THR 6 weeks post THR still in pain

What are you training for? What are your goals? Mine was enjoying my life and didn't include any athletic competition any more. If you like walking, walk if you like cycling cycle. Swimming sounds like something you enjoy so swim. You're not even at 3 mos yet, the effects of this operation for many last a year or more and in some cases forever.
Just to be out of pain down to a 1-2 so I hardly notice it is the aim long term and then to be able to swim 3-4 times a week in terms of fitness.

Just to be out of pain down to a 1-2 so I hardly notice it is the aim long term and then to be able to swim 3-4 times a week in terms of fitness.
Totally achievable given time and patience. There will come a day when you don't even think about that replaced hip.

And swimming is great exercise! Do ask your surgeon about any kicks that they might want you to avoid. I was told to avoid the kick you do with the breaststroke.

Yes he said avoid breaststroke for a few months. Which I said fine I can't stand breastroke anyway I just do front crawl and a bit of backstroke mainly.

The thought of not thinking about my hip would be the absolute dream. Let's see how the next few months unfolds

Yes he said avoid breaststroke for a few months. Which I said fine I can't stand breastroke anyway I just do front crawl and a bit of backstroke mainly.

The thought of not thinking about my hip would be the absolute dream. Let's see how the next few months unfolds
I've had both hips replaced in the last 3 yrs, last one about 9 months ago. First one recovery took a while, was still using a cane at 6 weeks. Second one I was walking at 10 days with no assistance.

I'm a biker & swimmer as well since I had to have both ankles replaced (inbetween the hips). I'm back up to a mile in the pool.

Using the pool for rehab was incredibly helpfull to get full extension and stretching of muscles and I still do them to this day. Usually breast deep and a series of marching band high steps, longest stride possible forward and backwards, 90degree stiff leg extensions forward and back, side leg extensions, calf and thigh stretches using the steps and pool corners.

Even with the biking, swimming and stretching I still had minor discomfort that I just figured would never go away. I started light lifting in the gym for the first time in 40 yes and the leg work has helped significantly using light weights.

I know not everyone lives in fl and has acceas to a pool but for those who do I highly recommend it. GL

Hi Rich,
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hang in there, things will get better. :)
@Rich75

Long way to go still, hopefully upwards! 2 months is still pretty early times. Hang in there and get in the pool!

I've had both hips replaced in the last 3 yrs, last one about 9 months ago. First one recovery took a while, was still using a cane at 6 weeks. Second one I was walking at 10 days with no assistance.

I'm a biker & swimmer as well since I had to have both ankles replaced (inbetween the hips). I'm back up to a mile in the pool.

Using the pool for rehab was incredibly helpfull to get full extension and stretching of muscles and I still do them to this day. Usually breast deep and a series of marching band high steps, longest stride possible forward and backwards, 90degree stiff leg extensions forward and back, side leg extensions, calf and thigh stretches using the steps and pool corners.

Even with the biking, swimming and stretching I still had minor discomfort that I just figured would never go away. I started light lifting in the gym for the first time in 40 yes and the leg work has helped significantly using light weights.

I know not everyone lives in fl and has acceas to a pool but for those who do I highly recommend it. GL
I've been 3 times in the past week or so. Just kept it simple I've done some underwater 'striding'?! plus a bit of swimming I was a regular 1k - 1m before the operation - albeit I'd regulate that because of the subsequent pain :(. The gentle sessions the last week have been good, I have been sore afterwards but under control. Thank you for the advice it's good to know there can be a way back to long distance swims.

Hi Rich,
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hang in there, things will get better. :)
@Rich75
Thanks so much Layla
Huge milestone especially when I look at were I was on my 1 month anniversary, i was still on 2 walking sticks, alot of meds and unable to drive at all. Past all of that now. Looking forward to more pain being eroded over the coming months
Thanks again

Long way to go still, hopefully upwards! 2 months is still pretty early times. Hang in there and get in the pool!
Thank you! I was in last night for a bit. Feels great to be back swimming again

Using the pool for rehab was incredibly helpfull to get full extension and stretching of muscles and I still do them to this day.
Hi @pathfinder. Good to hear this from a swimmer. The pool exercises have been really helpful, esp. the steps. Pool walking a real struggle because I'm quite short, water comes up to my neck so I struggle not to float :heehee:
I enjoy swimming, including breaststroke and have done that during both THR recoveries but with a frog leg, not professional, kick and only about 500m even at my best!

Can you add any ankle replacement info to the forum? I've had both hips done but need an ankle replacement and ankle pain is limiting my walking. Some orthos suggest fusion rather than replacement? An ankle recovery thread would be extremely helpful.

Hi @Rich75 sounds as if you are doing really well. I'm at 4m+ since my RTHR (left was 2018) and healing is going well although the wound area is still sensitive to pressure and I sometimes get what feels like muscle 'stretch' pain in that area. All done with gentle walking, some swimming and just basic hip mobility exercises. Only now at the stage of doing bridges or clamshells! Onwards & upwards!

Doctors tell us no breaststroke or other restrictions but few explain why. All of our post-op recovery is based on damage done to the hip capsule and the surrounding tissue because of the procedure. The weakness of the area by the strain is what puts us at risk for dislocation. The movement of rotating the femur in the direction that we were dislocated is what causes the risk. I found walking and exercising in the pool to be great but it didn't take long to see where it could be easy to pivot the wrong way. Also real easy to get ODIC membership in the pool.

Hi @Rich75 sounds as if you are doing really well. I'm at 4m+ since my RTHR (left was 2018) and healing is going well although the wound area is still sensitive to pressure and I sometimes get what feels like muscle 'stretch' pain in that area. All done with gentle walking, some swimming and just basic hip mobility exercises. Only now at the stage of doing bridges or clamshells! Onwards & upwards!
Hey @Newhip_Pol thank you! I guess i am doing well week on week. Sounds like you're coming along nicely too. Love hearing from people who are that much further along with positive messages and their progress. I'm really careful in my few swimming sessions not too push it so far as I'm used to swimming long distance at a good pace. I use a float so effectively mainly using my upper body which can trick my mind that it's too easy so have to pull back from anything but a short session along with the underwater steps. Such a boost to get back in the pool!

Having a tough day. I've aggravated my hip (in the ODIC). I know it will pass but had an awful day trying to work from home couldn't concentrate at all, terrible stinging pain I've not had since before the operation. Ice, painkillers and rest when possible now for the weekend. Hopefully it will be a bit better tomorrow. Its hard mentally when you get a setback but I know it happens

Sorry you are having a tough day, @Rich75. We've all been there on the ODIC bench and, yes, it can take a few days to get back on track.

Just remember that this recovery is a roller coaster ride. In fact, we have a little illustration to remind us all how recovery from a joint replacement usually goes:

rollercoasterexample-gif.74641

It does get better with time. Meanwhile, we are here for support whenever it's needed.

Sorry you are having a tough day, @Rich75. We've all been there on the ODIC bench and, yes, it can take a few days to get back on track.

Just remember that this recovery is a roller coaster ride. In fact, we have a little illustration to remind us all how recovery from a joint replacement usually goes:

rollercoasterexample-gif.74641

It does get better with time. Meanwhile, we are here for support whenever it's needed.
Retrospective thank you for this :)

I'm over 11 weeks now and I've got into the routine of doing a few shorter walks a day not pushing it too but also swimming a couple of times a week which is fine at the moment. I'm walking better no limping now too. Still needing ice packs now and again, occasional paracetamol as being sat down for any length of time is still painful. Big milestone yesterday I managed to put a sock on the operated side!! Will still use the SockAid for now though :) As a family we are going on a bike ride (not far - about 3k) for fathers day on Sunday im slightly apprehensive but should be okay though I'll take it easy and mines an eBike so I'll basically float there anyway!

I start physio this week so I'll see how that goes.

Hope everyone's well :)

Just a heads up for bikes and motor cycles scooters. When you slow down or stop be wary of not putting down the op leg first, it's hard to do but it's a good way to wrench it.

@Eman85 Thats exactly what I did before the operation. Put my weak leg down when I had to stop suddenly and ended up in an almighty tangle of me and bike on the floor. I wasn’t hurt but I haven’t been on a bike since and I am very nervous of trying again post op. :bawl:

Big milestone yesterday I managed to put a sock on the operated side!!
That IS a milestone! I don't think I was able to do without the socked until I was almost 4 months post-op.

I'm so glad to read that you are feeling better. You will continue to see progress in the weeks and months ahead -- it just takes time.

Do enjoy your Father's Day excursion!

Just a heads up for bikes and motor cycles scooters. When you slow down or stop be wary of not putting down the op leg first, it's hard to do but it's a good way to wrench it.
Thank you will make sure I remember that

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone