• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR 7+ months

Haggis

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had a THR right leg at the beginning of March this year. I've just turned 55 and I live on my own but had some help for 3 days after my surgery. I have been reading some of the threads on here and am getting more and more concerned that I'm not healing properly. I am nowhere near being able to tie my shoe laces, I can only put my sock on by pushing my toes in with the sock on the floor, then by kneeling my operated leg on a stool, pull my sock up from behind! If you can understand that!

I can't sleep on my operated side as it is still feels hard and swollen. If I sit for too long, 15/20 minutes, its difficult for me to get up and I limp badly for the first few steps. My friends say I'm still limping when I walk normally. I get random muscle pains in my leg which I put down to the shorter and incorrectly used muscles (pre-op) but have no idea if this is correct.

I am using a leg pillow at night and when I've tried not to use it, I experience 'discomfort'. I'm not currently following any leg exercise regime. I'm generally feeling down about the whole experience, though I don't regret the surgery as the hip pain was getting worse, however I feel generally 'less able' at everything since my operation.

I hope you can shed some light on the issues I'm experiencing. Many thanks.

Mudhen

Country
United States United States
I too am on my 7th month. For the first time I am able to put my socks on with comparative ease. I can only now sit down without easing into a chair and can rise without using the arms of the chair.
We heal at different stages of our own selves. I am beginning to walk with greater ease whereas for so long I walked with no movement to my knee.
Don't let others who have not gone through this surgery discourage you. I can't sleep on my operative side either. Feels like a big lump there. If your scar looks like mine it has a sunken spot. At surgery they taken out a lump of fat saying it is not needed. I think it is and would make sleeping on that side easier.
You sound like you are doing okay..healing at your own speed.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I'm sorry you're struggling with questions and concerns. Each of us arrives at THR with hips in varying degrees of deterioration. Some limping for ages, others not at all. Some living on OTC meds to get through the day, others rarely taking them. Some using assistive devices, others not needing the extra support. Some are also dealing with pre-existing health conditions, or other arthritic joints, resulting in longer recoveries. So...needless to say we all recover at different rates.

We're always cautioned to use an assistive device until we're no longer limping. Also heel-toe walking helps. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference.

Let's ask the forum Nurse @Josephine with her 50+ yrs experience in Orthopedics to weigh in on your concerns. I've tagged her for you. Please check back periodically in case she has questions.
I hope you have a nice week.
@Haggis

editted

Country
I am a few months behind you but share all of the same issues! I hobble when I get up from sitting. Standing in one spot for too long leads to the same. No socks unless hubby puts one on for me on operative side. Ditto for tying shoes! Still icing regularly, Tylenol and walking. But, ouch!!

Lski

Country
Welcome! The revovery is a unique journey for each individual. Sorry you are struggling with numerous concerns. I would call my OS for confirmation you are on the right path and just need time. Therapy might help, as it is helping me. Wish you the best.

OP
OP
Haggis

Haggis

Country
Thank you all, especially Mudhen for your comments and observations. It has helped tremendously just to be able to talk to people who have had the same operation. I, perhaps foolishly, did not carry out any research pre-op, relying only on the information provided by the NHS. I thought if I read too much I might not have the op! I will keep checking in and hope that you all have a great day as you've all helped relieve my worries.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I also went into THR mostly uninformed...kind of glad also as it possibly would have given me a cause to pause.
Thankfully I found this forum...
I whined and worried and there were many who were there to reassure me that what I was feeling was normal and indeed Temporary recovery business!
Exactly what was your surgery date and which hip did you have replaced?
Let's add it to your signature!
Hope today is a better day !

Bevlah

senior
Country
Hi @Haggis ah bless you I know exactly how you feel! I am 54 and as you can see from the below my first op was in January . Tying shoelaces, socks? They evade me I am afraid! I know what you mean about being less able. I hurt when I stand and shuffle like an old woman. I do sleep on my op side with a pillow between my legs. From this site I have recognised that recovery is as different as chalk and cheese. I am paying for private physio (NHS worse than useless) which I start on the 20th. I am hoping that will sort me out. It's a pretty tough journey and I can't understand why we are nearly at the end of the year and apart the oa pain had gone, I feel I have been left with alot worse! I am hopeful it will all get better so you must too. Just know your are not alone my friend. Not all of us are recover quickly. Sending hugs

Eman85

post-grad
Country
It's very obvious from the many posts on here that everyone's recovery is similar yet at different rates. Also that most are very uninformed and get little support from their OS past the procedure. Then you get all of the 3 week wonders that are fully recovered and climbing mountains, which of course makes you feel terrible.
Walking has been the best recovery aid for me along with stretching. I did heel slides and lying abductions. Also did shallow squats and marching in place lifting my knees high. I progressed to doing some simple yoga stretches. I would meet with the OS and see if everything is good to try some simple PT.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
momofthreee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom