress continues. All the best to you!

Hi, I had a THR last August. Everything has been going fabulously....until the last few days. I've noticed a soreness around the replacement area. It doesn't stop me from doing anything, but I know it's there and wonder if this may be normal??

@towermller you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the title. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

What is your activity level lately? Have you started anything new? Lifted or pushed anything heavy?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom