THR 7months post Thr

Seanie2014

Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi, I’m 7months after thr on my right leg and still have a limp although it’s less at certain times of the day
I’ve little pain overall and take medication rarely but when I’m active a lot the buttock muscle gets sore ( gluteus maximum ) I think!!
The PT said my right leg is very slightly shorter but that our legs generally aren’t identical in leg and strengthening the muscles will help
I get despondent sometimes as I thought the limp would be gone by now even though my flexibility is great compared with before as I couldn’t even get my shoe on and used a cane all the time because of limping
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, Clare

I have heard similar comments re leg length. Sounds like your PT gets it. Perhaps a lift for your shoe would help? Good luck

@Seanie2014 ,
:welome: to BoneSmart!
You are a little over half way through this year long recovery, with time and practice your limp will slowly resolve.
We recommend if you are limping, that you use a cane so you walk with out a limp. Walking without a limp develops normal gait habits. Walking with a limp only reinforces your limp.
Your PT should be able to help you with proper gait.

Be sure you are walking with a heel to toe gait.
pastedGraphic.png

Sounds like you are doing well with increased flexibility, and little pain.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Seanie2014 I don't know if anyone ever suggested this to you - if they did you can ignore this - but did you change shoes after you had your hip replacement? If you did not - and are still wearing shoes that you wore frequently before surgery- then it is possible that the worn down soles of your shoes are keeping your gait in an old, limping pattern. So either get new shoes or find some in your closet that have mostly unworn soles.

With my right I had a muscle at the bottom of my butt to my thigh that stayed sore and wouldn't release. It kept me from tying my shoes for a while. It still gets sore but it never caused me to limp. It keeps getting better.

Thanks so much for all your replies actually I have new shoes, bought 3pairs because of the limp also I tried putting an extra insole in my shoe but it made no difference perhaps because my legs seem to be the same length
Never thought of using the cane again but I’ve noticed when I do I’m not limping so thanks it’s more vanity would stop me using it this far on but I will
If I’m conscious walking and do heal to toe n stand straight I’m not limping or when I get up in the morning as I’ve rested I imagine
No problem tying shoes, digging in the garden my flexibilities great
I had it done March 8th 2021

Just on leg length although my pt said last time the right legs slightly shorter I can’t see it as they seem identical when I lie down with bare feet and my daughters agrees could it be I had shoes on at PT

So is the work with the PT helping? I couldn't tell from your post. How long have you been going? You're six months out--that's when I went to PT. I thought my tissue was far enough along in healing for PT to be safe.

Your despondency is real and understandable. It's quite frightening when our recovery goes a lot slower than we had anticipated. Just a note: now is not the time to be "nice" with the PT. If you aren't getting serious and smart suggestions and some relief, consider getting to a different PT.

BTW: one thing the great PT's excel at is ironically improving our mood. Just having someone come up with a clear and precise diagnosis and a helpful plan and having someone help us be patient and to notice progress we are making--that's part of really good PT work. You want to find a PT who reassures you--you feel reassured (strongly so) that you are going to get better. My PT was masterful at this reassurance. Frankly that's a big part of the therapy.

I haven’t been here in a while, nearly 9months now and still a limp definitely not as bad although my daughter says my leg looks shorter when I walk but I’m not swaying as much
My PT is very uplifting, she’s says my flexibility is great and I’m definitely improving but it all seems so slow, I realize I’m not doing the exercises as much as I should.... Does getting the buttock muscles stronger help with the limp and is it natural for it to be sore after exercise? Any advice greatly welcomed

Does getting the buttock muscles stronger help with the limp and is it natural for it to be sore after exercise?
Stronger muscles should help with your limp, yes it is natural to be sore after exercise, it should not last more than 24 hours.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Hi @Seanie2014

So glad your limp is getting better!

Yes, recovery can be painfully slow, but it really sounds like you are on the right track and you have a physical therapist who listens to you.

I agree with @Pumpkin on the butt muscles and soreness. One thing about the soreness-- my body has a delayed reaction and gets sore 2 days after, which apparently is not uncommon. But you shouldn't be sore for days on end. If that's the case, you've overdone it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom