THR 7 days post-op RTHR

Janab1028

Country
United States United States
Everything has been ok so far. About 3 days post op I had an emotional melt down, freaked my poor hubby out! I'm not usually emotional but I felt so helpless, I just couldn't hold it in. Luckily it was a short term episode and have felt good since. I was going to try to work from home starting next week but I'm afraid I am going to push it back a little bit. I had the anterior approach and the hip itself feels great, wish I could say the same about my thigh muscles. . Sorry if I seem to be rambling, just one of those nights I can't get comfortable. Anyway, things are only going up from here!

Hi @Janab1028
:welome: to Bonesmart.
Glad you are on the Healing Side!
I think those emotional meltdowns are pretty common and normal.
I had one about a week post-op and, honestly, I think all the time hurting and sleep deprived pre-op along with the nervous lead up to surgery...effects of anaesthesia, elation at being through it....led me to a perfect storm. It is just a lot.
:cry:

. I was going to try to work from home starting next week but I'm afraid I am going to push it back a little bit. I had the anterior approach and the hip itself feels great, wish I could say the same about my thigh muscles.
I know about those quads ...feels like they use them for punching bags. I, too, had anterior, but regardless of the approach...these are early days and I'm glad you are giving yourself more time.

Slow and steady is definitely the way to win this recovery race.
I will leave you the recovery guidelines below.

Lots of great folks here ready to help their fellow hippys.

Oh, I did alot of perusing the site at night.... The sleep thing took a bit to turn around.
All Temporary:) :-) (:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you! Reading this site has helped alot. At least I'm not alone in this. The lack of sleep is really mind numbing. I can't wait to be able to sleep more than 2 hours at a time.

I certainly get it... :bored:
I finally just accepted the situation and power naps in my recliner whenever and for ever how long really helped.

One of the articles above was helpful for understanding I was not alone at least.

Good thing, Bonesmart was there:friends:

I too had a meltdown at about day 3 post-op! The overwhelming enormity of it all lol not sleeping, thigh tight and swollen, feeling like poor husband is so stressed by it all. But I made it through that night and resolved myself to just take it one day at a time. It still gets overwhelming and I still can’t sleep through a night but naps of 2/3 hours 2/3 times a day have been increasing. And finding this group has helped too, knowing others are going through the same exact feelings. Hang in there!

Thanks @ShipsIntheNight . It is even tougher here as my father-in-law fell about a week before my surgery. We just got him moved to a rehab facility. So my hubby is so stressed right now. It doesn't help that I am super emotional too. I will be so glad to sleep through a whole night. Trying to stay positive but sometimes it is so hard!

@Janab1028 welcome to the recovery side, it will get better, it just takes time. Rest as much as you can and when you can, ice, ice and more ice to help you through. Hopefully things will settle down for both you and your father in law so your hubby can relax and breathe a little easier.

Hang in there, the emotional piece caught me by surprise, I had a few bouts of crying. It really is a lot that we go thru with hip replacement and my emotions were all over the place! This too will get better!
:loveshwr:

:wave: Hello there and welcome to the healing side.
Try to remind yourself when you have a sleepless night, or an emotional day that it truly is only temporary. Many of us experienced the same and will agree it eases pretty quickly. The three hours sleep, with a mini break, then two more hours sleep is awesome. I hope there was a repeat last night and tonight too!
Wishing you comfort and sweet dreams!:sleep:
@Janab1028

Thank you but it was only one night. I did sleep pretty well in the recliner today. Could be why I am awake now. I can't believe how stingy they are with pain meds it I have been getting by with Tylenol. I go for my two week check up this Thursday and I plan to talk to him about that. I hope everyone is having a good week! Thanks for all the thoughts!

Sorry it was only one night. I’ll bet that slowly changes and you’ll be back to your regular sleep schedule soon. I guess you’ll have to take advantage of naps right now to fill any deficit. Best wishes for your two week appointment tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. Until then...take good care!
@Janab1028

And again, I can't sleep. Of course, I planned to start working from home tomorrow. Ugh!

Of course, I planned to start working from home tomorrow.
Very early to be thinking about work. You are just days out of major surgery. Unfortunately sleep issues are a part of this recovery. Be kind to yourself - take the time you need to heal.

I do what I can. Today I am having more of a pelvic pain. Might have something to do with my position when I did sleep last night.

Quick question. It has been 17 days since my surgery and I am still not comfortable walking with a cane. Is this unusual? I am still using my walker everyday.

Hi, I'm 13 days out and I had to move back to the walker yesterday. Im back to the cane today after much ice. But as folks have told me in this forum, you can only do what you can do. I think I finally have developed the idea that I have to allow my body to heal, rather than push it to heal.
Layla posted a great image that kind of hit home to me.
rps20171117_054543.jpg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member