BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

9 days away

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by moonwillow, Jan 12, 2019 at 1:33 PM.

1. moonwillow

moonwillow new member

United States United States
    Hello, I'm new to this group and am 9 days away from my surgery date. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I feel like I've been waiting for this day forever, but now it's becoming a reality. Any good advice for getting through the first couple of weeks post op?
    TIA

2. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I will give you some readings from our library. The first one will be the pre-op questions. I will put the post op readings in a different post so that it is clear which is which.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing hip recoveries

• Like Like x 1
  3. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

and here are the articles we recommend for those who are post op

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

4. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

The best I can tell you is prepare yourself to do little or nothing. It's really the best thing to do All you need to do is concentrate on being comfortable and resting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@moonwillow
    Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
    The best thing you can do in early recovery is let your hip heal, Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule as prescribed. The walking you do around your home is all the exercise you need in the early days.
    Joint replacement recovery is a Marathon not a Sprint.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will allow us to properly advise you. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:42 PM
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, Welcme to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
    The time leading up to surgery does stir up some anxiety.
    But the result of the surgery will amaze you.
    Recovery moves pretty quickly and you're going to love recapturing your life without the pain.
    We'll be here for support and encouragement so stop back often.
    Wishing you comfort as you await your date.
    @moonwillow

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @moonwillow
    You have already been given loads of excellent advice in the links above so I won't repeat any of that.
    What I will say is get all your comfort things around you. Whether that be in bed or a comfy chair, have things to hand.
    Books, crafts, tv remote control, have them within grabbing distance. You might not feel like doing anything and that's fine but if you want something it's easier if it's close by and you don't need to reply on others.

I love crafts, so prepared several bags before hand and although they weren't in grabbing distance (there is only so much you can get on a bed) I was able to say to my hubby can you get me the 'blue' bag and then I would know that everything I needed for a particular project would be there.

Best wishes for your op. I'm sure you will be fine

• Like Like x 2
  8. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

@moonwillow You have been given lots of good advice already. Some of what you do may depend on whether you are alone or have someone there to help. You might consider having some easy meals in the freezer all ready to heat. The suggestion of having something to do is a great one. I like to sew so was very soon able to sit at my sewing machine to pass the time. It did take me nearly 2 weeks before I could concentrate well enough to start reading one of the books I had gotten but that time frame seems to vary from one person to the next. I also spent endless hours here on BoneSmart. The support, advice and information I got on here was priceless. I also made a few new friends. If you look at the top of the first page of the pre-op forum, you will find a place to add your surgery date and you can also see who else is having their surgery the same day as you.

My OS said I would not need a raised toilet seat so we didn’t get one. A couple days after my surgery I learned that our local rescue squad keeps a supply of medical equipment on hand for people to borrow free of charge. My husband went over and found a shower chair which was a huge help for getting in and out of our tub for my shower. It might be worth asking around if you think you might need any equipment. Most insurances seem to provide a walker and cane I believe.

You will do just fine and I bet you will find recovery goes much better than you anticipated. Please keep us posted and be sure to ask any questions you might have as there will always be someone here with the answer I’ve found. Sending healing wishes your way...:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
  9. moonwillow

moonwillow new member

Thanks everyone for the advice. It’s nice having the connection with others that have been through this.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Read the links and posts on this site to prepare your home to make things easier. Every OS has a different program, some really prepare you and some turn you loose with no preparation for what is to come. Get all of the basics like a grabber,ice packs or machine,walker,cane,walking stick,raised toilet,sock aid,long shoe horn,slip on shoes and a comfortable chair. I'm sure I've forgotten something.