TKR Pain 8 months post TKR

Annk

Country
Canada Canada
Had TKR April 4 and was sent home next day. Our health care in Alberta pushes you out of the hospital quickly. Had my 50 staples removed 2 weeks later but incision was not closed so the clinic had me using steri strips along with 2 rounds of antibiotics. Still not 100% closed. Because of this I had to limit my knee flexion in therapy resulting in slow progress. My concern is arthrofibrosis settling in. Doing my other exercises daily but knee is still stiff and I am getting worried it will be like that forever. Anyone else have a similar experience.
Thanks

Hi and Welcome!

Because of this I had to limit my knee flexion in therapy resulting in slow progress. My concern is arthrofibrosis settling in.

Please don’t worry about limiting your flexion in PT, or about arthrofibrosis. Moving around doing your daily activities gives your knee plenty of healing movement.

Also, there is no Window of Opportunity.

Regaining our ROM (and also strength, and general healing) does not require forceful bending or painful exercises. That is counterproductive.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Doing my other exercises daily but knee is still stiff and I am getting worried it will be like that forever. Anyone else have a similar experience.
Yes, just about everybody. What you are feeling is completely normal.
My concern is arthrofibrosis settling in.
These are extremely rare and seldom occur. Your ROM will improve as your swelling goes down. You can't bend a swollen knee. The fluid in there has nowhere to go and keeps your knee from bending. Don't worry about not doing PT. Many of us never took PT or did exercises and have healed fine. Just using your knee the normal way you would in your daily activities is all the PT it needs.

I am 6.5 weeks post op from TKR. Occasionally when I ge up to walk and plant my knee I will get severe stabbing pain on the inner part of the knee. Now it only lasts a second then as I continue to walk it’s fine. Is this just the tendons nerves healing.
So after my 5 minute walk I elevated and iced.
Does this happen to anyone else at this stage of recovery.
Thanks

This is perfectly normal at your early stage of healing.

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

@Annk You are still very early days in this year-long recovery and what you describe happens to most of us during those first few months.

I found this chart really helpful in understanding how long it really takes for us to recover:

1652123217285.png

Thank you for this chart I will reference it throughout my journey.
I understand there is going to be pain along the way. I had another situation today on my daily walk. Both inside and outside of knee was painful while walking. I came back iced and elevated then it was fine. I am a very fearful person thinking with any new pain that something is wrong.
Appreciate this forum and all the valuable and encouraging information.

Indeed it IS a journey. It's the greatest that this site exists and you can reach out any hour with questions or read others journeys and stories.

Having had both knees replaced I can say that pain time-frames varies (including types of pain and where located) and changes and finally reduces.

It just takes time...:friends:

Thank you I will take this to heart.

I really like that chart. Even though it's fallen out of favor with some, I'm a huge fan of the cpm machine. Steadily increasing range of motion on the CPM each week really works well.

I came back iced and elevated then it was fine.
That was exactly the thing to do -- and your knee let you know! :wink:

I am a very fearful person thinking with any new pain that something is wrong.
I think most of us react the same way when we are going through something like this. But, if you read through some of our other members' thread, you will see that what you are experiencing really is normal.

In fact, we have a neat little illustration of how recovery from a joint replacement usually goes:

rollercoasterexample-gif.74641

We are here for support whenever it's needed. :flwrysmile:

Thank you for that. Are there any exercises or stretches that anyone knows about to eleviate this inner knee pain or just icing and elevation.

@Annk, the pain will gradually decrease with time. There's nothing that will "hurry" it. Just keep your knee moving -- with walking and ADLs (activities of daily living) -- and keeping icing and elevating for relief.

Are you taking anything for pain? If not, you might want to start a regular schedule of Tylenol (acetaminophen). You will get the most benefit if you take 2 extra strength tables (500 mg each) every six hours (4 times a day). Just be sure none of your other medications contain acetaminophen. It's important not to exceed 4000 mgs/day.

Also, remember that it's important to stay ahead of the pain by taking them on a regular schedule. As a reminder, here is a link to the pain management chart https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ing-pain-after-a-tkr-and-the-pain-chart.7969/

Yes I am taking the extra strength Tylenol and alternate with Advil. Sometimes at night I will only take 1 Tylenol 4 which helps.
Thanks again for all the information. I am really looking forward to the day when my knee is not the main topic in my house

Hi everyone
Today is my 2 month TKR anniversary but I am not celebrating. Still having inner and outer knee pain. When I walk still having pain on outside of knee. Feels like something is poking out stabbing type pain. Inner knee pain is burning. I know I am only 2 months in my journey but I am discouraged as many friends that had TKR 2 months they were feeling much better.
My doctor put me on 10 days of naproxen but did not notice any difference in tightness stiffness.
Still doing PT once a week and walking daily with a few other exercises. My ROM is 105. I ice and elevate frequently.
I am planning to return to my desk job in 4 weeks.
Maybe that will give me some normalcy in my life.
Thanks for listening

Hello @Annk. What you are describing is really quite normal for just 8 weeks into this year-long recovery. It takes a long time for our bodies to recover from the trauma of surgery. At 8 weeks your bone, ligaments, tendons, and nerves still have a lot of healing to do. Take a look at this chart:

1652123217285.png

Please try not to compare yourself to anyone else. While it is true some people heal faster; others heal more slowly. We each recover at our own rate.

Like you, I was unhappy at two months post-op. It took me until about 12 weeks out to begin to see light at the end of the tunnel and, even then, I had setbacks. But I did eventually heal and am glad I made the decision to have a TKR.

I know it's hard to be patient, but that's the best way to get this recovery. Trust that you will heal -- with time.

Sending hugs :console2:

Thank you for your encouraging words. It helps knowing others have been in the same boat. I really appreciate this forum.
I am looking forward to the day when I can have a normal day with out thinking about my knee all the time.

Hello Ann,
I am sorry you're not where you were expecting or hoping to be. It does take some of us longer than it takes others. You have another whole month to heal and rest and I'll bet by the time you return to work you'll be feeling a lot stronger and steadier on your feet. I want to wish you a happy two month anniversary simply because you're doing it! You made it two months and brighter days are on the horizon. Hang in there! :friends:
@Annk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom