THR 6 weeks post THR still in pain

Good post :) yes stick with it I'm 4 months post op I have been through some dark days thinking why did I have this done as I'm still in pain I like yourself was active before my left hip replacement due to perthes disease taking full control of my joint but happy to say I'm now feeling a lot better mentally and physically I still have hip ache but my mindset has changed completely and knowing 1 day in the next few months it will fade off and give me a wonderful active life so stay positive and stay as active as you can be good times are coming you will get there :)
Thank you - Love the positive message btw! Yes yours was one of the threads I read through. Have you noticed a difference after the 3 month mark yourself in terms of the pain settling down and mobility? Obviously all these questions come with an caveat that everyone's situations different :)

I am so glad to see you are planning on being mindful and patient with this recovery.
I found out new shoes were a must for new hips as the old ones likely bear a bad gait pattern.
Shorter walks several times per day versus longer walks were more helpful and I concentrated on proper heel to toe walking.
(Apparently, I had become a "toe walker" after some years of trying to relieve pressure on my lower back due to bad hips)

I am so grateful to have my mobility and life back after THR.

I won't depress you with how long it took before I got a full comfortable night's sleep :oyvey:but I DID have double the trouble with both done at once.
Power naps were my go to for the first months.

Onward and upward hippy pal.:friends:
I've been very concentrated on walking 'properly' now. Wow. I couldn't imagine having both done at once. That's a hard-core first few months. The first few weeks were really difficult with just the one. Havent napped in the day since for a few weeks but I'm sleeping much better at night now which has only really happened in the last week. Can switch to side sleep now with the pillow between my legs so much more comfortable

I'm in quite a bit of pain still and could do with some advice from people who've been through the same thing.
At the moment I'm just walking. Between 11k -14k steps over 3/4 walks a day. Normally a bit of ice on the joint and rest after a longish walk. Also doing the usual post operation range of strengthening exercises a few times scattered throughout the day.
Welcome to the ODIC. Just my opinion but trade the step counter for some ice and put off strengthening healing muscles until they are healed.
Thanks. I'm starting to do shorter walks but with another one during the course of the day

I'll ask the consultant tomorrow when I see him but is it normal to get pain in the other hip after having one replaced. Think I've got nerve pain in my left. Does that sound familiar I'm guessing it's linked to the over compensation, change in gait and having to take all the strain on that side in recovery?

Glad to know you are getting some true healing rest:) :-) (:
I was so sleep deprived by the time I had my surgery, I was actually looking forward to the "Surgery Nap":nah:

The first weeks post-op were definitely a struggle, but my surgeon deemed both hips equally bad and thought I was a good candidate since I had no underlying conditions and was in pretty good shape - for the shape I was in.:heehee:

Recovery is boring, :bored:and I am glad to have had one recovery period.

This is but a snapshot in time, and sounds like you are working it out.
Well worth the patience!

is it normal to get pain in the other hip after having one replaced
Yes, getting more active after surgery and the readjustment period can cause travelling pains in other areas.

Think I've got nerve pain in my left.
Wondering what pain leads you to call it "nerve pain"?
I'm guessing it's linked to the over compensation, change in gait and having to take all the strain on that side in recovery?
Very Likely.

is it normal to get pain in the other hip after having one replaced
Yes, getting more active after surgery and the readjustment period can cause travelling pains in other areas.

Think I've got nerve pain in my left.
Wondering what pain leads you to call it "nerve pain"?
I'm guessing it's linked to the over compensation, change in gait and having to take all the strain on that side in recovery?
Very Likely.
Nerve pain is a bit of a guess tbh just feels quite different to my 'traditional' pain on the bad hip. Hard to explain properly doesn't feel as deep as my operated hip and the pain I had before

Good post :) yes stick with it I'm 4 months post op I have been through some dark days thinking why did I have this done as I'm still in pain I like yourself was active before my left hip replacement due to perthes disease taking full control of my joint but happy to say I'm now feeling a lot better mentally and physically I still have hip ache but my mindset has changed completely and knowing 1 day in the next few months it will fade off and give me a wonderful active life so stay positive and stay as active as you can be good times are coming you will get there :)
Thank you - Love the positive message btw! Yes yours was one of the threads I read through. Have you noticed a difference after the 3 month mark yourself in terms of the pain settling down and mobility? Obviously all these questions come with an caveat that everyone's situations different :)
Yes yes and yes mine is now getting easier which makes me feel mentally and physically better keep smiling you will get there :)

is it normal to get pain in the other hip after having one replaced.
Have you purchased new walking shoes since having your THR? If you are wearing shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern this can cause all kinds of aches and pains as your gait will have changed. You don't need to replace every pair of shoes - just your main walking shoes.

Also doing the usual post operation range of strengthening exercises a few times scattered throughout the day.
Never said what exercises you are doing, many only cause pain with no benefit.
Lying down:-
Ankle pumps,
Static glutes/quads,
hip flex/abduction,
glute bridge,
The half clam (dont know the proper term for it!
Leg raises (to about a foot high)

Standing:-
Hip flex/abduction standing.

Sets of 5-10

About 3/4 times a day

is it normal to get pain in the other hip after having one replaced.
Have you purchased new walking shoes since having your THR? If you are wearing shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern this can cause all kinds of aches and pains as your gait will have changed. You don't need to replace every pair of shoes - just your main walking shoes.
That would make sense yes. Thank you for the tip

It’s still early times. For me, 6 weeks in, it was tough to make it thru a day at work at a desk, now at 9+ months things feel 99% good. Hope your path is slow n steady upwards from here…
Music to my ears :)

I've got a desk at home were I can switch from sitting to standing whilst working and I'm really struggling with the constant pain. It's really helping that everyone seems to have had similar experiences.

I had a complex total hip replacement at the end of January. Had to use a walker due to the fact that it was a complex surgery and was on 50% non weight bearing. March 10 met with my surgeon and he said the x-rays looked very good. I ditched the walker and started using a cane for another 5 weeks. May 10 had another follow-up with surgeon and he said the surgery could not have gone better. I am a 74 year old woman. I am still in some pain, particularly groin pain. As of this morning I have decided not to exercise but to add some more steps to the treadmill to see if the pain goes away. It might not. Like yourself I had thigh pain that comes and goes but is getting better. I have done a lot of research and pain can linger for a very long time and sometimes it does not go away altogether. My doctor gave me a window of 18-24 months for total recovery. I was a bit shocked at that time frame but everyone is different. I had one of the best surgeons in one of the best hospitals in the country so I fully trusted him to do his job and any residual pain I have is not unusual even if it is worrisome.

Also doing the usual post operation range of strengthening exercises a few times scattered throughout the day.
Ankle pumps,
Static glutes/quads,
hip flex/abduction,
glute bridge,

Sets of 5-10

About 3/4 times a day
If it were me I'd do something like do nothing but sit, ice and take some short walks for a day or two and see what happens pain wise. I think you're making your own pain.

@Linnie$1948 Welcome to BoneSmart! Please start a thread for your self in this post op hip section and tell us the date of your surgery and which hip you had replaced. With your own thread we will be able to offer you more support and answer your questions more fully.

It’s still early times. For me, 6 weeks in, it was tough to make it thru a day at work at a desk, now at 9+ months things feel 99% good. Hope your path is slow n steady upwards from here…
Music to my ears :)

I've got a desk at home I can switch from sitting to standing whilst working and I'm really struggling with the constant pain. It's really helping that everyone seems to have had similar experiences.
Ankle pumps,
Static glutes/quads,
hip flex/abduction,
glute bridge,

Sets of 5-10

About 3/4 times a day
If it were me I'd do something like do nothing but sit, ice and take some short walks for a day or two and see what happens pain wise. I think you're making your own pain.
Yes cheers I've already made adjustments earlier this week and had the best day I've had in a couple of weeks today pain wise. Felt great mentally as well to have that slight improvement. Will carry on with this.

Had a follow up with my surgeon today and he emphasised the same, just build it up slowly but was pleased that my pain whilst in the same area feels a different to before. Already an improvement. Can start swimming now too. Again building up very slowly.

I was just going to ask about PT.

I'm at 8.5 weeks now nearly 2 months post THR. Don't know when is the right time to go ahead with actual physio. I'm doing daily routine some - not excessive - exercises, few walks also doing light swimming been twice in the last week with no real ill affects.

I caught up with my surgeon on 6 weeks and he said just keep going as I am for now so I'm not sure when is good to go for physio or if I just continue as I am. Quite happy to hold back for now or go for it if it will be beneficial.

What are peoples experiences?

What are you training for? What are your goals? Mine was enjoying my life and didn't include any athletic competition any more. If you like walking, walk if you like cycling cycle. Swimming sounds like something you enjoy so swim. You're not even at 3 mos yet, the effects of this operation for many last a year or more and in some cases forever.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts