TKR 60 year old knee.

JTS

Country
United States United States
TKR left knee 5weeks old. Worst part was getting sleep. No cane, no crutches after two weeks. Live in a by-level with stairs. I walk now with no knee pain. Got other minor stuff I will talk to surgeon about. Don’t even know which implant I have yet, but will find out tomorrow. 125 degrees of range. Therapist says to much play in new knee in his opinion. I’m in the bump stage I call it. If you bump or stub your foot on something it about put you on the ground in knee pain that goes away in about a minute or so. Had with a tib/fib fracture awhile back. More muscle strengthening healing time. Working full time with TED sock and I elevate and ice at lunch. Desk job most of the time. Swelling way down.

Attachments

• 46498FF7-3AB5-4C57-BF09-8670C69A8CE4.jpeg
    46498FF7-3AB5-4C57-BF09-8670C69A8CE4.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 9349D19C-2C01-44F3-8714-E28A5CF43994.jpeg
    9349D19C-2C01-44F3-8714-E28A5CF43994.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 160
Congratulations on the new knee. It seems like you're progressing well.

:wave:Welcome to Bonesmart. You're progressing well. Your ROM is very good for 5 weeks.

Please tell us the exact date of your surgery and which knee it was. Knowing these things will help us to be able to better advise you.

The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started. As you read more on other members' recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect and what not to do, especially regarding PT.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom