TKR 9 and 4 Months post-op

Niezy

Country
United States United States
How is the pain in your first knee compared to your second knee?

OP
OP
W

Westendavr

Country
And also dealing with low back pain when I do some exercises, like bridges, or laying down marches. What is Your experience?
I have low back issues also and I refused to do any exercises that would make my back hurt.

I was never asked to do bridges, or laying down marches, so apparently they are not essential for this recovery.

If any exercise hurts, don’t do it.

Thanks @Jockette. Very helpful!

OP
OP
W

Westendavr

Country
Hello everyone, I had a tkr on April 19. My first tkr left was November 11. Wow was this second one more painful. I’m eager to learn how you are managing.
Is there a reason you waited so long between the replacements? My doctor told me I can get a second knee two weeks after my first one!
@Niezy, there is no way I could have done the second one at 2 weeks. I had significant swelling with my first knee and about 30 degrees of motion at 2 weeks. The earliest my surgeon would have done it is 3 months, and then, only if I was doing really well and recovery fast. 5 months was early to do the second in my opinion, but my knee wasn’t getting any better and my undone knee was failing worse, so, I did the second one at 5 months.

OP
OP
W

Westendavr

Country
Here's a little update: I'm not sure what my flexion is now -- certainly greater than 100 degrees. I stopped pushing, and stopped stressing over it, and it's improving faster than the first one did. I'm grateful, and grateful to have more ability to just "live" rather than the intense focus on every little PT activity that was the hallmark of my first recovery. The exercises I'm doing now -- 9 weeks out -- are stretches, and work on balance and reactivating muscles and ways of walking that I no longer need. What a difference than before the first one. Am I pain free? No. Am I still? Yes. Is it improving all the time? Yes.

OP
OP
W

Westendavr

Country
I’m 9 months post-op r tkr and 4 post op ltkr. I’ve got left 115 usable flexion and right 105. I will se a stationary bike some to help keep and increase flexion on both. Extension is 0 left and with stretchingu 0 right. I’m getting about 4k steps a day, doing Pilates with an instructor and water aerobics.

What is your experience gaining greater flexion? And when have you felt like your endurance and strength is back to where you want it to be?

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Westendavr

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

benne68

Staff member since February 4, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
What is your experience gaining greater flexion?
Some of us just take longer than others to regain flexion. Here is a chart of progress of another member whose ROM returned slowly. At 9 months, he was about where you are, but -- as you can see -- continued to gain flexion into his second year!

Campervan’s ROM history
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months and still this now at 1yr 10 months

Patience is the hardest muscle to exercise in this recovery, but if you give it time, your ROM will continue to improve.
:flwrysmile:

Jockette

Staff member since March 18, 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
What is your experience gaining greater flexion?
After a very slow first year, my ROM improved quite a lot in my second year.

It was during my second year, also, that my endurance and strength improved.

Some of us just take longer than others. If there’s a next time, I won’t worry as much as I did this time.

OP
OP
W

Westendavr

Country
How is the pain in your first knee compared to your second knee?
Sorry I did not see this until now. The pain in my second knee was much worse in the beginning. Now, it’s about equal. It’s mostly just stiffness.

OP
OP
W

Westendavr

Country
I’m not exactly sure how to post this so it’s seen. Please clue me in!

after a super slow start to recovery, I noticed this week, that the swelling is nearly gone from both knees, I am walking well, my balance is good, range has increased by a few degrees in my right knee — maybe 110 now, and 120 in the left. Pain is gone, and stiffness is still there when I’ve been sitting for more than 30 minutes. The waiting for improvement is hard, and improvement happens! A friend who had bilateral tkr says she is just now, 2 years later, resolving pain and stiffness. Listen to me—patience!

benne68

Staff member since February 4, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
The waiting for improvement is hard, and improvement happens!
Yes it does!

Thanks for the great update on your progress. And, yes, we can see it. You are posting just fine!

OP
OP
W

Westendavr

Country
Hello! I'm now a year after my second TKR and 17 months after the first. My range in the left is good -- likely 120 most of the time, and probably between 110 and 115 judging on how I do on 8" riser stairs. Walking is easy. What remains a puzzle and has increased a little in the last few months is going up and down stairs. It always hurts. It's usually not terrible, though it's enough to discourage me from going up or down unless I need to. Has this been true for you? My surgery was at a teaching/research orthopedic hospital. They send questionnaires all the time. I've recently been asked about discomfort across the front of the knee. Makes me wonder if this is common. I'm eager to hear from you, and wish everyone in the early stages patience.

EalingGran

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Walking is easy. What remains a puzzle and has increased a little in the last few months is going up and down stairs. It always hurts. It's usually not terrible, though it's enough to discourage me
I am 6 months post my PKR and still find stairs tricky.
I have to do a lot as we have an old house with no toilet on the ground floor and a lot of levels.
My knee is gradually getting stronger but I can still trigger it if I do too much.
I am trying to work on quad strengthening and also losing a few pounds that I put on over Xmas- to see if that helps.
Where exactly is your pain?
I

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I'm over 6 years out and sometimes the steps hurt. My OS told me not to expect to be pain-free and I'm not. But, I'm many times better than I was before my tkr. I think as time goes on you will find that at times steps won't hurt at all, then other times, you'll probably feel some discomfort.

OP
OP
W

Westendavr

Country
I've had two TKR procedures. About two months ago, I began experiencing intermittent ache in the tendons in the front of my left knee, especially after sitting for 30 minutes or so. I've also not gotten to the place where going up and down stairs is pain free. Some days it's almost not noticeable, other days I'm thinking of ways to avoid the up or down again. I do have a follow up with my surgeon scheduled in another month, though in the meantime, do any of you have this going on as well? I anyone ever really pain free post TKR?

sistersinhim

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello @Westendavr,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

sistersinhim

BoneSmart Staff
Country
My OS years ago told me I'd be better but not pain-free and I'm not. But, I am better. That was my goal.

You can discuss this with your doctor when you see him next month.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kickna
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom