7 weeks post op TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skeet...I made the mistake of taking a full dose of meds early in my return to work....whoa....el biggo mistako! NOW....at lunch time, I cut a #5 percocet in half...take it with my food....and can actually do hardcore account work. It's all worn off by the time I have to drive home.

My dr would not allow me to have percocet after 3 weeks I think, had to switch to vicadin. I take that at work if I need to and it doesn't do weird things. Maybe that would help, not sure though each of us are so different when it comes to reactions to pain meds. I do know for sure that no matter what we are on, you have to cut down slowly or there are withdrawal symptoms.

I only take 2 a day usually, but today, my first day in the office started at 6 am, then left at 10:30, went to KMart, then home, napped for an hour or so, had to go pick up my son from school, came home for 30 minutes, then into town for dinner with my manager and staff, now home. I took an extra pill mid-day. My Norco is 10/325, so I am going to look for my 5/500 ones that I had for surgery 6 weeks prior to my TKR. That might work better for me at work. I have to go back tomorrow afternoon (my last day of only 4 hours a day). I'm sleeping in!!

Gatiger,
I think your doc should be pleased where you are and I think you should too! If you are happy and you feel good, don't let a number that they have set for the goal for the millions tear you apart. Keep working, keep your chin up and just be happy with what you are getting. Not like you are back to 85 or something like that, then I could see being worried about the surgery way, but it seems really strange to me that they would do that do you at 115. All docs are different though and have their own opinions. Who the heck am I to spout off about the medical field. Just think that we do have to take control of our own bodies sometimes. I am so thankful for the drs and the PTs, what would we do without them? But they are not inside our bodies and can't feel what we feel and it is just not physical, so much goes into this healing. No one knows what you can handle on any particular day except you. They can try to drive you, but you are the one really behind the wheel. I think I am responding to a comment you have on another thread, sorry about that lost my spot, but you seemed so hard on yourself.
Take care, I think you are doing wonderful.

I agree with you Kath. I am better off now than before, I can get around and do; I'm OK. I have met the most wonderful group of people I have ever known. They care, encourage, comfort, cheer-lead, and chastise when needed. I have, not once, asked for help and not received it in abundance. They are people from all over, different lives, different experiences all brought together in an effort to first, find comfort and help for themselves; then to provide that comfort and help for others. I am more than a little cynical in my view of the people in this world; until I met this precious group, I really did not believe they existed. Whatever may happen to me and my little plastic knee, I am much better off for the time I have spent with this group.

Gatiger,
I agree with you 100%. I really believe being on this forum has made be better physically, emotionally and spiritually.

Gatiger & Doug, you are so right about this group of caring, encouraging people, I only joined last night, and I haven't had a crying session once since!! Thank you all.

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_patpat.jpg

Well everyone, just catching up with everyone has once again made me feel so good.
Been up since 2:30am and it is almost 5am and have just been on our forum and I didn't even care that I was up, infact I enjoyed it. I think now I am ready to give sleep another shot. Again thanks to you all for just being here.
K

Sleep well.
I just woke up and fell over a dog. Woke my wife up. Starting the day out right.

Tom, I go for a check up tomorrow. Exactly what is the question about the anti inflammatories and I'll ask him. I've been taking them with my oxycodine most mornings. I alternate with aleve and advil. I have found from experience that I get more benefit from the aleve.

Hi from another newbie. I am 70 and had a TKR about 7 weeks ago, and feel that I'm making pretty good progress- driving, walking up and down stairs, sleeping pretty well with one oxycodone(5mg) and a Tylenol PM. My flexion has only progressed to about 102*
and my question is how long has it taken each of you to get above 110* if you are.
It seems like this is a very long recovery.

You SOOOO have issues!

Tom...everyone progresses at a different rate. THAT we know for a fact.
We also know that it's a long process....we're probably looking at a year to be "NORMAL"....I'm 9 weeks Post Op and STILL think "knee" most of the time. Just as soon as I forget "knee", I'm quickly reminded.

Glad you found us....we've been waiting on you!

Tom, My Dr. whom I visited yesterday stressed the fact that everyone has a different recovery rate. I'm at 7.5 weeks post op. Some of the recovery depends on the individuals condition prior to the surgery. If you weren't able to bend it far prior to the surgery, you have to work and stretch some muscles, tendons, and ligaments that were long dormant. Bottom line, we had major surgery, it takes a long time to get over. keep working it, look at some of our other post on recovery. And yes, Gatiger has issues!!!

Doug, I am also at 8 weeks post op. Have they given you any indication how long PT will last? I have heard everything from 2 to 4 months. When I look back at week 2 or 3 compared to today, it is remarkable what my physical therapist has been able to accomplish.

I hate to say it but I was turned loose after three weeks. A caveat on that is the Dr. has known me since he was 13 and he knew I would work it out probably harder than the p.t.

Hi from another newbie. I am 70 and had a TKR about 7 weeks ago, and feel that I'm making pretty good progress- driving, walking up and down stairs, sleeping pretty well with one oxycodone(5mg) and a Tylenol PM. My flexion has only progressed to about 102*
and my question is how long has it taken each of you to get above 110* if you are.
It seems like this is a very long recovery.

Welcome Tom, you are doing better than me. I am 53 and at 9 weeks and only have a 90 degree bend when pushed by my PT. Not driving, still on 6 Percocets a day and don't sleep too well, so I would say you are doing really well.

Glad you found us, join us often!! Sue

Thanks to all of you for your kind, supportive comments and welcomes. I wish I'd found you several weeks ago.

Do any of you feel that the recovery is much harder than you expected?? I certainly was not prepared emotionally for the night pain, general tiredness, and boredom until I could drive again.

WRT to condition prior to surgery, I was not walking much for several months before surgery due to knee pain, but the OS said after he put the new knee in he was able to flex to 135*, and hoped I would get most of that back post-surgery.

I'm trying.

Tom

PS. Good luck, Gatier!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads