6 weeks/Walking with cane & driving today

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvANurse26

I am 6 weeks post total right hip replacement today. I went for my follow up appointment. I am SO HAPPY. He dropped all my precautions. I can drive, and he let me start walking on a cane. I had to walk with the walker a little longer because my trochanter cracked a little when he was removing a plate that was there.

All in all, I am glad that I went ahead and had this surgery. I am a 30 year old female and I feel normal. I spent most of my teens, and entire 20s with a major limp. I am walking straight now, and my confidence is lifted. I am a little wobbly just because this is my first day walking with the cane and my operative leg (hip) is still weak. I do feel that when it strengthens more my gait will be even better.

My muscles feel somewhat tight and sore, but yet my range of motion is much better than prior to surgery. I would like to know if ROM increases anymore at this point, or is it gonna stay as it is. I do all my exercises faithfully 3 times daily.

I did drive today, and it felt strange at first. I had no trouble getting in and out of the care. It felt so good. I don't go back to the doctor again until 2 more months. I will be going on about 3 1/2 months at that time. I think I am doing great for 6 weeks. Just wanted to share my recovery with everyone.

I did mean to mention that I am having a swishing sound in my right ear. I didn't have this problem prior to surgery. After surgery I was started on a medication for my heart rate which I had to quit because I was having headaches with it. My heart rate and blood pressure are ok. I just dont know where this is coming from. I think it may be related to anemia. I started back taking iron yesterday. Has anyone else experienced this after THR surgery?

Hey there,

Pretty strange coincidence, I just got home from my 2 month visit for the same surgery at about the same age on the same side (supposed to be 6 wk, but appointments are hard to come by you know). My surgeon told me I could expect to get an additional 10-20 degrees of flexion (I've already gained about 20-30 degrees - though I was dismal before surgery). I broke the rules and drove at two weeks, but if you saw how my visiting mother-in-law drove. . . well.

Never heard of ear swooshing after THR! I've heard and experienced noise in that area from high blood pressure. What med is it - could that be it?

Anyhow, sounds like you're on the path to a normal 30 yo life - good place to be! Keep at it!

I was taking Toprol XL. I haven't taken it in like a month. I think its related to anemia. I hope it is. I'm gonna monitor it and go to my medical doc if it doesn't get better.

I am so glad that you are Happy. I also am thrilled with this surgery. Things just continue to get better from here.
Judy

Glad to hear your good news, nursey! I'm sure you'll get more ROM as time goes on. As for the tinnitus, that can be the result of meds. I should Google the name of that medication, if I were you, and see what you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom