TKR 7/6 Successful Right TKR

amynewleftknee

Country
United States United States
My surgery on Monday was successful. I was discharged on Tuesday. But my pain meds were not strong enough. I started with a prescription for 50 mg of Ultram. I was in agony. (Also the PT at the hospital had me do lots with my new knee here.) I called the doctor Wednesday and the Ultram dose is now 100 mg. At night I take diphenhydramine with Norco. In the past, I’ve had itchiness when taking these type of meds. The first two nights were great, but last night I itched incessantly. And I’m still itchy today. Any ideas for me? I called the pharmacist this am and she suggested taking 50 mg of diphenhydramine if I take the Norco again. It sure works great for the pain, but the itching is overwhelming.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Congrats on your new baby knee!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
As for your itching, I'd message your OS as there are ways to alleviate the itching. Your OS can prescribe meds to help, so I'd let him know. I'm glad your pain is under control, hopefully the itching soon will be also.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Also the PT at the hospital had me do lots with my new knee
There is no need to do lots with your new knee, the surgery has wounded and traumatized it and it needs gentle treatment so it can heal. Gentle movements and short walks right now will give it all the mobility it needs.

sistersinhim

Country
the PT at the hospital had me do lots with my new knee here.
This is a no-no for an infant knee. What it needs most is ice, elevating, and resting. Just walking back and forth to the bathroom and going and getting a snack and a drink is plenty of exercise in the first month or so. Let your knee be your guide. If your knee hurts or swells more the next day, you have done too much and need to cut back. This is a long, slow recovery but so worth it!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
waddler
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom