TKR 6wks, doing great

@np7 Than you so much for the encouraging words you left on my thread. You have no idea how much that helped!
How are you doing with no oxycodone? I had to titrate down very slowly from 5mg every 6 hours to 2.5mg to nothing and it was difficult. My body had become dependent and it felt like the flu all day yesterday. Very unpleasant. But today, I feel ok!
Some people have had a harder time with that medication.

Hi OM. I had only 5mg tabs and was working my way down from 2-3 a day, 1 before each PT period and maybe another middle of the night; then 2/day, then 1/day. 3 days ago stopped altogether with pain at night that tempted me to get up and take another. (Maybe it is a good thing I moved them away from my beside.). So...short answer is fine. Still taking Tylenol and restarted Celebrex and still have, tolerable, pain. Thanks very much for asking.

Oddly, I find myself very hesitant to step down with the good knee or up with the bad, even though I know I can do it. Since your TKR was bilateral do you really have to force yourself up or down stairs?

side note: I am not much for social media and am not real active on Bonesmart, but TKR is not something one wants to bore friends and family with all the time. It is nice to be able to share and converse with people going through the same process. The wide range of experiences is kind of surprising: single vs bilateral, fast recuperation, slow recovery, problems with opioids, different approaches to physical therapy, and even seemingly poorly done replacements.

@np7 I can't always go down the stairs facing forward. It is very difficult. I'll only attempt on days with lower inflammation. Going up is ok.
It's very frustrating to go through the 'good days' and 'bad days' cycles. I want there to be a linear progression and there just isn't. There are as many variables as the knee joint is complicated.
I am the same with social media. I'm not active on any other platform. BoneSmart is something altogether different. It's true that even the closest loved one can't truly understand what this is like. It is amazing that despite how varied the stories are, everyone here understands. Being here has made this process survivable. (What did we do before the internet?)

I am experiencing Iliotibial band soreness. Anyone experiencing that or advice for it? In addition to the probably common post-TKR strengthening & flexing exercises daily, I do an adductor stretch. I do seated and supine leg lifts with about 5 lbs of ankle weights.

@np7 One thing I did to prep for knee #2 was to do my range of motion exercises on both knees (the surgical and waiting It's turn knee). I did improve both extension and flexion on knee #2 before that surgery. And I am regaining my range of motion faster on that knee. I'm not sure if the presurgery exercises made some or part of the difference but they may have. Certainly falls in the couldn't hurt category.

I had my second TKR four weeks after my first. I thought I chose the worst knee to go first but the doctor said he didn't know how I was walking on the 2nd and said it could have been an emergency TKR any time.

Anyway, even though my first hip was still recovering after my 2nd, I no longer had that horrible grinding bone on bone pain in either and that made such a difference. I do think having that second major operation so fast took a toll on my body -- went into the surgery anemic so it took me longer to get back to overall "feeling good" but I was so glad I got them both done and over with. I got back in my kayak two months after my 2nd knee was done and yes, my friends had to carry my kayak and help me in and out but eventually my knees felt like they had 5-10 years before!

Kayak59 -- so glad to hear you are already out their paddling! White water? You have certainly overcome some very challenging procedures making me feel like I should coast through the next TKR.

8 wks, doing fine. 2nd TKR (left side) scheduled for 12/2, 3 ½ months after the first.

Off of all pain meds except for some tylenol each day. I was taking 1000mg of tylenol PM at bedtime and thought it time for me to start cutting back. Last night I took none and woke up nearly every hour; spent about 9 hours in bed and maybe slept 5-6 hours. Guess I will keep this up as , sooner or later, my body or brain will will adjust. A little concerned as my MD told me that after a similar procedure he had had a real problem getting off of sleeping pills.

Extension still zero, flexion 120, some pain going down stairs, and some quad soreness. The IT band soreness has gone. Tomorrow is my last physical therapist video visit.

My exercise routine is once daily and takes about 90 minutes: 15 minutes on recumbent bike (I would like to get to 30), right knee flexing, strengthening on both knees, and some other stretches for my bad back.

Kneeling. Anyone care to comment on kneeling--as in gardening--after TKR? I am committed to doing a fair amount of gardening and home maintenance all of which requires being able to get onto my knees. I have been using knee pads for a couple of years already and obviously will continue to do so. A bad back make sitting on a low stool not so easy. Part of my exercise routine is done on the floor so I am continually testing putting weight on the prosthesis and, so far, it seems it will bear some weight.

np7; in answer to your question about kneeling; I try not to do it. I've had both my knees done. One in Feb and the other in July. I don't like the way it feels. I know the implants are strong but the surrounding tissue just doesn't feel good to the touch. Also I wanted to comment on a statement you made. I may have read it wrong. Concerning stairs; you should be going up leading with the good and going down leading with the bad. Just thought I would mention that hope you have a great recovery. Doodlebug

Doodlebug60. Thanks for the response and concern. Yes, the few people I have talked to and my doc say exactly what you said re kneeling. I keep hoping someone has a magic potion for this; in the meantime I will continue to try to condition myself to moderate kneeling on a cushioned surface.

Re stairs... I assume at some point I have to switch and walk up and down like a normal person, so I am doing that now but maybe you are right and it is too early.

9 weeks, still limited. Extension fine at zero and flexion at 120 or so seemingly pretty much at its limit as further flexion seems to be more limited by some physical blockage, perhaps swelling, rather than knee pain although that is still there. The only analgesic I take is Tylenol (can't take NSAIDs) in combination with occasional icing. My last physical therapist (video) visit was last week so I am on my own now and that is fine.

My exercise routine involves about 40 minutes of leg & knee flexing, strengthening, and stretching. As I have TKR scheduled on the non-repaired knee Dec 2 I do all the strengthing and stretching on it as well. My whole routine includes another 10 minutes of other other stretches mainly for my bad back. As mentioned before, I use a recumbent bike as well, on which I am up to 20 minutes, to benefit the knee and aerobic condition.

The annoyances are that I get really tired, especially if the exercise is followed by either yard work or shopping of 30 - 60 minutes. Still difficult going up and down stairs and sleeping and illiotibial band soreness persists.

@np7 Still early days in what can be a year long or more process. You will continue to see improvement - just don't push too hard. And the energy drain will also ease.

Which knee are you having done in December? We will put the information in your signature for you.

I was taking 1000mg of Tylenol PM at bedtime and thought it time for me to start cutting back. Last night I took none and woke up nearly every hour; spent about 9 hours in bed and maybe slept 5-6 hours. Guess I will keep this up as , sooner or later, my body or brain will will adjust. A little concerned as my MD told me that after a similar procedure he had had a real problem getting off of sleeping pills.
The ingredient in Tylenol PM that makes you sleepy is nothing but the same ingredient that's in Benedryl. I really don't think you can get addicted to that. What probably kept waking you up was the pain relief that you didn't have anymore.

Sistersinhim -- I am sure you are right re sleeping & pain.

Jaycey -- left TKR on 12/2. Would it make more sense for me to restart in this forum with a new login?

Would it make more sense for me to restart in this forum with a new login?
No need for a new login. If you want to start a thread in pre-op about your next TKR you can. Or you can just stay here until you have had your op and then start a new recovery thread.

I'll update your signature for you.

@np7 , you have a choice. You can either start a new thread for your second TKR, or you can continue to write about both knees on this thread. Sometimes that's easier than having to jump from thread to thread.

Week 10 Tedium. Not much has changed except I have learned that it is easy to overdue. Decided to do some chainsaw work on the hillside--bad idea. Had to take a day off to recover. Maybe if I were younger....

Decided to do some chainsaw work on the hillside--bad idea. Had to take a day off to recover. Maybe if I were younger....
Age hasn't got a thing to do with it. You are actually very blessed that it took only a day to recover. We learn day by day what we can and can't do.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts