THR 7 weeks and feeling miserable

Hi everyone. So today I’m 13 weeks. I’m still limping but less dependent on the stick. Still can’t cut my own toenails on the operated side. But have now got a seriously painful ankle. It’s gradually been getting worse for weeks - basically as soon as I started congratulating myself on my knee pain going, this ankle pain started. It’s got to the point I’m not even sure where to stick the ice any more, every joint seems to need it in turn. What a totally miserable three months it’s been and physio just seems to want me to do ever-harder strengthening exercises every week.

Did you take a break from PT and did it help at all? Again, if PT keeps giving you harder and harder exercises and you continue to be miserable afterwards, you need to take an extended break. Hips don’t need that kind of exercise to recover. As a patient, you have a right to say no to a treatment. You should not be pushed to do anything that continues to hurt you nor should anyone “shame” you for not trying harder. Please consider the advice to stop PT for now. You can always return to it down the road once you get a chance to truly recover. Not letting those soft tissues heal without aggravation is not helping and could make matters progressively worse. Walking is really all that is required. Truly. Keep us posted.
@HipsAreForLife

I’ve dialled way back on the physio since I first posted in terms of what I do outside of sessions, but in session she just keeps adding stronger resistance bands etc. I’m confused, I really am. My surgeon says physio is an important part of recovery and if I don’t do it then I won’t get better. Physio says it’s important. Everyone I meet in real life says it’s important and made a huge difference to their recovery. But here I am still miserable with pain and their view is that I need to do MORE not less to get better.

It's really a choice you need to make. But since you are not seeing any benefit with this PT with resistance bands, what do you have to lose trying a different approach? You alone need to decide if you want be in training mode (and for training for what) or in healing mode.

BTW - has your surgeon or your PT had THR?

Still way early in your recovery and I'd stop PT for a week, rest and ice and see if you feel any better.
As far as ankle pain, I think the pain we get kind of travels around our bodies after hip surgery. Mine was knee on operated side, then ankle on left side that had surgery 3 years prior. I went to my ortho last June that did my ankle surgery cause it hurt so much. X-Rays showed all was well with ankle and just change of way we walk and put weight on different parts of our body.
Over one year later still get pains here and there.
Hang in there, it does improve.

Everyone I meet in real life says it’s important and made a huge difference to their recovery.
You'll find plenty of folks on this forum who will disagree because they've had excellent recoveries without it.

My own surgeon (who is with the top orthopedic hospital in the U.S.) told me that recent studies show that PT makes little difference in THR recovery. He prescribed walking for my recovery -- that's it. And my recovery was smooth and complete. (By the way, he DID insist on PT for my TKR).

I'd encourage you to stop PT for a week or two and see if you improve without out. The "ever-harder exercises" could well be the cause of your continuing pain.

I'm so sorry you are struggling. :console2:

I'm in real life, I don't think it's anywhere near important. I did in the beginning with my first hip, and then I learned. With my second I relaxed, did ankle pumps and went for walks and iced a lot. I also figured out that my best walking was not measured in steps, speed or distance but in form and how much good it was doing me. I never went to any physio of any form with either hip. My advice for what it's worth is go on vacation or at least tell the physio that's where you're going and sit relax and rest your ankle.

I am not doing physical therapy, and only did it for a few weeks after my first THR after I had healed. With the first, I was worried about how far I could bend and stretch it, so a few PT sessions gave me confidence about what sort of activity I could resume. I think my recovery is going exceptionally well without it. I don’t think I need PT at all this time.

Came back to say I am only sharing my POV. Some people on here like their PT and feel like it’s helpful. I think you should do what feels right for you. For me personally, I healed well without it. :wink:

I wanted to share my story in case it helps. I was 51 when I had my replacement in September, I considered myself strong and active up to 4 months prior to surgery, hiking with the dogs, doing dog agility. So I went full force into the exercises after surgery and after 3 days I had agonizing glute pain.
That is when I found bonesmart and was advised to stop the exercises. Slowly the pain subsided but would come back if I walked too much or tried any of the exercises so I knew it was related to activity.
I saw my physio for the first time after two weeks after surgery and she was in agreement that I only do the exercises that didn’t cause me pain - didn’t trigger my glute pain and the exercises did not have to be 3 times a day. I did them every other day and only once a day, only for a short time and only if it didn’t cause pain and not to push into pain. There were times when I took 5 days off in a row, did the exercises that she suggested for where I was weak for a couple of days and then back to a long rest period. But I did walk at least 20 minutes a day, I still take a hiking pole when I am with the dogs.
My physio has been so great as she has worked with me, not with the guidelines, worked with the exercises that helped with my recovery and my weak glutes and was not upset when I skipped exercises, she understood!
I didn’t start on resistance bands until after 4 months because my body wasn’t ready and it caused pain.
I do know that any pain I have now is related to doing too much exercise but I am happy to say at nine months the pain subsides much quicker and I feel I am pretty much back to normal. The other day my knee was hurting and I know it was because I was doing too many activities with the dogs so it was back to resting.
It’s hard not to listen to people who say you need to the exercises three times a day to recover. I stand there with my mouth agape thinking there is noooo way I was doing that, I was not going to endure that pain. I don’t even bother explaining that doing the exercises like that didn’t help me, I just did my own thing.
Listen to your body and if it saying that hurts, dial it back, rest. See if you can get a more adaptable physio, I do still like going to my physio as other parts of my body hurt and she explains what I can do to help and what not to do, but I have had other physios I would 100% not go back to.

Last edited:
Tan,
Totally agree with you. Once I figured out the little aches and pains and realized they were normal I just went with it and like you I'd rest, ice and usually next day I was fine.
My primary suggested a few PT sessions after I was a year post op. So I did go 2x's but wasn't anything I couldn't do on my own at home and my co-pay is $35 each time I go so no thanks.
I've never had one on one PT, seems they tell you to do 5 of these or 10 of these and then off they go.

Hello @HipsAreForLife , I really wish you were feeling better on this four month anniversary.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process.

The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Please consider stepping away from PT for a couple weeks and give walking a try. Coupled with the activities of daily living, it may be all you need. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Best Wishes!

Seems like part of the recovery process is chasing around aches and pains as the body relearns how to walk. I had a super tight IT Band going into my first THR. While my knee continued to hurt some after my RTHR the pain never traveled down to the ankle. But there is the potential for IT Band issues/sore knees to bother ankles.

If you haven't already done so get yourself a good pair of sneakers (trainers for you UK people.) Any walking shoe that you used a lot before your surgery may have some weird wear patterns. You and your new hip deserve a fresh start with new shoes.

Good Luck

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom