MUA A Year and Still Tightness

My RTKR was October 9, 2017 so in seven days I will be 8 months. My MUA was November 30, 2017 so I am 6 months. The doctor says he measures my recovery from the date of the MUA.

Should I still do my stretching exercises and the recumbent bike? Or should I give the knee time to recover from overdoing it?

If gentle stretching and the recumbent bike only cause discomfort that may last no more 24 hours, it is OK. Again listen to your knee, and moderate your activity accordingly.
The walking you do in your daily life is enough while you are letting your knee settle down.

I would give my knee time to recover!

Did you finish what you wanted to do with getting your deck ready for summer? If so, sit out there and enjoy it while you are resting and recovering!

Thanks so much for the replies. I did finish the deck. It is so hard not to be doing all the things I enjoy. I just don't understand why the recovery is so long. I was not told that it could be a year. 3 months and you will be good as new is certainly a lie in my case.

I agree, it is so upsetting when they don’t tell us up front what we’re getting into.

I’ve heard people say that if they did tell us, that we probably wouldn’t have it done. Well, it’s our knee that’s in pain, it’s our decision.

By not telling us, they set us up for what we consider failure and cause us needless worry about things that are within the normal range, but we don’t not know it at the time.

@Jockette I use to be able to change my thread title. I cannot find where to do this. I want to change it to 8 Months and Counting.

Ok, we’ll take care of that for you!

I will be 9 months out from my TKR on July 9 and am 7 months out from MUA. My OS and I came up with a plan to try to deal with the muscles and nerves that are causing me problems. I am going to a new physical therapy office. One therapist has tried trigger point pressure and suggested dry needling. The first time he did the trigger point pressure, it was very painful for a couple days. He also applied electrical stimulation and heat. The last time I went, another therapist did desensitizing by moving the knee cap up and down and back and forth (not painful), massaging and then used electrical stimulation with 3 heat packs that put more pressure on my knee. After that session, and I am almost afraid to say this, my knee has been better. The painful areas have lessened and it is not as stiff. Not sure if what they are doing has made the difference or if I have finally hit that magical time of "turning the corner" in my recovery. I am so ready to be healed.

Hi again, I just responded to you on my thread and asked how you are, before I saw this.

I was still pretty uncomfortable at 9 months, and sick of it!

You are brave to try those things at PT. I hope they help you. I don’t want anyone touching my knee, I don’t even like touching it myself. I’m glad your knee does feel better.

Sometimes this recovery is such a bother!

I am very careful how much I let them do. Trigger points was something I had researched and I actually use a tennis ball to put pressure on the trigger points. I am not comfortable with dry needling but have been researching it. I also massage the knee and leg every evening using Arnica salve.

I have no idea which of the things I am doing is helping. I am just grateful the stiffness is not as bad.

Yes, this is such a bother but we are determined to recover.

I’m glad you’re careful with how much you let them do. I like how you worded that. It sounds like you stay in control of the session. That’s good. I’ve read too many members’ experiences that my faith in PTs has dropped quite a bit.

I used to have that tight band feeling but, actually, I don't any more. I never noticed it going. I hope the same thing happens to you!

I love hearing this. It gives me hope .

I have had dry needling before, but on my tight muscles in my low back. It was the most successful modality I ever tried.

That is good to know @Mutti3. One of my concerns was infection but was told after 3 months the chance of infection was slim.

Usually we have no idea why our knees suddenly get better. If the timing corresponds to something new we have done, we credit the improvement to what we did. But it might just be coincidence; the knee might just have gotten healed enough at that point to feel that much better. So we say, “Well, maybe it was that...”

The thing is: your knee will lose that tight band feeling. Mine went away around nine or ten months. And even then it kept getting better and less tight. Everyone’s timeline is different. The day will come, though!

I am curious as to if the MUA helped your ROM, and if so, how much?
I will be seeing my OS on 7/5 and I assume he will suggest it again. Even though I am still only 80-85 degrees of bend on my 3 month revised knee, I can't think of anything that could convince me to have an MUA.
Something about it, the whole thing in fact, just doesn't sit right with me. I just see too many things wrong with putting me under for a fourth time and making my knees bend. It seems to me like a recipe for disaster, or other complications.
Even my barely one year old knee is still at 95 degrees, and has not changed in 10 months.
Both knees still have enough swelling, that increases with too much activity, which in my opinion, causes me to not be able to bend well.
I am holding out for time, as things keep healing, even though I am way behind schedule. Hopefully this lack of bend and all the problems I have had will gradually resolve.

The MUA was a success for me. My knee was so tight and very painful before the MUA. My bend increased and I never lost the bend after the MUA. However, my muscles were sore after the MUA but the knee was more flexible. For me, it was the right decision but everyone is different. What really helped me was the PT did deep tissue and muscle massage. I no longer use an Ace bandage or Tubigrip when I am in the house. I do use it when going out as the knee gets tired and the bandage helps with the tightness.

My MUA worked well and I was glad I had it done. However, it was after my MUA that I was at 85! After that it was just gradual improvement all the way. It was done at 12 weeks.
The OS for my most recent TKR is pleased with the result and I was 80 on discharge. However, having looked at my medical notes he feels that I might need another one but the signs are more hopeful. Fingers crossed.
I wouldn't be scared of another if it was necessary but really hope it won't be.

@spex11 I will keep my fingers crossed for you. We also have to remember that we can have a really good day then the next day the knee reminds us who us in charge.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back