7 weeks post op TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josephine, I guess maybe I mis-spoke when I asked Doug about something 'breaking loose'. I was, more accurately asking if maybe an adhesion had popped free. Sorry for the language problem.

TKR,
All of the nine have been on the right knee. I've had incisions, scopes, and combinations of both. Some have been for removing cartilage, transplanting ligaments, and the 8th for debris removal.
I've been hard on the knees. I went from football to competing in martial arts, to doing S.W.A.T. for years and all the while power lifting, doing heavy squats.
The TKR was definitely the BIGGIE though.
I'm icing the knee for hours today and taking big doses of Advil. I'm going to soak it later and do some minor bending/stretching.
If it feels o.k., I'll jump back on the walking/cycling tomorrow. I am so tired of sitting around....Especially since it is sunny and 81 degrees here in Tallahassee, Fl.

Thanks Josephine.....It sure made me slow down for a couple of days.

Doug, you've had quite a bit of attention on your right knee! My right knee was replaced...used to do body building in the late 70's and LOTS of squats with heavier and heavier weights and LOTS of leg presses. Through the years noticed difficulties in both knees and about 8 yrs ago, we were out with family/friends to Universal Studios and, to show my teenage daughter how "fit" her mom was, decided to walk the enormous lengths of steps inclined from the theme park all the way up to the City Walk, in lieu of the convenience of the escalators located parallel to the steps. At the top I knew I'd done something to my right knee, but ignored it. Subsequently, pretty much ignored my high-heel shoes along with the pain and about 3 yrs ago had to get injections just to go on vacation and get through. Ortho surgeon said I was too young (53) to have TKR so in Nov of 2006, had meniscus removed but pain never went away and by mid-2007 I knew I was walking bone-on-bone. Ignored it as much as possible until end of Nov 2007, took a detour after leaving work to go directly to the ortho doctor, he took x-rays and confirmed the bone-on-bone and recommended TKR. Left knee still has some cushion, but am sure it will go in a few years (or less!). What a trip this has been. I had no idea the recovery would be so challenging - OS never mentioned it. Seems many docs (HMOs only?) are one-dimensional - they are not actually functioning as gate-keepers for your recovery. He performed the surgery, prescribed the pain pills, does follow-up visits, and then you're off his list. He's not interested in the struggles as a patient...he figures PT does their thing, I have to do my part. His approach has bothered me considerably. When we visit the OS, he's a whirlwind in and out. Some of you on this site seem to have great rapport with your OS...what a blessing.

I am 8 weeks post-op tomorrow...biggest challenge is up/down steps right now. Now have 1 PT appt per week, but would like more. We go the gym now, too. Except for this wonderful site, I'm on my own! Take care and feel better.

TKR,
My doc was(is) fantastic. I taught him how to lift weights when he was 13. He told me to limit myself during the first three months on any leg presses. No more than 150lbs and about a 30 degree bend. I guess a quarter leg press. High reps 15-20. Lots of bike, and walk. I live in a two story house and the stairs are getting easier. But I warned my wife and son not to be in front of me when I first wake up. Bombs Away!!!!

TKR,
My doc was(is) fantastic. I taught him how to lift weights when he was 13. He told me to limit myself during the first three months on any leg presses. No more than 150lbs and about a 30 degree bend. I guess a quarter leg press. High reps 15-20. Lots of bike, and walk. I live in a two story house and the stairs are getting easier. But I warned my wife and son not to be in front of me when I first wake up. Bombs Away!!!!

Does the last sentence have anything to do with TKR or is that just a general warning?

It means when I first wake up the leg is so stiff they better not be in front of me on the stairs....If I fall, they're crushed.
I knew if anyone would pick up on that it would be you, Patti, or Skeet. Yep, three mousketeers!!

Remember my former profession??? It's called entrapment!!!

TKR,

We, too, live in a 2-story house and I use the steps all the time for exercising..in fact, i try to use everything including the walls, railings, chairs, the couch, the bed - in addition to leg presses on my husband's Total Gym (no incline involved) to keep my knee in some kind of motion. I find that after a rigorious day of exercising, sometimes I'm spent for the next day as the knee becomes so painful. Then I just get back into it again, and the cycle repeats with the stiffness and pain and some healing/progress. Tiny increments. But they add up. I try not to allow myself to get depressed any more because I do see progress. This site has been an inspiration for me. Glad to hear you have such a good doctor!

Heh, heh, heh. Spoken like a mother!!

Gatiger, after my knee #1 replacement, there was a point when I hit a plateau with flexion and thought I'd be stuck there for life. But then one week, from the beginning of the week to the end of the week, I suddenly made progress of a few more degrees, and then kept going some more after that. My memory is that it was between two - three months out. So don't assume you won't progress in 6 days - - it can happen!

If memory serves (and after major surgery it doesn't always) it seemed to be in part because I was finally able to get some more of the swelling down. That would have been due to my NSAID, ice and/or elevating the leg some. (I think it's that your knee should be higher than your heart -- at least that seems to be working after knee #2, one week post-op.)

You're doing good work, so I'd lay money on your improvement. All the best!

I had a great doc, too. Always available, takes time to answer any and all questions, listens well. He's young, only 36, and just starting into practice. I was a bit nervous about that but he is amazing and I've recommended him to several folks at my work.

Gatiger, after my knee #1 replacement, there was a point when I hit a plateau with flexion and thought I'd be stuck there for life. But then one week, from the beginning of the week to the end of the week, I suddenly made progress of a few more degrees, and then kept going some more after that. My memory is that it was between two - three months out. So don't assume you won't progress in 6 days - - it can happen!

If memory serves (and after major surgery it doesn't always) it seemed to be in part because I was finally able to get some more of the swelling down. That would have been due to my NSAID, ice and/or elevating the leg some. (I think it's that your knee should be higher than your heart -- at least that seems to be working after knee #2, one week post-op.)

You're doing good work, so I'd lay money on your improvement. All the best!

Thanks Miss B for this encouragement. I am stuck at 90 degrees, I am 10 weeks tomorrow. I also have swelling I can't seem to get rid off, I ice and elevate too. What is NSAID please? My PT says the swelling is holding me up. I just started taking Ibuprofen yasterday as well as my Percs, so I am hoping this might help in a few days. I thought it might help me sleep too, I took 2 Percs, 2 Ibuprofen and 1 Sleep MD and I still tossed and turned all night. I"ve been awake since 5am, so I just took another Perc for the pain and am waiting for it to cut in, and then grab another hour or so before physio.

Good luck with your new TKR, I couldn't sit at my computer for 3 or 4 weeks after. Regards, Sue

NSAID=Non Steroidal Anti Inflammant Drug.
Basically, over the counter meds. Aleve, ibuprofen.
I posted yesterday that I've had two Surgeons tell me that to get to the anti inflammatory level, you have to take 800 mg's(4 pill's) of ibuprofen. I was told to take the 800mg. every 8 hours. 400mgs(two pills) is a general headache, body ache level.
**You have to take any dose with food.
I've heard of a couple of friends taking 1000mgs.
And I would recommend asking your Dr's advise. It is large dose but then, we have a large cut!

Word of caution - NSAIDs are good pain/inflammatory reducers BUT they can also cause problems in the stomach so be wary of them. Never take them on an empty stomach and if you get any episodes of heart burn or reflux (burping with or without a bit of regurgitation) don't ignore it, seek medical advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom