THR 7 days post-op RTHR

Isn't it amazing how thrilling such a minor thing is? I am so grateful to be able to get up in the middle of the night and just go.

Isn't it amazing how thrilling such a minor thing is?
Yes! Being in a vulnerable position with the inability to do what we‘ve mindlessly done before surgery really helps us realize the things we take for granted. It does make most grateful and thankful.

Well kids I am home again. Got home Friday afternoon. Got all my adaptive aids, toilet seat riser, shower bench versus a chair and a tray for my walker. Still have 4 weeks of no weight bearing on the right leg. I have rented a hospital bed for the next month since my bed is way to high for me to get into. Sorry for the late night rambling, just thought I would give you an update. Highly recommend a rehab facility after this intense of a surgery. No shame in my game!

Glad you are home @Janab1028
Sounds like you got good care at the rehab facility and with your weight bearing restrictions, I'm sure the occupational therapy proves to be invaluable now.
Hugs for speedy healing....

Last edited:
Hi everyone! It has been 4 weeks and 4 days since my last surgery. Here is a picture of the scar on my knee, the next will be further up my thigh. I have more but they are in more delicate areas ( not for public view). Lol! Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_225636.jpg
    IMG_20210808_225636.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20210808_225634.jpg
    IMG_20210808_225634.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 146
Hello @Janab1028
It sounds like you’re doing well and your incision scars look good to me.
I hope you have a good week! :)

It has now been 6 weeks and 5 days since my last surgery. Had my 6 week appointment and was approved to start bearing weight as tolerated. Therapy starts this week. They will be coming to the house to start. Still having trouble sleeping but I'm sure it will get better. Slow but sure wins the game.

Have I missed something? Is there a reason why you can't weight bear and have had to hold back from exercising all this time?

Oops. Just read that you fell and broke your femur - every hippie's nightmare. You poor thing. Good luck with your rehab.

Yeah, I fell on both knees and drove the implant deeper into my femur and broke it, so they had to put a new stem in, a plate to reinforce the femur, and hardware to stabilize the break.

Hello there :wave:
Well it’s two months tomorrow…so stopping by to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary and see how you’re doing. I hope you’re enjoying steady progress and have a nice holiday weekend. Please update us when you have the time, until then wishing you all the best!
@Janab1028

I'm doing pretty good. Right leg is an inch shorter than my left now. Had to order a lift for my right shoe. They just came in today, so I will try it out later.

Hello everyone, long time no type! Things are going pretty well. I am going on 5 months from the femur surgery. Still working from home (than heavens) I'm walking with a cane outside the house. Still using my walker in the house (I have a tray so I use it to carry my stuff!) Have run into a couple obstacles with my rehab. My right leg is a good inch shorter than my left and it is taking forever to get the referral for orthotics. My gait is so bad due to the leg length difference, has totally put my therapy behind. Plus my right knee has such bad arthritis and I have so much pain it has added to the set back. Dr. is thinking trying a shot of some kind to help with the pain. Anyway, just wanted to check in, hope everyone is doing well.

Thanks for checking in. I certainly hope you’re able to get the leg length differential addressed soon. I can only imagine how it’s throwing off your gait. It would be nice to see you back on track and enjoying the holidays without any discomfort. Thats my wish for you. Stay in touch and let us know how you’re progressing.
@Janab1028

Thank you @Layla. I'm hoping it doesn't take too much longer. Everything seems to take forever! Enjoy the upcoming holidays!

Good that you are plugging right along but bad that you are waiting for so long to get an orthotic for your shorter leg.. how frustrating.

Hopefully your doctor can figure out something injection wise to buy you some relief with your poor knee.. So glad to see your update and know we are all rooting for you!

Hello everyone, long time no type. Just thought I would check in. It has officially been 1 year and 44 days since I had my second surgery to fix my broken femur. Still walking with a cane since my right leg is officially 1.5 inches shorter than my left one. I have built up shoes but I still have some balance issues due to the leg difference, so I'm playing it safe. This has not been fun. Hope everyone is well. :)

:wave: @Janab1028
Good to hear from you.
I'm so sorry this has been so hard.
I hope you aren't in a lot of discomfort:unsure:

The road back can indeed be long with all you have endured.
Keep the faith, my hippy pal.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member