THR 8 weeks post op, new to forum

:hi:Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hopefully it won’t be long now until you’re able to get back to the things you love.:happyfeet:
Have a great rest of the week!
@WannaKayak

Thank you, Layla! I'm having a little bit of a set back after overdoing it with walking to far and/or too fast.
But the advice on this forum has encouraged me and I'm hoping to get back on track.

Just think as a lesson learned as part of recovery. We all get carried away when feeling good after months or years of limitations. Glad to hear that you are getting back on track. Have a good day.

@WannaKayak aw sorry about your setback and welcome to the ODIC! (Overdid it club)

So here we have an opportunity for American contradancing. You're a caller-- I challenge you to write a no-contact dance! Shouldn't be too hard, right? And keep pairs spaced out maybe two repeats' worth somehow, so movement up the line happens half as often but very suddenly? Other possibilities could include "only dance with a 'podmate'" (no fair to singles maybe though)

Then all that has to happen is, somebody's got to buy more industrial fans for the church hall :snork: and the band/orchestra has to be down on the floor so they can separate.
I'm full of it, I am!

Good news! My husband, who had been PT for 45 years before retiring last year, worked on me...myofascial release, as well as releasing the periformis, IT band, rectus as well as the incision site. Woo hoo! Loosened me up a lot. Feeling optimistic today! Took a nice walk, but not as fast or as far. And icing and resting and elevating, too.

Those hubbies do come in handy, don’t they? Lol. Good to hear. When things in the hip started to relax a bit, I really felt like I could see life in a new light and with loads of promise. The patience thing was a little harder to come by but it did pay off. Best wishes as you also exercise that patience muscle. Slow and steady.

Hi ya @WannaKayak
Dropping by to say Hi :wave:and wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How has your recovery been since we last heard from you? We’d love to read an update if you have time to share one. Wishing you a great weekend and all the best as you continue healing. :)

Thanks, Layla! Yeah, it's been a busy few weeks. I have started kayaking! Yay! I went back to tylenol and advil before bed because I wasn't sleeping well to discomfort in my right hip (where I had the THR). Last week I reached another level of mobility with less soreness. My new adventure is trying to figure out why I've been experiencing palpitations. Stress test, echocardiogram and ultrasound of thyroid scheduled this week. My husband is also healing well from triple bypass surgery. Today we pick up our camper from the shop (postponed from June) and camping for a week.
Life is more normal until I have to get down on the floor.... Thank you for checking on me. I've been thinking that I needed to get in touch with an update. I've learned to not compare day to day, but week to week.

Thanks for updating, so good to hear from you! Kayaking, wow, that’s wonderful!

Sorry to hear you’re dealing with palpitations. Hopefully you learn it’s benign and your natural heart rhythm regulates soon. I’ve read that some commonly used pain relievers can contribute to an irregular heartbeat so hopefully it’s something that simple and easily remedied.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend and best of luck with all of your tests next week.
You’re going to have so much fun camping when you go. :happydance: Stay safe, well and in touch!
@WannaKayak

Hi Y'all! Just an update. Just had my 16 week post op two days ago. Met with the surgeon and he told me I'm textbook. Everything looks good. I told him how I was still feeling a pinch in my groin when I am sitting and I lean over to pick up something off the floor. He said that might not go away, just a limit to the range of the new hip hardware. And he also said that the swelling on the outside of the front of my hip may not ever go away totally as a result of scarring in the muscle by being stretched so far. The PA never told me that. I'd rather know what might happen than just "Oh, it'll be fine." Anyway, I'm walking hills and kayaking. I'm relatively symptom-free and don't really think about it too much anymore. Thanks for all your encouragement and support!

So glad to see another kayaker here! I was going to ask my doc about it when I go for my next appointment. My kayak is not the sit on type and I have been trying to envision how to get in and out and not break hip precautions. I also have 2 bum knees to replace in the future. I'm 5 weeks postop now.

Hi Creampuff! Yeah, you've got challenges there when it comes to kayaking. My husband has bad knees and getting into a kayak is hard for him. Here are some tips, which may or may not be feasible, but let's try...
1) Get a sit-on kayak. They're easier to get on with bad knees. Con: they are not as stable in moving water.
2) Always have a kayak buddy to help you in and out. I have a friend with bad knees and I have to hold a paddle like a handle for her to pull up on.
3) To get in, while the kayak is half on solid ground, I put one foot in, lower myself to sit on the back of the cockpit while holding both sides of the cockpit with my hands. It is important to get your bum on the kayak as quickly as possible. Once the kayak starts wobbling, you have more chance of getting hurt. Then I put in my other foot and lower my bum onto the seat.
4) To get out, while the kayak is resting half on solid ground, I hold onto both sides of the cockpit and raise my bum out of the kayak to the back of the kayak cockpit. Then I turn to the side with both feet out of the kayak into the water. With both hands on the kayak, I push up. Again, the quicker you can transfer your weight onto your legs, the better. It would be good to either push the kayak against something solid, or have someone steady your kayak. I'm usually the one with good knees, so I can't usually count on my buddy for help.
5) Use your paddle to help get in and out.
6) Practice getting in and out a few times before you take off.
7) Strengthen the muscles on the inside of your knees, as well as other leg muscles to help move with confidence.
8) Use extra cushions!
9) Start easy. Don't do a river trip until you are strong. And don't do a long trip until you know how long you can sit on your hip. And make sure you are ready if your kayak flips...can you swim with your new hip, and handle your kayak, paddle, etc. And how would you reenter your kayak?
Okay, I think that's it. I hope it helps!
Happy kayaking!

Informative - Your post has some great information for our kayaking members.

Happy Four Month Anniversary! I hope you and hubs continue to enjoy progress as you heal from your surgeries.
A great week to you!
@WannaKayak

Hah, I am a contra dance musician! In fact, my fiddler friend is coming by today to play some tunes and hopefully, take my mind off my upcoming surgery. Hope you'll be up and dancing soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie