TKR 7 weeks post op

Knee13

Country
United States United States
I am 7 weeks out and can only bend to 50 degrees, it feels as though something is wrapped around the top of my knee not allowing me to bend any further. My therapist is working very hard at trying to help bend the knee but it just won't go. I am starting to lose the burning knife sensation in my thigh but I just can't get my knee to bend. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated as I am very disappointed with surgery #13. Doctor promised me I would be so happy after 37 years of suffering with a bad knee, really regretting my decision right now. Surgery date was May 30, 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knee13,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
You are still very very early in this yearlong or more recovery, though most start feeling a lot better around 3 months, most start to feel a lot better.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you, the exact date will help us advise your properly, Thanks!

t feels as though something is wrapped around the top of my knee not allowing me to bend any further.
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee , it should go away with time as you heal.

My therapist is working very hard at trying to help bend the knee but it just won't go.
Pushing and shoving on your knee will cause increased pain, inflammation, and swelling, blocking your ROM. It is time and healing that gets you ROM, no need to push or work at ROM ("work" can set your recovery back).
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
ROM: it's worth the wait for ROM
ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM!
ROM (range of motion) information

Suggest you slow down and let your knee heal, here are the recovery guidelines for you.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

How is your swelling? I was a bit slow getting bend because it took a long time for the swelling to come down. If it's swollen a lot it won't bend no matter how much they push on it; and pushing on it makes it more swollen.
How much are you icing and elevating?

it feels as though something is wrapped around the top of my knee not allowing me to bend any further.
Mostly that would be this "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee but your pain is most likely inadequately managed.
I am starting to lose the burning knife sensation in my thigh
I think that's most likely Tourniquet pain
My therapist is working very hard at trying to help bend the knee but it just won't go.
Worst thing possible to do!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom