THR 6 weeks post op- thigh/muscle pain

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Amy.
I hope you're still doing well. Please let us know when you get your right hip scheduled and we'll edit your signature accordingly. We'd love to support and encourage you through the process.
Take good care and have a wonderful week!
@Amy99

If surgery is recommended for your left hip but you don’t have much pain, I would think It a good idea to get a second opinion. @SweetV

Last edited:
Hi!
I am 23 and just under went my first hip replacement! (Severe inflammatory arthritis)
My recovery has been fine so far and have just passed the 6 week mark.
Just wondering has anyone at this stage still got outside thigh muscle pain when walking? It’s not and enough to stop me walking but is very noticeable and I keep worrying I’ve done something to the hip!
Been doing my physio exercises, most just moving the leg outwards and lifting my knee up. Also walking daily about 1.5 miles through the entire day.
Just looking for some reassurance, due to my age I don’t really know any others who have underwent this surgery!
I had my THR in March 2022. Yes, I still have outer muscle pain; however, it gets better every month! I do water aerobics 3x/week. Please don’t overdo it. I think we worry too much sometimes. If my leg bothers me, I rest it. My ortho doc says massage it, which seems to help.

I am 24 had had my left hip replaced in the 17th august 2021 so just a couple weeks short of 6 months.
The hip has been completely fine but the last few weeks I’ve been getting some pain in my groin area and thigh. It feels like kind of growing pains and a bit muscly but not entirely sure. I’ve had a few clicks from my groin area also, it doesn’t hurt at all and it a really small noise but I’ve just jumped to I’ve injured my replacement in some way
I have done a bit more walking in the last few weeks, being back and uni and my classes are mostly up big hills which probably hasn’t helped.
Weirdly hurts a bit more when im sitting rather than moving around.

I have some funny popping sensations in my groin area and walking more definitely makes my muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves, scar etc wake-up an go ‘wah hey, what’s going on here?’ From reading people’s threads that all seems quite common but I guess if you’re really worried you need to get in touch with your OS or GP. Good luck.

I’ve got a click in my the first hip I had replaced in July, the physio asked if it hurt when it clicked and because I said it doesn’t he said it’s nothing to worry about.

I have different aches and pains and hills definitely aggravate things but if you are worried you should speak to someone for reassurance.

Amy, why did you have a replacement so young? I had AVN and had both replaced recently at 37.

I’m also dealing with new pain around my hip joint. Started this week and that hip was nearly 5 months out.

Hello @Amy99
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions for finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Amy, why did you have a replacement so young? I had AVN and had both replaced recently at 37.

I’m also dealing with new pain around my hip joint. Started this week and that hip was nearly 5 months out.
I was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis at 17, my whole body is affected but hips the worst. By 2019 i had moderate damage in my left hip and was meant to just try some steroid injections but then covid hit and by the time I was finally seen in 2021 the hip joint was just bone on bone. Currently waiting for right one to be done but could be another couple years

@Amy99 Even at 6 months our hips can remind us that they are still new and healing. It is not unusual to get some of those soft tissues complaining again when we increase activity. They can feel much like what we typically call "growing pains" but in this case "healing pains." Lol. Remember, it can take up to a year or more for hips to complete their healing. Many members report various benign noises post op, as well. The soft noise in the groin area could also be the hip flexor tendon commonly referred to as "snapping hip." If things are a little irritated, this could be the culprit. This might be true if you hurt more while sitting as this muscle/tendon tends to shorten a bit in that position and then you need it to stretch back out when you stand or move.

Easing back for a short time on the exercise and icing that hip where it hurts at regular intervals and for 45" at a time might do wonders to ease your issues. Some acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen could also be helpful if you're able to take NSAIDs. Regular breaks from sitting are good, as well as some gentle stretches. Make sure you don't stretch right after icing and if you do ice, make sure there is cloth between the ice and your skin. In any case, if the symptoms persist or worsen, by all means contact your health care provider for advice. I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted.

@Amy99 Even at 6 months our hips can remind us that they are still new and healing. It is not unusual to get some of those soft tissues complaining again when we increase activity. They can feel much like what we typically call "growing pains" but in this case "healing pains." Lol. Remember, it can take up to a year or more for hips to complete their healing. Many members report various benign noises post op, as well. The soft noise in the groin area could also be the hip flexor tendon commonly referred to as "snapping hip." If things are a little irritated, this could be the culprit. This might be true if you hurt more while sitting as this muscle/tendon tends to shorten a bit in that position and then you need it to stretch back out when you stand or move.

Easing back for a short time on the exercise and icing that hip where it hurts at regular intervals and for 45" at a time might do wonders to ease your issues. Some acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen could also be helpful if you're able to take NSAIDs. Regular breaks from sitting are good, as well as some gentle stretches. Make sure you don't stretch right after icing and if you do ice, make sure there is cloth between the ice and your skin. In any case, if the symptoms persist or worsen, by all means contact your health care provider for advice. I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted.
Thank you! its difficult to remember healing can take up to a year when some days you feel great haha.

Hi!
I am 23 and just under went my first hip replacement! (Severe inflammatory arthritis)
My recovery has been fine so far and have just passed the 6 week mark.
Just wondering has anyone at this stage still got outside thigh muscle pain when walking? It’s not and enough to stop me walking but is very noticeable and I keep worrying I’ve done something to the hip!
Been doing my physio exercises, most just moving the leg outwards and lifting my knee up. Also walking daily about 1.5 miles through the entire day.
Just looking for some reassurance, due to my age I don’t really know any others who have underwent this surgery!
Yes! I have thigh muscle pain and a definite limp. Still need a cane to walk

So im almost a year post left hip replacement and everything has been fine. However recently I’ve started getting pain mostly at evening/night in the hip replacement leg most around my outer thigh going to the buttock area and sometimes groin. It’s not sore to walk and can stand it’s just really achey it feels muscly but just concerned as it’s around my incision area. Has anyone else had this?

Hello Amy, I am sorry you continue to deal with pain. It is a possibility it could be due to the activity you're engaging in.
Just wondering has anyone at this stage still got outside thigh muscle pain when walking?
This was from your first post. September 29, 2022

The hip has been completely fine but the last few weeks I’ve been getting some pain in my groin area and thigh. It feels like kind of growing pains and a bit muscly but not entirely sure.
This was on February 10th.
So im almost a year post left hip replacement and everything has been fine. However recently I’ve started getting pain mostly at evening/night in the hip replacement leg most around my outer thigh going to the buttock area and sometimes groin. It’s not sore to walk and can stand it’s just really achey it feels muscly but just concerned as it’s around my incision area
This is today.

I am wondering when you last visited or checked in with your surgeon? You are approximately 10 months post op into a recovery that can last a full year for many, and even longer for others. A change in physical activity can make a difference as well as any exercise you're engaging in. Have you recently started any new activity? If you can't think of anything that you may be doing to cause the pain you described, I suggest you check in with your surgeon's office for some advice or reassurance. In the meantime, take a break from anything that seems to aggravate your leg and see if rest and icing help. I hope it eases soon.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back