THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Right its my 12 week anniversary today and things are progressing well I can walk without a limp now but I still have knee pain and hip ache pain but like all of you have said this is all completely normal for where I am early in my recovery I'm staying positive that 1 day it will all be worth it and life changing for me. And keeping as active as I can be with swimming and walking

Just a quick update my knee pain is slowly subsiding and I'm feeling alot better mentally and physically with each passing day swimming is really helping my mental health and physical health haply Saturday folks

Quick question I'm now 13 weeks post op should I start strengthening exercises if not when ?

Quick update I'm feeling mentally and physically better with each passing day but a quick question when I sit for more than 10 mins then stand up I feel a bit stiff in my hip is this normal for this?

Yes, you will go back to "normal" in time. I still get stiff when I sit for too long but I'm much older than you. What I can tell you is that almost 15 months after my surgery and at my age (71), I'm walking dogs 3 miles per day and I've gone back to work in restaurant where it is very busy and physically demanding. If you had asked me last year at this time if I'd ever work again I would have said a definite "no." Am I stiff and a little sore after I work...YES, but I can do it and I'm doing it.
But the body is amazing and we are all different which I know you have heard now frequently! LOL!
Hang in there, don't question every little ache and pain, they are all normal, Happy Easter to you.

:wave: Hi Spongebob,
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Have a great week!

:wave: Hi Spongebob,
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Have a great week!
Thank you I'm feeling so much better now physically and mentally sorry about the previous messages where I went on about the same thing all the time I now know its going to take time to get to be pain free but I know 1 day in the future it will happen and I can finally have my life back

So still to have hip ache at 13 weeks stage is normal?

Yes, aches and pains come and go. If your hip is a little sore ice for awhile when you have the opportunity.
What I meant was that my hip aches all day at the minute. I was wondering is this normal at 13 weeks post op

Well if it aches all day you are probably doing too much activity. So maybe do your activity every 2-3 days and the other days ice and rest and elevate when possible. I think you have gone back to work so work alone will make you ache. You can take Tylenol for the pain.
You cannot force your hip to heal any faster than it's going to take.
From everything you have asked here I think you received little to no direction from your health source once you were done. I'm sorry for that. But that's what we are here for because I also had no clue what to expect and found majority of my answers right here.

Well if it aches all day you are probably doing too much activity. So maybe do your activity every 2-3 days and the other days ice and rest and elevate when possible. I think you have gone back to work so work alone will make you ache. You can take Tylenol for the pain.
You cannot force your hip to heal any faster than it's going to take.
From everything you have asked here I think you received little to no direction from your health source once you were done. I'm sorry for that. But that's what we are here for because I also had no clue what to expect and found majority of my answers right here.
How long till you was pain free from the surgery

I really don't remember, I still have days that I'm sore after busy day, but today I'm pain free and don't even know I had a hip replacement. And I spring cleaned my bedroom top to bottom! Doesn't mean it's not on my mind but on the days I feel good I just enjoy it.
You are very very early in this recovery. And if you "push" through pain you are only going to make it last longer.
I don't have a crystal ball, I hope it's quicker for you cause I know you are young and anxious to get back to life.
And, you will...

I'm 8 weeks out tomorrow from anterior THR, and I cannot lift my right leg very far off the ground when laying on my back. There must be some muscle in the front of the thigh, as I tried leg lifts 3 times, and I was REALLY sore for 2 days after that. So I'm learning again (this is my 2nd hip replacement). that it does take time! I get frustrated sometimes, but today, I can tie my own shoes and put my socks on. This is a HUGE task for me and so grateful I'm getting there. As the saying goes...."patience is a virtue" Hang in there!
After your first THR how long till you was pain free (or as good as)?

@Spongebob
There are many recovery threads you could look through to see that this is variable...
recovery from THR is not the same for every person...

Most will tell you that it got better and less uncomfortable every month up to and even after one year...and many will admit that it was easy to set oneself back by too much activity too soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom