7 weeks post op TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug, I hope you feel better as the day goes on..
The hospital I was at kept us 2 weeks. Well, this man gets the "pop". Next thing you know he's doing squats! For myself, I came into this thing with a ton of scar tissue, and I'm in no hurry to hear anything!
I think we need to listen (pop or no pop) to our bodies. If you need to keep it up and ice it, then do it!
I keep reading about folks taking ibuprofin. I am still on blood thinners and was told that anti inflam's were a no no. I wish I could take Advil, because for me it works better than narcotics. (I have a very high tolerance due to 26 yrs of knee problems and 9 surgeries)
When did you all get off blood thinners?
Faith

This was my ninth knee surgery in about 29 years. It is kind of funny when a nurse starts to explain the whole surgery thing I just smile...Been there done that.
I had to give myself shots of blood thinner for two weeks post surgery. It wasn't bad at all. My wife is totally terrified of needles. The first night I had to to the shot, I was standing in the kitchen. She was kind of watching out of the corner of her eye. I cleaned the site, took the syringe, and jabbed it in. When I did I let out a yelp just to see what she would do....She darn near passed out. I was laughing with the needle still stuck in my stomach. Needless to say, there I am, four days out of the hospital in BIG trouble.....I blamed temporary insanity on the drugs.

Good morning Doug,
I thought of you this this morning when I was doing my morning knee stretching exercises. My knee did it's morning "pop"(just a little one today) and I wondered how yours is doing. Sounds like you are taking it easy and hopefully it will be much better after some ice and TLC.
Take it easy.

your messagesd have helped all!! Im am still working hard and fighting the good fight. I am at 10 degree straight and 98 Bend at 9 weeks from tkr, Im not sure how good it is, but I am told I am running out of time (3 Months after TKR they say, the knee kind of sets) I may have a second Minipulation to get close to my goals of 0 Degrees and 111 on flex. By the way the anti-inflamatories Really Helped!! Thanks all again, and I wish you all the best of luck on your journey

Remeber to Pray It helps!

Young turk

Well thanks for the thoughts. I'm going to sit down and ice it all day. Yesterday when the big pop happened, I couldn't isolate where it happened. It was too major of a pop. I saw stars. Today it is very sore at the right rear area of the knee.
Fortunately for me this is a NASCAR race day, and I got addicted to it some years back..I Know, I know. They go fast and go in a circle. I used to think the same thing until I forced myself to watch one.

Popped in the back of your knee? Ouch. Mine pops on the top and is painless. Sounds horrible but doesn't hurt.

My PT says my knee swells across the back because there's not many other places for it to swell so my knee gets pretty tight back there sometimes. Also there is a connection to your hamstring muscle there, which I think is one you use in bicycling a lot. Do you pedal both forward and backwards? Depending on how you are pedaling (actively going both up *and* down or just letting one leg work at a time while the other one goes along for the ride) and the direction you are pedaling you put more stress on your hamstring, I think.

If this doesn't respond to the rest, ice, and elevation treatment you might want to call your doc this week....

(They have me doing a lot of bicycling in PT now as a part of my back and knee rehab. My hamstrings are pretty sore and tight and I was doing some research into it last night.)

If it doesn't feel better I'll give the Dr. a call. My cycling has been one of my strong points. All forward. My legs are pretty strong and I have had no problem with extension post surgery. I was pretty much at 0 the day after surgery. I'm suspecting it is the tibial band which I will work on when the inflammation goes down. I believe the root of all this is my tendency to over work it.

We are just a bunch of over achievers! We need to learn to relax more and take it slow. We aren't 25 any more. And NASCAR is so fun! Once you understand the strategy, the spotters, teamwork, fine tuning of cars... it's a great sport. You partial to any particular drivers?

I've liked Tony Stewart since the first race I saw him in. But he seems to have gotten a little too temperamental. My next favs would be Johnson, Gordon and Martin. I like about 95% of the drivers actually. They seem to be a pretty good lot. I can't recall any off track controversies. No hookers, drugs,etc. But then they aren't politicians!!
Who are your favorites?

I like Gordon, Edwards, and Earnhardt. I don't like Stewart due to his attitude. I agree that the whole lot is pretty darned good. Sure nothing like football, baseball, and basketball players...

Hi Doug, Sorry about your "POP". Not been able to get online all weekend so catchiing up now while it's quiet. Haven't slept much all night, again!! I've been online since 4am. catching up on threads. Kevin's in Europe now so no one to disturb at least!! Hopefully it may have been something good happened to your knee, my OS said you can't damage the prosthesis by exercising, so to push it as much as I like (obviously he has never had a TKR himself!!)

Take care, rest and ice. Hugs, Sue

I spent the entire day yesterday with ice on it and kept it elevated. Took tons of Advil....I am going to leave shortly and see how it does on the bike...If it messes up I'll call the O.S.
Thanks for the thoughts and hugs. My mom always said hugs were the best medicine and I completely agree.

Doug, I've tried to keep up with your 'pop' issue and I'm glad you're doing better. Have you noticed any difference other than the soreness since?

tomf13
having the same trouble in pt and this week my guy will try to put warm towels on me first and try to streatch it more and at the end of pt he will use ice.

i take two advil twice a day for sweeling .

i start week 6

Gat,
I went to the gym this a.m. and really took it easy. I got on the bike and used about half the resistance I normally do. I started with the seat very high and every five mins, I drop it down. I stopped two numbers shy of my lowest. I didn't do anything else.
Now I'm home with it elevated and iced..Not doing anything else today.
No more loud pops.
When it did happen, It hurt so bad and was so sudden, I didn't know where the pop happened. I was launched off of the bike and sucking wind in. I couldn't even cuss. (I know, it is one of my last bad habits).
Yesterday, the area at the right rear outside of the knee was where it hurt the most so I assume that is where it did the pop.
I'm going to soak it in the hot tub and do some soft stretching later.
Thanks for asking.

Tom13,
I was told by two Dr.'s to take 800mgs of Advil 3 times a day to control the irritation.
Make darn sure you take any amount of Advil with food in your stomach.

Thanks, Doug. I imagine that was one of those scarry moments. Didn't know if you thought maybe something 'broke loose' as they say. Just checkin.

I thought something broke loose. I haven't really pushed it to see if there's any more bend. I'm kind of "skittish" about it right now. I know my butt "broke loose" from that bike seat.

You can't break anything loose, Doug. That old thing is glued in there good and tight, believe me! Worst you could do would be to sprain a ligament or something.

This was my ninth knee surgery in about 29 years. It is kind of funny when a nurse starts to explain the whole surgery thing I just smile...Been there done that.
I had to give myself shots of blood thinner for two weeks post surgery. It wasn't bad at all. My wife is totally terrified of needles. The first night I had to to the shot, I was standing in the kitchen. She was kind of watching out of the corner of her eye. I cleaned the site, took the syringe, and jabbed it in. When I did I let out a yelp just to see what she would do....She darn near passed out. I was laughing with the needle still stuck in my stomach. Needless to say, there I am, four days out of the hospital in BIG trouble.....I blamed temporary insanity on the drugs.

Doug, am catching up on weekend threads...and your POP situation. What a scare that must have been! Hope you are doing better today. Have been experiencing some POPs every day lately and have wondered what these were all about. The responses to your major POP have helped.

Am curious about the 9 surgeries in 29 years part....how many of these were TKRs? Assume these surgeries involved more than 1 knee, right? You must be a pro at this . . . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties