THR 9 months post-hip recovery!!!

Trudijane

Country
United States United States
I am 6 weeks post hip replacement surgery (posterior). While the bad pain is gone, it is replaced by general soreness of the muscles (I guess) all around the area and the incision site. Otherwise, the x-ray shows a very positive result.

I decided that my couch was no longer good for sitting on. While it is a nice couch, even though it's firm, it is not firm enough to comfortably sit on while I'm watching a movie, etc. When I get up after lying down with my legs elevated, the soreness is worse.

So, my next thought was to get rid of the couch and buy some nice recliners that are comfortable for post-op hips, etc. I already have one that is very nice; a little low but still I am able to rest my legs on the ottoman. I have my eyes on a few (Macys) that were very comfortable the last time I tried them; altho I would have to try again. The one I really want is way too expensive for me but it might be more ergonomically sound.

I would like to buy 2 recliners that have a built-in 'ottoman' so that when I put my feet up, it doesn't slide around like the one I have does now. How can I tell which recliners are good for me (long-term) to sit on after this kind of procedure. I am no longer comfortable on my couch, whichever way I sit on it!

Attached is a photo of the one I am interested in (with a built in ottoman).

Attachments

• ReclinerBuilOttoman.png
    ReclinerBuilOttoman.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 486
I too had posterior surgery. My couch was too soft , my antique rocker is solid wood and too hard. I got a recliner which is medium . It is still my main chair to sit in but now I also use the couch and rocker again.
It is 91 here today and ice is relieving my soreness. Don't forget to use ice as it can help majorly.

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart! Thank you for joining us here.
I see you received some feedback on your recliner question so I will leave our Recovery Guidelines for you to go over since you're still in the very early weeks of recovery.

If you haven't been icing at all, I suggest you try it for any pain you're dealing with. Try icing for 40-60 minutes, no less, several times per day. It should help.

Also, please leave your exact surgery date below and which hip was replaced. The informaction will be applied as your signature. Stop back often. We'd love to follow your progress.

Have a great weekend!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Trudijane

Last edited:
No help at all @Trudijane but months on I still occasionally wander round the house looking for a comfy chair. Sometimes it's the 'old people's home' wing chair on risers recommended by physios which was certainly the best for the first weeks, sometimes sofa with feet up, sometimes Next snuggle chair (quite low) with feet up on bean bag. Never could get on with the full length dual action recliner, too firm and it made me feel trapped. Judicious use of cushion in the small of the back is good for any. Best of luck!

After my first hip replacement, we bought two velour tub chairs as I couldn't sit on our 'slouch' sofas. They have been a blessing as I can use the arms to get up from sitting and to ease myself down. The ottoman for the sofas works nicely with them.

Haven't got a pic of mine at the moment but rather like this but plain with plain legs.

amedias.conforama.pt_260by271_5c2f22f6e56c4_394614_imagen_1___1546593014_394614_1.jpg

Last edited:
It's a lovely chair and the arms are good but wasn't it rather low for the first few weeks? She doesn't want anything she plops down on and knees should be lower than hips of course.

I was lucky enough to be given a recliner chair where both the feet and back go up and down and the chair rises to help you get in and out.
With my post op restrictions I found it a god send and still use it every day now.
In fact on nights when I find it difficult to sleep I go and lie on the recliner and can usually get comfortable enough to sleep there.

Hi @Trudijane . Welcome to Bonesmart. I’m glad you found this site. I read your post on another thread about feeling low, bored and reclusive. I had many of the same feelings. I’m naturally a rather reclusive person, and hardly told anyone I was going to have a hip replacement. Not surprising then that I had only 2 visits during the weeks I was out of action. The lovely people on here were my emotional support. 6 weeks out is prime time for the post op blues - I have admit that the 5 month stage can also be a downer, but months 2 to 4 were great and month 6 coming up is looking really good. So hang in there. Sounds like your op was a great success and you have a lot of good times waiting in your future.

I think it was round about the 6 week mark that I got sick of lying in bed or sitting in discomfort and treated myself to a new chair. It looks a lot like the picture posted by @Izabel . I too am 5 foot 2 inches, a perfect height! But I tried out lots in the shop and most were too high for me, so there’s plenty of choice for the long legged folk. Or if you have one that is currently too low, as @Carriemay60 says you can use risers under the legs.

Come back soon and let us know how you are doing.

6 weeks seems a bit radical to consider new furniture. This discomfort won’t last and whatever you found comfortable before, you probably will again. I’m just 5 weeks after my posterior hip replacement and just use the chair I always have, but with risers under the chair legs. I have a footstool and find alternating between it and feet on the floor gives enough variation. Good luck deciding.

If you were already wanting/planning on getting new furniture, then I think it's a great idea to find something you think will be comfortable now, and later, for whatever height you are.

There was a time in the first few weeks that I was so uncomfortable sitting. I couldn't get comfortable sitting, and yet that's what I needed to be doing. I was worried I'd be stuck like that, and ordered multiple seat cushions and special pillows, but none helped as much as ice, acetaminophen, and a couple small pillows I already had.

And then, before I knew it, that pain was gone, and hasn't returned. If I sit too long, I still get sore once in awhile, but it is mainly back related. If I had bought new furniture because of that early pain, I now would be feeling I had overreacted. Here's hoping you find some relief soon:)

Hello @Trudijane - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread. Please just have one thread for your recovery:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

It has been 6 weeks since I had a right hip replacement. I also just had my post-op appointment and another x-ray taken. Everything looked fine and where it should be which made me feel better, but I still am not happy with how the general area feels.

It feels like different muscles around the area don’t feel stable enough yet (still walking with a cane)..altho I can take small steps w/o one; while it’s not ‘pain’ - I would call it discomfort and I’m very cautious about what movements I make because I don’t want to make it woI can’t really describe where the discomfort is becauuse it varies. Sometimes, it seems to be in the big muscle in fron of the leg, other times, my back feels like it’s tight; it just doesn’t feel like I’m back to normal - and even though my Dr. reassures me I’m where I should be - I’m wondering if these muscle aches (a feeling of instability will ever go away.

I just started driving again, and I get in/out of my care very carefully, always fearful of making the wrong move or irritating the area in some way. Taking an ibuprofen definitely helps the discomfort for awhile.

I’m scheduled to start Physical Therapy (to strengthen the muscles around the surgery area (posterior), yet others seem to feel it’s not needed - just walk which I’ve been doing enough of with a cane.

I would really like to know when or if these muscle aches or feelings of instability will eventually be more normal? And when can I expect it to be???

Hi @Trudijane, for my first THR, I did PT with pretty painful results....This time, I have chosen not to do any PT formally and I feel much better. Of course, gentle stretching and mild movement always-and realistic walking. I also firmly believe that our posture is very beneficial....if we are concentrating on standing upright, chest out, shoulders back and head up, all our organs are now in their proper place and we can move more easily and with less pain. It sounds like you are tentative right now with movement. I don't believe PT would be a good call for you in helping you get stronger.

I would trust your surgeon...he sees this everyday. All of your discomfort is normal; some people heal more quickly than others, but YOU WILL GET THERE. I just wouldn't add formal PT to the equation right now. HTH

Hi @Trudijane
Please leave the exact date of your surgery below. Notice how everyone who responds has a surgery date (signature) at the bottom of their posts? Many of us glance at those signatures before responding to get an idea of how far along the member is on their recovery journey. It would be greatly appreciated if you'd provide that information. Mentioning you are six weeks post op in one or two of your posts isn't necessarily going to be noticed by those who come along to respond going forward. I hope you understand.
Thanks in advance and a great evening to you :)

Hi @Trudijane, for my first THR, I did PT with pretty painful results....This time, I have chosen not to do any PT formally and I feel much better. Of course, gentle stretching and mild movement always-and realistic walking. I also firmly believe that our posture is very beneficial....if we are concentrating on standing upright, chest out, shoulders back and head up, all our organs are now in their proper place and we can move more easily and with less pain. It sounds like you are tentative right now with movement. I don't believe PT would be a good call for you in helping you get stronger.

I would trust your surgeon...he sees this everyday. All of your discomfort is normal; some people heal more quickly than others, but YOU WILL GET THERE. I just wouldn't add formal PT to the equation right now. HTH

Hi,
I also am ambivalent about physical therapy even though it was an order placed by my surgeon. I think it also depends upon which kind of hip surgery you had (posterior or anterior). I had the posterior, which means the surgeon had to cut through the muscles so they may be taking a long time to heal or get stronger ...I really don't know. It's not pain, it's just an all around discomfort that tells me I am not healed yet not even close.

I might go to P/T and tell them that I won'd do anything that 'hurts' the area and only do as you suggested gentle stretching, etc. and of course I have been doing walking. I just don't feel comfortable having my mobility tested to see how far I can go which may cause me pain. I don't want any more pain!

As for me, aside from walking, and watching my posture, I don't know what else to do.

If you were already wanting/planning on getting new furniture, then I think it's a great idea to find something you think will be comfortable now, and later, for whatever height you are.

There was a time in the first few weeks that I was so uncomfortable sitting. I couldn't get comfortable sitting, and yet that's what I needed to be doing. I was worried I'd be stuck like that, and ordered multiple seat cushions and special pillows, but none helped as much as ice, acetaminophen, and a couple small pillows I already had.

And then, before I knew it, that pain was gone, and hasn't returned. If I sit too long, I still get sore once in awhile, but it is mainly back related. If I had bought new furniture because of that early pain, I now would be feeling I had overreacted. Here's hoping you find some relief soon:)

Remodeling!
Yes, I was planning on remodelling my Living Room anyway, even before I had the surgery. It seemed that whenever I got up from my couch, I felt stiffer and it was generally uncomfortable. It also was against my windows in the room when I wanted them to be visible.

I decided that the room could look very nice with 3 recliner chairs. I was browsing at Macys severqal months ago when I sat on a chair that was SO comfortable...getting in/out & sitting in. The seat was not too low or high and the ottoman was built in at just the right angle (it seemed). I did not LOVE the chair, but I can easily see 2 of them in my Living room plus the one I already have providing that I put a pillow on the bottom since the seat is a bit low (even tho I'm 5'1). That' my plan for now - but I'm in no rush.

If you go to the top of this thread - I posted a photo of the recliner chair. For now, that's my plan. No more couches for me!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back