TKR 8 weeks and anxious

Ljtkr51

Country
United States United States
My tkr was 9/8/20. I’d like to be added to the correct post op page. This is my first post. Not sure if I’m doing this correctly.

My rtkr was 9/8/20. My rom is between 111 and 113. My os and pt think I need to be further along. My anxiety has me constantly nervous and I’m having a hard time sleeping or focusing on anything. I’d like to know how others deal with the anxiety and what makes it settle down.
Thank you for any advice

@Ljtkr51 Welcome to BoneSmart. I merged all the threads you started into this thread. This will now be your recovery thread. Please keep all your updates and questions on this thread so that we have all your information in one place.

Your OS and PT are pushing - and that just doesn't work with this recovery. I think your ROM is just fine for just weeks out of surgery. I would tell your PT to back off a bit. The slow and steady approach works much better.

Here are some guidelines that might be of interest:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you Jaycey, I have read through the recovery guidelines and it does make me feel better about where I’m at. I just can’t seem to settle my nerves down.

I ageee with Jaycey, your ROM is great! Sometimes our medical teams cause us so much stress, mine sure did.

Hang out here with us.
Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!

Wondering how others do with stiffness during the day. I wake up feeling pretty good and somewhat flexible so after walking downstairs I ride my bike about 15 minutes then do other stretches and a few exercises. I ice and elevate after because I still have swelling. Once my knee is warmed back up of course it’s stiff again. Once I walk a little it’s better but I feel like I need to start all over to loosen it up.

Stiffness can go on for many months (years even) post TKR. Continue to ice and elevate. All that stiffness is swelling.

Ok thanks for your info. It’s just frustrating.

Maybe a strange question but after I ice and elevate and let my knee come back to room temp, I am so stiff and tight. What am I doing wrong? I can’t always be swollen can I? It doesn’t look like it on the outside just on the inside of my knee.

Yes, even if you can't see swelling on the outside of your knee, the inside still has lots of it. Any amount of fluid inside that small knee capsule will lead to stiffness. Your knee is an infant so be sure you aren't overdoing, causing more swelling. Your #1 job should be to heal. Everything else should take a backseat for the next few months.

Ok thank you. I have read a lot of posts that say it takes time but it’s easy to over think this recovery. I feel good and pretty flexible in the morning, but after I’m up awhile it gets stiff and tight. I know time will help, I just get impatient.

I feel good and pretty flexible in the morning, but after I’m up awhile it gets stiff and tight.
That's because your swelling has gone down during the night. Once you're up and running around the swelling comes back bringing on that stiff and tight feeling. A swollen knee can't move as easily as one that's not swollen.

@Ljtkr51

Hang in there! I had my TKR one day after yours and I’m in the same spot you are...and you are doing really well. I’ve had all the questions you’ve had and gone through the anxiety of wondering if I’m moving along at the right pace. Once I backed off the PT my knee started having more good days than bad.

I still do some home PT but taking the BoneSmart philosophy to heart has worked for me. I’m very impatient to see improvement daily but that’s just not the way it goes. Scroll through the many posts of TKR recoveries on this forum and you’ll see how many of us are in the same place.

My biggest problem at this point is the mental part of waiting for my knee to get back to normal—the so-called “blues” that have been mentioned in this forum.

Take care.

Ihavetwins, thank you for making me feel ok about where I’m at. It is so easy to want to rush this but I know it’s not going to be like that. I start to second guess myself. I just ended pt last week. My doctor’s PA was ok with it, as long as I do my exercises at home. I also felt it too much for a healing knee with a lot of swelling during the day. I am going to follow the guidelines on this forum and pray for the best. I know one day this will be a distant memory and I’ll be happy I did this. Hope you continue to heal well and we see a light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Your posts remind me so much of myself! It is so hard, this recovery. Doubly hard for people with Anxiety and/or The Depression. I had BTKR the last day of August and I'm only just now starting to enjoy the rewards of going through a ridiculously heinous surgery. I was really starting to get frustrated and very sad right about the 2 month mark.

I was thinking about this... How after a certain point you can be overwhelmed with negative feelings and hopelessness. I have a couple of theories. One is that as we oh so slowly recover, we push ourselves a little more here and there. And it's very easy to overdo something and have your knee rebel. Remember you basically had a bad car accident on purpose. Your actual bones have been drilled into. (OK , maybe don't think about that too much!) Any wrong or too much micromovement can set you back quickly. Then it feels like you have to start all over again. And isn't that depressing?

My other theory is that in life, a most bump in the road type events either resolve or we acclimate in about 2-6 weeks. And there's usually a linear progression. So when you experience a setback in this recovery it can really feel like reality just isn't following the rules. Or that you did something wrong. So you're left with a very unpleasant cognitive dissonance.

So, I'm not saying it's easy. It's not easy. But there are some things you can do to cope. First, don't beat yourself up if you experience a setback after movement. Let yourself have a learning experience and try to be okay with just resting again. That's the hardest thing. But try to think of it as getting another tool in your toolbox on how to treat yourself slowly. Next, tune out, fire, or ignore 'professionals' who stress you out. Clearly, they aren't doing their job if it makes you feel anxious.

Don't over-think things and second guess yourself. The best thing you can do is keep participating in this community. You will always find positive support and excellent information. Most often you'll receive the positive feedback you need to stop second-guessing yourself and trust your own feelings and body. No one understands this like someone who's actually gone through it.

I am very grateful for how far I've come, but I see that this will be a long journey for me. I try to enjoy the new things I can do, like walk without looking like I pooped my pants. But I also try to stay as positive as I can when it gets difficult again. I think back to when maybe just getting to the bathroom unassisted was my biggest accomplishment of the day.

This forum can be a real boost. Just keep posting and reading here and it will help so much.

Oregon mom, thank you for all your kind words and insight! It’s hard not to complain to my hubby but I know he doesn’t really get it all the time. It’s so nice to hear from others who totally get it. I will take all your words in and try to remember them when I’m struggling again. I’m sure I’ll have more to post and hopefully the next time it’ll be more on a positive note. Trying to ask for patience is a daily part of prayer for me.

Ljtkr51, I don’t think I could have managed without this forum. As understanding as my family tried to be, there’s nothing like hearing from those who really understand what you’re feeling! There were so many days I felt like I was on a roller coaster...up and down. And while I still have those days, they have become fewer and far between as I get more back into life. Patience is so hard, I know, but time really does heal. Wishing you well!

I had my TKR October 13. I just found this forum and am so grateful! I have been struggling with most of the same issues - SO much pain ,stiffness, swelling, loss of ROM, no sleep loss of appetite, weight loss and depression because I feel I should be further along. I have had an MRI and an aspiration. I do not think my surgeon has realistic goals for the healing process. I was 110 degrees at 3 weeks and lost it due to swelling and I think because my PT schedule was too vigorous. I was going 3 times a week and working hard at home also. I Was put in an immobilizer brace for a few days. I am now about 6 weeks and back to 100 - 105 degrees.
Anyway, I want to thank everyone for your stories. Wish I found you all sooner. I will listen to my body more and set more realistic goals for myself. Healing the body is number one. This is a big surgery and I was not prepared at all for any of this before hand. Good luck and health to everyone.

@TKRsharon Hi and Welcome! It would be great if you’d start a Recovery Thread so we can get to know you better and discuss your recovery. Here‘s some information about starting a thread:

8 weeks out and I, too am grateful for this forum, the information and support. I've been in a mindset that if I have stiffness and not enough rom, it's because I'm not working hard enough. Now I'm learning how this sets me up for more inflammation, swelling, and discouragement. Best wishes for your gradual and eventual complete recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom