TKR 8 weeks out

Hi everybody, I'm now just coming up to four months out from my 'new knee'. Had last surgeon's checkup & am now cleared to resume my golf - yah!. No more drugs, no cane & no physio but will continue my daily regime exercise bike, exercises & swimming.

I'm told I will continue to improve up till 12 months at which time that will probably be at where I'll stay. Walking straight with no limp & xrays show this too. Sciatic nerve still niggles but I can cope with that.

Any comments on that ?

Thank you everybody for all your positive & encouraging comments on my journey.

You are coming along great! Many of us continue to improve even after the one year mark.

@Kells with my first TKR two years ago I reckon it was about the 14th month that I forgot I had a new knee. Don't get me wrong, by about month 6 I was back to normal but I still had the wee warning light at back of brain saying to be careful if I was attempting anything new. But that gradually got dimmer and dimmer until it went out completely. You’ll find by month 12 your new knee will be a zillion times better than what you suffered with old knee and I’ll bet you will be 100% happy with it:yahoo:

No more drugs, no cane & no physio but will continue my daily regime exercise bike, exercises & swimming. I'm told I will continue to improve up till 12 months at which time that will probably be at where I'll stay ~ any comments on that ?
You've made good progress. Well done.

While it does take a full year for complete healing of all your tissues, it's still possible for improvement to continue long after a year. We've had people who discovered that their range of motion continued to improve, and others whose surgeons have told them to expect recovery to continue for 18 months to two years.

I now only have one problem & am hoping that this resolves as time goes on. I still have trouble walking for a long time before the back of my knee and side of my calf begins to ache/cramp. Luckily my golf club has a ride on cart which I am able to use for as long as it takes before I can totally walk the course.

but will continue my daily regime exercise bike, exercises & swimming. I still have trouble walking for a long time before the back of my knee and side of my calf begins to ache/cramp.
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Kells, it's unnecessary to quote a post to make a reply. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page where it says "write your reply" and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course - like I just did! Then do it like this How to quote a post.

write your reply.JPG

Thanks for understanding! :)

Always open to more advice. Incidentally today was a pin up day - I had my first hit on the golf course just four holes which is just under 1 kilometres the knee was fine with just a bit of ache towards the end but was ok when we stopped and I iced it when I got home. Slowly slowly and am hoping I will get walking fitter in time
Thanks

Yep, it's a gradual process but you're getting there bit by bit.

I still have trouble walking for a long time before the back of my knee and side of my calf begins to ache/cramp. Luckily my golf club has a ride on cart which I am able to use for as long as it takes before I can totally walk the course.
It's only three and a half months since you had major surgery. That's still quite early in this year-long recovery.
At this stage, it's normal to still have some pain if you try to walk too far, or for too long.

Be patient with your knee, and keep on using the golf cart until your new knee is older. As time passes, it will gradually be able to cope better with longer walks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom