7 weeks post op TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I can't recall what my expectations were. I wasn't prepared for the insomnia, depression, and total fatigue. My Dr. has been great with pain control.
This forum, the information, and the friendships has been one huge help.

I'm in the big boat with you guys regarding the depression and difficulty with therapy. Without His help and the great people here that He put me in touch with, I wouldn't have made it.

I never had challenges with my PT, it went smoothly, but the depression, insomnia, and exhaustion were a real surprise to me. I now take double my anti-depressants, sleeping pills, and make sure I get to bed around 9 pm. Thank God there are solutions, even if short term. They are short term, aren't they? I hope the depression improves with the sun in the spring and that I can gain my strength back. I want to go hunting over Mothers' Day weekend and we usually walk for 4-6 hours non-stop. Right now I can go about 20 minutes tops. Advice anyone?

Skeet,
I know you working and have all of the mom/wife duties as well but are you able to spend some time on a treadmill?
I just tested one out yesterday. I wanted something in addition to the bike. I still like the bike but I'm getting tired of my whole life being centered on how far I can bend this darn leg.
I'm at 8 weeks today and I think the pre surgery pain, the post surgery pain/lethargy,and pill has gotten me terribly out of shape.

Yes, we have both bikes and treadmills here at work. I hate the treadmills... can't last long. Guess that is a sign I should use them more. I'll have to bring my work out stuff in and try it out. Maybe this weekend.

Just think about running down one of those jack rabbits you hunt.

14 Weeks, that is 3.5 months, 4th of July time. OK I can see that.

For me it is only 1.5 weeks! I'm at 13 weeks on Monday. And I visit my OS then. Can't wait to see what the ROM is now. or maybe I CAN wait.

I havent been here for awhile.. but I have been freaking out.. my surgery was Feb 4 and I am still struggling with chronic pain.. go to bed with pain.. wake up with pain.. take my meds.. have a couple of hours relief and then here we go again.. and therapy -espically at home- has been hell.. and not much progress.. finally i went on melt down called my dr's nurse.. and finally after all this misery .. she suggested adding an additional pain med plus ibuprophen... i havent gotten the added med but have added the ibuprophen..... good grief.. my life has changed... i can do the threapy there is hope for me not to be crippled from this surgery forever... i can even walk fairly normally.... not with a straight leg and flat foot... PRAISE GOD!!!! I am over joyed.. it is the first time I have thought I might have a chance to recover at all.....Add the nsaids... you will be thrilled with the outcome!!!!!

Blessings Linda

I am so glad to hear you have found some relief. We are all so different and do not all respond to the same "helpers", but it is good of you to share something that is helping you!

It seems like a long time since your KR, but in the big picture you still have a long way to go. Hang in there. One day at a time... it really is the way to look at it.

So do what makes you feel better and take care of yourself! Better days are coming!

Good to see you back!

I went to my Dr. for my 8 week check up last week. He said he would have been surprised if I was pain free. He gave me 50 more oxycodone's. I have also added the ibuprofen because I keep irritating my new knee and my old one.
Great to hear you got some relief

I cannot take Ibuprofen, but I did add Alleve... not sure it is working. Will also try Tylenol if Alleve doesn't do it. The pain is much better these days. Now it seems to be the swelling more than anything else. And of course the blues still hit when I over do it and I'm tired... like today. How I do love you all and your ability to lift my spirits. God bless you all!

I still have lots of swelling. I was able to make it through the whole day with only 1/2 pill this a.m. Now tonight after walking in the sand at the beach...whole pill..
Plus, I had a very strange thing happen this a.m. at the gym. I was on the bike, well warmed up. I had lowered the seat and was spinning away. I changed my foot position and it really put a bend in my knee. I had a large pop go off in the knee. I didn't have the foot stirrups on the pedals. I literally jumped off of the bike and yelled. Several folks who knew I had TKR came running over. I limped out, got in my truck, went home and iced. It was very sore for several hours and then the pain went away. My knee is very swollen (have to be careful how I phrase that after the other day) tonight
Anybody else have a pop like that??

MAN...we've had storm after storm come through the piedmont of North Carolina this afternoon. We're still under a Tornado Watch. This weather is KILLING my booboo. My sister in law came by this morning. She had her knee replaced 5 months ago...she has no pain...no limp...she's good to go. Yippeee....there's hope for me!!

Sorry you have a big fat monkey knee, dougie....(did you send me this crappy weather?)

We only had a drizzle yesterday. Started the day out cloudy but it cleared out.
Yep the monkey is swollen. Oh well, with dope there's hope!!

Doug--
My new knee pops every morning when I do my stretching exercises. It actually feels better after it pops and moves more easily. Jo said it is my ligaments and new knee "getting to know each other".

Sounds like you might have broken through some scar tissue or adhesions. Keep icing it and take it easy----- didn't you just say you went walking at the beach today??????-----and it may turn out to be a good step in your healing and increase your ROM. My OS says we really can't cause damage our new knees by exercising them. Doesn't mean they don't hurt more, tho.

I guess there is a reason why they always make me put my feet in the pedal straps at PT, huh? I will remember that!

Take care and ice, ice, ice.

I still have lots of swelling. I was able to make it through the whole day with only 1/2 pill this a.m. Now tonight after walking in the sand at the beach...whole pill..
Plus, I had a very strange thing happen this a.m. at the gym. I was on the bike, well warmed up. I had lowered the seat and was spinning away. I changed my foot position and it really put a bend in my knee. I had a large pop go off in the knee. I didn't have the foot stirrups on the pedals. I literally jumped off of the bike and yelled. Several folks who knew I had TKR came running over. I limped out, got in my truck, went home and iced. It was very sore for several hours and then the pain went away. My knee is very swollen (have to be careful how I phrase that after the other day) tonight
Anybody else have a pop like that??

I recall the "getting to know each other" comment. If mine were doing that then they are darn well acquainted now. But I do think you are right about it.
If I had had my feet strapped on the pedals, I would probably have turned the bike over. It was like I had been hit with a sledge hammer.
I've now had ice on it for almost three hours. Plus one oxycodone, feeling right and watching Law and Order.

L&O - one of my personal favs. Hey, Doug, man I am praying for you that the pain will subside and not be an ongoing issue of any kind. Take it easy, dude. Are you trying to outdo Pattipoo?? Don't even try that, mister. She rules and no one takes out the queen! I really feel for you and hope the pain is minimal and short lived. I'm sitting here with ice on my knee right now. Took a pain med today... first in 3 days! Feeling more human already.

Skeeter...how did you feel when you didn't take any meds? Flu-ish?
Yeah!..what she said, Douglas...quit trying to horn in on my "bless my heart" time!

Happy Palm Sunday, gang! I've thought about Jesus all morning.....how bitter sweet it must have been for Him to be receiving ALLLL of the accolades on Palm Sunday knowing what was in store for Him. Whoa...I'm stopping allllllllllll complaining RIGHT NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie