THR One perplexing short, sharp pain after two years

Beacat

Country
United States United States
THR left hip 7/13, have been reading this forum a lot, and understand how easy it is to overdo it, and have had plenty of back and forth. This time, I had to drive 2 hours for my covid test and back. Felt ok during the drive
but the braking seemed a bit much. Pain now in front of thigh and am back to constant cane from almost no cane, and wondering how long it might last, and how I will manage when I have my left hip done tomorrow. Doing direct lateral approach. First hip had progressed well from crutches, to one crutch, to cane, to mostly no cane. Will of course be back on two crutches tomorrow.

Correction! First hip was right!

Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery! Thanks for joining us. I’m going to leave our Recovery Guidelines as they’ll still apply for, Righty, and with a second surgery tomorrow, hopefully the info comes in handy. Wishing you all the best tomorrow and hope to hear from you once you’re resting comfortably...and as time allows.
Take care and have a peaceful Sunday!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

A two hour drive is difficult with a new hip. I did not tolerate sitting in the car for that long very well and would take ice with me but also had to recline back (not driving) to give it a change in position.Your right hip will probably appreciate the extra support of crutches as it sounds like it is telling you it was tired and over used for this early in recovery.

Full recovery can take some time even up to a year. I wish you a successful surgery and a good recovery. Time and patience with slow and steady progress will get you to your goal.

Thanks, all you say is helpful, and I will get some ice packs for the ride home tomorrow. Of course I will not be driving after my left hip was just done today! Can't wait to get home to my own bed where I can actually sleep. It is nearly 3 am and I am awake!

Congratulations on your new double hippy status.
:happydance::happydance:
All done now.
I hope they are taking good care of you and it sounds like you have your pain under control.:) :-) (:
Home is definitely an easier surrounding to get comfortable in.
Quite alot on one's body...these two ops so take good care of yourself so you can heal quickly.
Next summer will be great with new hips.:SUNsmile:

Have a safe icy:ice: trip home. There is no place like home. Congratulations on your second shiny new hip. Have a peaceful evening.:flwrysmile:

Hello and Happy Wednesday @Beacat
Safe travels home today. Soon you’ll be resting in the privacy of your very own recovery nest. Aaah...so sweet. I’ll bet a nap or two will be on the agenda today. :sleeep:
Let us know how you’re doing as time allows. All the best as you continue the hip healing journey. :)

Thank you all, trip home was managed ok, getting into bed was really hard. Sharper pain in the back of thigh than with the first, but so glad it improved some in the night. And less swelling, don't know why. Taking all as easy as possible. Right leg acted up but also improved overnight. A delicate balance, to not overdue it, or overdue extra stress on my shoulder. But it really helps to have the experience of 7 weeks of recovery behind me. And of course many, many more weeks ahead.

I had a new concern today, a clicking sound that seems to start within hours of a painful movement I made getting my leg up on the bed. I checked with my doctor's physician's assistant who said it is normal. It could go on for weeks and not to worry. She said it is only a problem if it's painful or if the hip stops being able to bear weight. But it still was scary and I don't like hearing it. Does anyone have experience with this and if so how long it lasted or any other information? Thanks.

I didn't have the clicking sensation but many members have expressed they have.
Fairly common concern.
I am sure that anything that happens with this hip vs your first one will have you taking particular notice...would me, too.
That's why we tell members to try not to compare recoveries even with yourself.
Even though I had mine replaced simultaneously, there would be niggles one leg experienced and the other didn't.
I would think, oh no...what's wrong with this one?

@Eman85 I believe was one who experienced this phenomena, so perhaps he can let you know how long it persisted in his case.

It almost certainly stems from trauma to the local muscles and the encapsulating tissues of the hip. Stretching, cutting, separating and or other types of necessary surgical trauma to the tissues that provide stability to the joint can temporarily create looseness in the articulation. In addition muscle tone may be less than ideal because of the badly trained muscles of the preoperative condition and all the fluid around the newly placed joint. The noises created under this type of conditions generally are painless and can subside once the capsule and muscles around the hip are fully healed. Typically, it disappears progressively.

@Beacat I did have a clicking with my left hip. Not so much of an audible click as much as an internal type feeling. I guess it was a muscle or tendon moving over another causing that sensation. It did it for a little while and then magically went away. I had many other odd sensations and each hip was different. It's been a while now and I kind of forget all of the odd sensations. I have new sensations in muscles that I still deal with in both hips. Nothing debilitating or terribly painful but there none the less. It's hard in the early stages to stay calm every time there is a new sensation and definitely when you get to join the over did it club. And try as you may to avoid membership you will join at one time or another. Might be months down the road.

Thanks so much. It is good to know it might not stay too long, will just have to wait and see. So far, I think this recovery is easier than the first hip, which had been worse. But I did learn about the overdoing it club last month, so being very cautious. But I just do not like hearing sounds in the hip! Even with reassurances, they are disturbing.

The noise in your hip will just fade. Right now soft tissues and muscle need to firm up around the joint again. They will - just give it time. I had what I call clunking in both replaced hips just post op. Worry not!

Sending the following this morning to my Dr's medical assistant. Any advice?
My dressing was removed yesterday after one week. This time, my discharge papers did NOT include a sheet with detailed removal instructions as in my first surgery, nor was it provided to the health service I was discharged to.

The health worker removed the Aquacel Ag dressing and the steri-strips. He removed them very carefully, and all looked fine with no discharge.

However I knew it was different than the previous surgery and did want it left unprotected. So he covered it with a sterile gauze pad, as we did not have steri-strips.

Last night, I found the hospital sheet with information on incision care, and read that the strips should stay on until they fall off.

We got steri-strips last night and will apply them this morning.

Please let me know if this is the proper way to proceed. Also, is it still possible to shower after they are reapplied?

@Beacat you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Coming along, having difficulty with my right shoulder. Had some trouble with it after my first hip in July, babied it, and it improved. Well, it is starting to act up again, with the stress from crutches and moving around differently
in bed stressing it. PT suggested a heating pad, which helps some. Besides using it as little as possible and heat, any others ideas? It is stubbornly barely holding without getting worse, but also without improving. It still has range of movement but not testing it too much. And a steady throbbing below the elbow.

Aww, that’s too bad that your shoulder is bothering you as you’re recovering from both hips. Hopefully once you’re able to get off the crutches it eases fairly quickly :fingersx: I’d continue to use the heating pad if it’s helping and maybe OTC pain relievers to get you through...if you’re not already. I hope both hips are doing well and you’re enjoying steady progress.
Happy Saturday!
@Beacat

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom