THR One perplexing short, sharp pain after two years

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Righty!
Hope your shoulder gives you a break from hurting today. :SUNsmile:
Have a good week!
@Beacat

Thanks! I've been so focused on the just-done left hip, that I hadn't realized I had reached 2 months with the right hip! And yes, the shoulder is definitely improving. It really liked the heating pad. Feel like I'm turning a corner now, with this second hip.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope both of your new hips are healing well and you’re pleased with your progress.
Stay in touch, we’d love to hear how you’re enjoying your freedom from pain as you move forward.
A wonderful Thursday and weekend to you!
@Beacat

Thanks, all is coming along. But wondering how long it will be before I can put my own shoes and socks on again, and pick up the things I drop without my "grabber". My limited mobility had been much more of problem for me, than pain, so while the pain is gone (except for certain movements), I still can do less than before the two surgeries. The right hip (surgery July 13th) had been really, really bad, so I know that it still has a long ways to go. The left hip, (Aug. 31st) seems already at least as good as the right, if not better! And while I am mostly staying out of the "over did it" club, I do still have lots of ups and downs. Sometimes it just seems like it will be forever before I experience the anticipated new range of movement. I must admit that I am a little impatient!

It's hard to stay patient but even righty is just 2 1/2 months into a 12-18 month recovery. Hang in there, brighter days are ahead. :flwrysmile:

I think we all get impatient at times or often through recovery. However, we are not in charge. Our hips decide when we can do things and progress. It is time for us to exercise that patient muscle more than any other or at least it seemed that way to me. You have had two surgeries quite close together and the body and hips are working their way through recovery that can take up to a year plus totally.

I bet if you think back a week or two you will note progress. There comes a time when we do not see progress daily but we note if more when looking back a week at a time.

Sending positive vibes for healing and patience. I hope your day is peaceful. :flwrysmile:

Hello @Beacat
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Righty!
Wishing you a good week as you continue healing.
Stay safe and well. :)

I hear you on the shoulder pain! I had a lot of shoulder work done — torn biceps tendon, partially torn rotator cuff, and lots of arthritis clean-up. It’s never been great but has been a lot worse since the THR. I think a lot of it has to do with the death grip on the walker or crutches, and the fact that we are using our arms as propulsion devises to get around in bed. I hope yours gets better and I'll be following your progress. we can always ice, right?

Hello, Now it’s Lefty’s turn...Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re enjoying progress since you last updated. With two major surgeries so close together, there is a lot of healing going on now and for months to come. Brighter days are on the way.
Wishing you a great November!
@Beacat

9 months and a bit discouraged. Wondering if anyone else has similar experiences.

Sometime in late January, I was finally able to completely stop using the cane. After a few weeks without it, I did a major change in my bedroom. My nephew moved all the heavy stuff, but I emptied and refilled books from several different bookcases.
The next day, I was back on the cane for just a couple days, as my right hip said that was too much!

Succeeded in getting back off the cane after just a couple days, but sometime later, (couple weeks?), I went up and down some stairs without using a railing, and a couple hours later, the hip was again hurting enough to have to use the cane again. Again, just for a couple days.

But then, this past Sunday I took a longer walk outdoors, on a path in a field, not pavement (1/3 mile, at most). I did take and use the cane even though I had again been walking without it, (because I knew it would likely be stressful), but the next day, I again paid for it, back to the cane. Two days later, still on the cane, I carried a box of books a few yards, without the cane, and went further backwards. Still, took ibuprofen each episode, and that would help.

I am wondering if this back and forth will ever stop! Where the leg hurts is on top of thigh, above knee. Just saw my surgeon for an already scheduled follow-up, and he did say that more healing can be expected, but also said most of his patients are further along by now.

I know everyone heals differently, and I have been pretty good about not comparing. He explained that the pain is the bone hurting, because enough bone has not grown into the implant to support it enough.

However, one thing he said really took me by surprise. He said that if I was not satisfied with the results, that a new implant can be used, that is more aggressive. He explained "aggressive" to mean different materials (still not totally clear, I think the thought is that the bone would grow into a different implant better?). And said that if so, it would not be a decision to be made until two years past the surgery.

However, I had never considered the possibility that the gradual healing and back and forth could ultimately prove unsatisfactory, and require this procedure, another surgery!

He also said that if I was willing to accept the results, after more time goes by, that I would not need to do another surgery, it would be my call. Would appreciate any thoughts, as this idea was definitely disturbing. (Only my right hip gives me trouble, the left is fine. The right had been the worst, had ten times more swelling than the left, but he said that wasn't the reason that the right was not doing as well.)

Just saw my surgeon for an already scheduled follow-up, and he did say that more healing can be expected, but also said most of his patients are further along by now.
Try not to be too discouraged.
I bet that "most" of his patients didn't have two hip replacements, just one month apart. You're recovering from a double whammy of major surgery trauma.

Add to that, he chose to give you uncemented implants that need time for your bone to grow into them.

It sounds to me as if you consecutively did things that were a bit too much for your new hips, and that made you take a backward step each time.

It does take a full year for recovery, so your hips aren't there yet. You still have time for improvement.

If you're still having similar problems when the recovery year is passed, I suggest you ask to have X-rays done, to make sure that you have no loosening of the implants. By that time, loosening won't heal itself and you could need more surgery - but that's just a "what-if", not something definite.

Your surgeon chose to use uncemented implants. I'm not aware that any one of that type would cause your bone to grow into it more quickly. However, many surgeons use implants that are cemented into place and they are secure from the outset. I think that type may be what your surgeon was referring to when he said "more aggressive".

Meanwhile, I hope your episodes of slight over-activity have ended, and your hips will gradually settle down again.

Two comments and clarifications: one, I did have new xrays today, and he didn't indicate them showing any problem with loosening. And two, while the recovery was harder with their right hip, the right hip had also been worse from the beginning. But I think even so, you are saying that YES, that would also affect the healing
process. I will be sure to be cautious and give the hip a real chance to quiet down. In February I had thought all was coming along well.

My new hips complained whenever I did anything new for a pretty long time. Especially carrying anything heavy or walking on uneven ground.

I agree with Celle - don't be discouraged. If that hip was worse than your first, the recovery will take longer. Patience my friend!

If it makes you feel any better my left has been hurting and it's over 3 years. A few days ago the left was fine and the right was giving me groin pain and that one is over 1 year. As long as the hardware is secure I feel it's just the muscles that are angry. I don't have that deep bone ache any more and can sleep so the muscle pain I just accept.

Thanks, Eman85, and Jaycey. It is encouraging to know that all is still coming along, as long as I do not have hardware issues. And yes, I can certainly live with what is going on now, but want to be able to do more and take walks outdoors without pavement eventually. This is a much longer road than I knew to expect.

I haven’t posted in over a year, and my issues from that time have all resolved. Also, I just had my two year check up, including X-rays, and all is fine.

But one issue remains: I still don’t understand what it is that hurts when I have been in a position of standing up, but bending over, to work at the kitchen table or counter, or weeding outdoors, or standing up to sort books in boxes (I have a bookstore!). It also happens when I practice standing on one leg at a time, for 30 to 60 seconds. I know to expect it, and it is very short-lived, just a minute or two, so it is quite manageable. But when it happens, it is a VERY sharp pain. It is in the front of the thigh (both legs), hard to say exactly, but mostly from halfway up from the knee and higher.

When I first move out of the position, I always need to move carefully while it works itself out. When I was in PT and mentioned it, my PT person would say to have a ‘softer’ stand, and to take breaks from the position. It is not the “start up” pain from the early days of recovery, that is long gone.

But I don’t know why! Other occasional pains I have are easily attributed to tendons and muscles, and are usually in relation to some recent activity. I was told at my two year check-up that I need to do more stretching, and that some minor pains I had been having were still related to tendons and tightness. Also, because I waited nearly five years after first learning that X-rays showed arthritis in my hips, I had lost a lot of muscle tone and am still working my way back, so I understand needing to still stretch and exercise.

Would appreciate any thoughts anyone has, on what causes this particular pain and if others have experienced it or something similar, and also wondering if it might ever just stop happening in these activities.

:hi: @Beacat
Good to see you on the forum but I'm sorry it is due to concerns.:unsure:
This is a bit of a mystery as I don't remember seeing the discomfort as you describe it on Bonesmart.:what:
I know to expect it, and it is very short-lived, just a minute or two, so it is quite manageable. But when it happens, it is a VERY sharp pain. It is in the front of the thigh (both legs), hard to say exactly, but mostly from halfway up from the knee and higher.
Is the pain when you straighten up on both legs at Same time?
It makes me wonder if there is some back issue that could cause this?
I hope you get some feedback from someone who might have experienced the same.

I had this! L3/4 impingement. My doctor prescribed lyrica for the nerve pain, and sent me to PT. PT involved back and core work and traction. Gosh, I loved those traction days.
For me, it resolved over time with the conservative treatment. That was about 8 years ago, and has been good since.
I hope you can get relief too.

Thanks! Can you tell me a little more about how your symptoms presented? Did yours also only happen with similar specific triggering events? And was the pain as short-lived as mine, working out in only a couple of minutes? And how was it diagnosed? I would appreciate any information you might recall. 8 years is a long time, to recall specifics. Curious, that Mojo also speculated that it might relate to the back. I have no pain in the back, but does nerve impingement mean that certainly activities activate the impingement, and the pain goes away as it works out? Sorry for so many questions.

Let’s tag @subie2021 to make sure she sees your questions.

Hi @Beacat
I am sorry you’re dealing with the pain you described above. I hope you soon find answers that lead to the pain resolving.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom