THR 7 hours new hip to home

Teacher Jim

Country
United States United States
I'm now part of the recovery group. All things considered...I feel great! Maybe it's the oxy-talkin' but I'm sitting on my sofa, leg on a chair, ice machine cooling the ache, and a fresh cuppa coffee at my side. All is right with the world! Thanks to all of you for kind words!

:happydance: Woo hoo! Welcome to the recovery side.
Isnt it amazing to be home already? Please rest, elevate and ice like crazy..

Here’s your light reading.... it will be helpful in many ways, congratulations!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congrats, and nice to hear you are home.
Ice, Ice, and relax.
Slow and steady is the way to go.
Healing mojo coming your way.

Congratulations on your shiny new hip. There is no place like home. Rest, ice and elevate. Have a peaceful evening.

Ahh the loopy posts! Gotta love that euphoria while it lasts (I get sick of percocet very quickly).
If a nerve block was injected, that is also helping keep the pain at bay. Be very aware for that moment when pain sneaks its nose into the tent-- you have to whack it immediately or you'll be playing catch-up, which is no fun.

I hope you sleep soundly despite the coffee!

Welcome to recovery! I think that euphoria is a combo of the pharmaceuticals and the relief of having surgery finally behind you. I remember the feeling! I hope your pain stays well managed and you have a peaceful overnight. :yawn: :sleeep:
@Teacher Jim

First night with new hip! Slept ok, but the every four hour oxy and Tylenol wake it to take didn't help the resting portion. I'm using an 8 hour binaural beats site from YouTube to help get to REM sleep a little quicker than tossing and turning without finding sleep for an hour or more.

Hey Jim,
Wishing you many comfy happy nappy’s on this beautiful Thursday. :yawn: :sleeep:
Hope it’s a good one for you!
@Teacher Jim

Hey Layla,
It's hard to stay sitting when all I want to do, is go walking (walker or cane). But as my surgeon said, of I want to ski this winter, make the next couple of months lazy months. I think not driving for now will be my lazy saving grace. My wife doesn't drive, so we're quite limited on our outings.

Happy Saturday Jim,
Time passes more quickly than you imagine. Soon you’ll be one week post op, then one month before you know it, all the while making progress. Focus on the holidays, or some special date a few months out and just how great you’ll be feeling by then.
A wonderful weekend to you, even if it is at home. :)
@Teacher Jim

........But as my surgeon said, of I want to ski this winter, make the next couple of months lazy months. I think not driving for now will be my lazy saving grace. My wife doesn't drive, so we're quite limited on our outings.
That is one very wise surgeon! And we all want you to ski....! I would not have been able to pull that off in a matter of months, but was not as fit as you must be from skiing.

Thank you, Layla and company. I have to keep reminding myself to be lazy and not be jumping up and down to get a coffee, refill my ice water circulator they sent me home with post surgery, etc. Seems the more I'm up and about, the more tired I get more frequently. I've promised myself I'm going to be the laziest man in our apartment complex this weekend, as I have an all school staff meeting this Monday, 31st. Fortunately, I have a colleague who will chauffer me to and fro. I'll just have to figure out this ice water circulator contraption for the meeting... don't want to be off ice for the 1-2 hours plus travel time for this meeting. I'm so grateful to you and this forum for the incredible advice and support everyone offers.
Take good care.

@Teacher Jim I'm not trying to be Debby Downer but if you are tired just walking around your apartment how on earth are you going to be able to attend a meeting? You are just out of major surgery and should not be going anywhere. At a minimum can you attend virtually. Please reconsider this!

That's a great question, Jaycey! My building principal happens to be a real task master and sadly, we're not part of a teachers' union, or I'd ask for help from them. I still have the rest of this weekend to take it way, way way easy. If Monday morning comes and I don't feel the necessary energy, ready assured I'll virtually attend instead of being physically present. I really am grateful for your deep concern, Jaycey. Thank you!

I‘m going to be Debbie Downer Deuce :) Only because we care and learn through others mistakes and time spent here.

Please consider all of this before you commit to the Monday meeting as all will tap your already depleted energy reserves.
1) Shower
2) Getting out to the car
3) Sitting in the confined space of a vehicle for a length of time
4) Walking from the car to the meeting location
5) Possibly sitting in a miserably uncomfortable chair for a length of time
6) Back into the confined space of the vehicle for the drive home
7) Navigating back into your home

Might not sound like much and possibly doable, but I think at only five days post op this will Wear. You. Out.

I survived the meeting. It was a good test of the equipment and my stamina. Now I know I'll remote in virtually for any meetings over the next couple of weeks until school starts on the 14th.

I am glad you survived and also that you will remote in for any future meetings. Are you returning to teaching full time on 9/14/20?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom