TKR 5 Years Post Op

Soooo, when did this happen?! When did it magically feel more comfortable to have my knee bent and feet on the floor when I'm sitting on my recliner? When did it stop hurting to stand while I cooked supper, did laundry and cleaned? When did it stop hurting to walk and only feels tight? This has all snuck up on me! Maybe because I played hooky from a second PT this week? I'm not really sure but I'm really liking this trend! I actually got brave enough to go downstairs and go outside and move the car and walk back to the house all without bringing my cane! Is this the magical 12 weeks that I've been waiting for? This is looking very promising and I'm already experiencing far less pain and instability of my old knee :dancy:.

I really hope all my fellow bone smarties are experiencing these awesome improvements after months of pain and effort.

Whoopi! Yahoo! What an uplifting post!

Hooray! We all notice when things are bad. Feeling better sneaks up without being noticed. Long may this improvement continue.

That's great! So happy you are doing well. Please stay away from the ODIC!

3½ month update: I want everyone to know that things are still going well for me. I saw my surgeon today while at physio and both he and my PT are thrilled with my progress! I'm now at 110 degrees ROM after a little more than 4 weeks post MUA and am feeling better and more mobile as each week passes. My surgeon says that this is the result they would like to see after a MUA but it rarely happens this quickly so we are all pretty pleased with it all!

I've been released from PT and the surgeon would like to see me next spring.... hooray!

I've been pretty busy working again full time and getting my youngest ready for college. It's been a busy month and in two weeks I take my new knee for a test drive on a cruise. Very nervous but looking forward to not having to wear a brace while on a vacation.

I hope all is going well for you who have cheered me on and given me the encouragement and advice that I needed during this whole process! Needless to say I'm in no rush to get my other knee done and I'm hoping that it will last until I retire! I definitely want a lot of time to pass I order to forget enough before I'm crazy enough to do this again :spin:

What great news to hear @dvannie! Whoohoo! Aaah, a cruise sounds like just what you and your knee have earned! I also found the 12 week period to be a big turning point, so we're "Happy Dancing," together!

I have serious cruise envy! What a great report, and congratulations on being released by your OS due to excellent results. Three months is a turning point for so many of us and now you get to actually enjoy the process of rehabbing your knee: walks, cruises, hikes in the woods, family gatherings and every manner of travel. May your right knee never fail you! :egypdance:

Month 4 update: Well I survived the cruise! I am sore from all the walking, about 10,000 steps a day, but I did arrive home exhausted but victorious! Funnily enough my non TKR knee is the part that's the sorest. Activities ranged from walking on the ship, swimming, walking on sand, climbing in and out of a dune buggy and going up and down stairs not to mention eating .... oh the food, definitely not something the doctor ordered :groan:

It was so easy to overdo it and the only way I got through it all was napping. I was with a group of able bodied people and I definitely could not keep up with them. I had to opt out of one excursion that made me nervous due to the lack of seating and the sun and heat for 5 hours, I didn't think I could cope with. I also had to disappear numerous times throughout the day to my cabin for sleep, rest and ice and some evenings I was in bed by 9 :sleep:

So I'm back to work now, yuck, and trying to lose my cruising weight gain ....

Hope everyone is still doing well. I'll try to catch up on your progress too over the next few days between the naps at my desk :wink:

Last edited:
Woot! Sounds to me like you did more than *survive* the cruise @dvannie! I think you aced it, with lots of fun, lots of activity and a great plan for avoiding the ODIC! Brava!

Aaaah, the food, so good going down, but not so good when stuck on the bod, lol! I'm sure you'll shake it off fast now that you're back in the *real* world, lol!

Cruises are so much fun! One of these days... :yes!: It sounds like you had a wonderful time. It's a good thing you were so active when eating all that marvelous cruise food! You probably will shake it off quickly. You're back to normal physical activity, which is probably much more now than it was over the summer or even before that, and you are also back to normal eating. No more free cookies and desserts and restaurant quality entrees.

And good for you, listening to your body and taking those restful, restorative naps! :sleeep:

glad you had a great time on the cruise and your new knee handled it well and you were wise enough to disappear to your cabin to rest up every day. where did you go on your cruise? sounds like a lot of fun. happy for you.

Oh Diane I am so happy you enjoyed your cruise! I love cruising and look forward to going again soon!
Were you in the Caribbean and did you see the devastation? I think the best thing we can do as tourists is to keep visiting these islands. They depend on the tourists and it will be the only way they can rebuild their little pieces of paradise.
Good luck with work this week! You did all the right things on the cruise to stay out of the ODIC and now you will have to use those same techniques at work and home!
Yay for you and your progress!

Month 11 update
Wow, time sure flies! Thought that I would share my progress so far. I actually 'forget' sometimes that I have my knee replaced ... that's saying a lot since it's always felt so very foreign and 'heavy' compared to my other knee! There's no pain, just that odd sort of feeling and the fact that it's straighter than the other leg.
I never thought that the hardest part to all this was going to be how my back reacted to the surgery and straightening of my knee. Quite frankly it was the hardest part to deal with. Between the pinched sciatic nerve and the overall tiredness/soreness of my lower back it was a difficult first 9 months. Its only been since the last two months that I'm finally seeing some progress on my back thanks to an awesome personal trainer who is helping me to stand up straight and not stoop when I walk or sit and strengthening it so that day by day it's getting stronger and less painful.
I don't regret getting this done, there was really no choice in the matter and I'm basically pain free for the first time in many years so I'm grateful. Even my other knee is behaving itself for now so I'm enjoying life right now!
I hope my fellow bone smarties are all doing well, I'm rooting for you all!

:wowspring:that is a fantastic 11 month report. it is quite the journey and in the end, worth all the pain and frustration. :flwrysmile:

We love hearing stories like you yours. congratulations on your recovery

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks