Bilateral THR 8 years without a hitch and now those familiar pains again

davidjb

Hello everyone, after 8 years I'm back and hoping for some much needed support. I had anterior approach BTHR in 2012 with no "real" issues since then. After some squatting and mild exertion associated with house painting, today I've started to have some dull pain directly out the side of the hip, as well as that pinching sensation in the groin area and just things I haven't felt since before the surgery. I'm scarred to death. I had very painful recoveries from the original surgeries and didn't expect any problems this soon. Is is possible that I strained something from stooping, squatting...etc. that would produce such sensations and soreness, or is this likely an indication of a larger problem? (my fear) Help is much appreciated.

@davidjb Welcome back! In my experience if I do anything "new" my hips complain. Certainly house painting and all it entails (ladders, stooping, squats) is something you don't do everyday. I would rest and see if this eases. A bit of Tylenol might help.

Please keep us updated!

Hi @davidjb
Your thread piques my interest as a fellow bilateral hippy.
I certainly feel anxiety rise from time to time as my mostly forgotten new hips will give me cause for pause with a niggle bubbling up unexpectantly.
I do usually find that it is due to activity and though I walk alot and have a very physical job, your story is serving as a reminder to me to reincorporate daily stretching.
At 4 or 5 months out, a good balanced PT said this will be the best maintenance for my new hips.
Once something is agitated, rest and ice is best.
But a.m.daily stretches can help keep our flexibility and warm up muscles we may only use sporadically.
Do let things settle before incorporating easy does it stretching.
This one has been most helpful to me.
. Figure Four Stretch
"This specifically stretches the piriformis and iliopsoas muscles (essentially your hip rotator and flexor muscles) and the IT band. Because of this and the passive nature of the pose, it is an excellent and gentle approach to helping relieve symptoms associated with sciatica and knee pain too.

• Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor.
  • Cross your left foot over your right quad.
  • Lift your right leg off the floor. Grab onto the back of your right leg and gently pull it toward your chest.
  • When you feel a comfortable stretch, hold there.
  • Hold for 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
  • Switch sides and repeat.
Stretches hips, glutes, lower back, hamstrings

Last edited:
Please don’t be afraid, I don’t think you need to be. I‘m guessing stooping and squatting aren’t moves you engage in daily and if so, most likely not for the length of time you did while painting. I know if I was stooping and squatting I’d experience discomfort afterward.

Consider OTC pain relievers as needed like, Jaycey, suggested and ice just as you did in recovery to help ease the pain and any inflammation you may be dealing with. I’ll bet you’ll be feeling better in no time. Please stay in touch and let is know how you’re doing.

Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.
@davidjb

@davidjb I agree, don't be scared. If these house-painting movements aren't part of your daily exercise regime, this could simply be your body reminding you you're not 25 any more (I know I know, nobody wants to hear that one!) If it were I, I'd stop those movements for now, rest, ice, tylenol (and I'm going to buck tradition here on the boards and add that I would also for myself throw in some ibuprofen, as that seems to work better for me than tylenol as an inflammation reducer) and see what happens.

It would also seem to me that since our original pain came from bone deterioration, and we no longer have that bone in our hips, whatever pain it is would have to be soft tissue. I do a whole lot of different movement types in my daily life, and each one has its own associated set of hip-specific soft tissue complaints. I must remind myself of the thing we used to tell ourselves when we drove antique Volvos-- if you replace a part, the other parts in that system are sure to fail from old age soon thereafter. So, my hips are new(ish) parts in a well-aged system.

Hi @davidjb,

I can relate to your panic.
Here is what my PT told me again today (going for 4 and one-half months post right hip replacement):

You are hurting/sore/tender after exertion because you are placing a strain/stress on your muscles/soft
tissues and your hip stabilizers (gluts/gluteus medius and deep 6, the smaller muscles in buttock) are not strong enough and not flexible enough to do the job you are asking.

Than, he usually asks me how compliant I am being with the prescribed exercises, vs. the activities I love to do (hiking).

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Scaredtodeath