TKR 8 weeks muscle spasms

Coucou

Country
United States United States
I had TKR 8 weeks ago. After two weeks I went to PT sessions three times a week where , besides exercises my knee is pushed on and folded to excruciating pain. I am at 123. The knee swelling and pain are much improved but two weeks ago I started to have significant pain and spasms in my whole leg. At times my leg buckles. The physical therapist says it is the sign of healing. Frankly although the knee pain is much better I am concerned. Is this normal ?

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I’m sorry you’re suffering pain and issues from what sounds like overly aggressive and unnecessary physical therapy. Its easy to assume the PT as the professional must know what they’re doing, but forcing your knee and causing you excruciating pain is not beneficial nor should you allow it. It sounds like you need a break from PT all together and hopefully with rest, ice and some easy walking along with the activities of daily living you’ll begin to notice improvement. It the spasms and buckling don’t ease, I think you need to contact with your surgeon, or his care team for advice or reassurance.

I wish you comfort and hope you’ll stay in touch for support. I’ll leave you our Recovery Guidelines and ask that you provide the exact date of your surgery below as well as which knee was replaced so we’re able to create a signature for you. Thank you in advance.
I hope you begin feeling better soon.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

The knee swelling and pain are much improved but two weeks ago I started to have significant pain and spasms in my whole leg. At times my leg
Hi @Coucou , I experienced a similar thing with my right knee a few months back and believe it was caused by over working my legs too many days in a row. I dialed back my exercise routines for a few days and that went away. The buckling was pretty unnerving at first but thankfully that resolved itself

I hope your pain, spasms, and buckling get better over the next days. All the best!

besides exercises my knee is pushed on and folded to excruciating pain.
This is inappropriate “therapy” for a knee replacement. You don’t have to allow this. This treatment is causing additional pain and inflammation. I’m amazed your ROM is as good as it it with this treatment.

This recovery is a long journey but if you stick with the BoneSmart approach the journey will be less painful and you will still reach the same final destination. Ultimately you get to choose the path, the tough rocky road through painful PT, or the gentle BoneSmart path through the meadow with the pretty wild flowers.

You do have the right to choose how you will rehab your knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom