BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[THR] 6 weeks out after LTHR feel like I'm regressing

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by chuckster, Jan 27, 2017.

1. chuckster

chuckster

United States United States
    Hi all I'm new here sooooooo glad I found this place!! ....My story is as follows : diagnosed with end stage osteoarthritis in both hips summer of 2016 after two years of slow deterioration and pain after a 40 year tennis playing and coaching career. I'm 57 now and up to 55 I was still playing singles matches beating people 1/2 my age.

Fast forward to now I had a TLHR Dec 15 2016 and was hoping for a panacea and miraculous results I guess forgetting this process takes time and patience. I was on walker 2 weeks then to cane which I'm still on. I feel like I'm regressing in a way. The back sleeping is getting to me the whole thing is so taxing.

My struggle is this-- my " new " hip feels so much better and stronger by the day it's my other hip that is hurting big time I can't understand it. It's weak I have pain and swelling in the non operated side. Is it a result of favoring the surgical side all this time ?! Does it even out!? Is it because I still have osteoarthritis in the other hip still? A combo thereof?

So many questions I hope the pros here give me some sage advice in struggling. Took 5 mg OxyContin last two nights after NO pain meds in weeks. Am I going backwards? Do I need hip #2 done ASAP ?

Help and kind words greatly appreciated.

Chuckster in CT

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

2. Clipper

Clipper

Had my left replaced April 4, 2016. Right hip hurt while walking weeks after. Had right hip replaced Nov 14, 2016 and that pain went away. Based on my experience, your right hip should be replaced sooner than later. My OS said he could replace my second hip 8 weeks after the first, but I waited 7 months. I suggest you get the ball rolling to get your 2nd hip replaced.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sunny girl

Sunny girl

Australia Australia
    I'm with you. Recovering on a bad hip is very hard, as I'm finding. My new hip feels wonderful, the old (which was actually scheduled for the same day as bilateral surgery, but I had complications in surgery and OS didn't proceed) is very, very unhappy. My progress has been at a standstill for quite some time as the old hip can't handle anything in the way of walking or strengthening that I long to do for the new hip. I have to wait on a public list for hip 2 as I don't have insurance.

Did your xrays show OA on both sides? If so, the OA is getting worse daily. I would say YES, get hip 2 done pronto. What a shock for you, to experience such sudden deterioration. All that tennis, short sharp dynamic moves and pivots have no doubt contributed to your OA. Such a wake up call after a lifetime of strength and fitness, isn't it? Particularly when fitness and agility have also been your career. You're just 6 weeks out. Be very patient with your new hip, baby it, be patient with yourself too. Allow the healing to take place, rest and rest again, and - just as important and as much as humanly possible - protect that old hip.

• Like Like x 2
  4. gertie

gertie

@chuckster Sounds like it's time to get the other hip evaluated. My non-op hip is bugging me as well--not as bad as Sunny but it's of mild concern and starts to hurt a bit when I try to up my walking mileage. I think it's a familiar tale--you'll see lots of folks on here who have had both done.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @chuckster Welcome to BoneSmart! Did you have both hips x-rayed - maybe just post op? If you have a copy of the x-ray can you post it here. Our medical expert could take a look and might be able to comment.

It is not uncommon for many areas of the body to start complaining post THR. You are walking differently now and muscles that have not been used in awhile may complain. Does any of this ease with rest?

I'll leave you with a bit of reading to do. The articles are short but they might answer some of your questions about this recovery:
    First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
    - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
    - be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Activity progression for THRs
    Home physio (PT)
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

6. chuckster

chuckster

Hi Jaycey

Thank you !! I had both X-rays pre and post. I know pre they were both bad. Post I met with the PA who told me the new hip looked great no mention of the other one.

Yes it eases at rest in bed especially no pain it's ive been driving and doing stuff it's probably not helping. It's just frustrating cause the new hip healing great and feeling good but I'm feeling like I can't get off the cane cause the old one wants to give way and isn't strong enough. I'm hoping some of it is the overall trauma from surgery and eventually things will even out if that makes sense.

My OS wants to do hip 2 in the fall that's fine if it's manageable till then but if not maybe sooner. But with work and all it's tough I'm also a part time accountant. So, one day at a time huh?

Six weeks isn't that far in right ?! Like others I'm tired of the oh my aunts sister was running marathons two weeks after stories. Makes you feel bad. I'm leaning here there's no timeline listen to your body pace yourself rest rest rest!!

Thanks for the articles and your input!

Chuckster

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

No, 6 weeks is just the beginning of starting to get back to normal. Some of this depends on how long you limped around pre-op. I waited 3 years before having my left hip replaced and that recovery took over 12 months. Fast forward and when my right hip started complaining I ran to the OS and had it done within 6 months of diagnosis. That recovery was MUCH easier - a matter of weeks.
    This is SO unhelpful! Every THR is different even on the same person. Tell these people it's carpentry. Have them watch the video of the op. I'll bet they get a different perspective when the realise just how much trauma your body went through!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Hip Hip Hooray!

Hip Hip Hooray!

I would encourage you to get the second hip done as soon as possible. I had mine done together, and I think I made my recover much easier. You'll feel so much better once that diseased joint is gone. You can already feel the difference with the first hip. I have found that it's night and day...

9. chuckster

chuckster

I think you are right Hip Hip Hooray ! I'm going to tell the surgeon at my 3 month appt March 15 that I want to schedule #2.... I'll be scared again but I'm sure it will be easier knowing what to expect and then I will be closer to getting back on the tennis court to give lessons and maybe even play some doubles again someday.

If and when that ever happens I will cry tears of joy. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever experienced. Thanks to everyone here for the advice and support!!

Chuckster

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. lulu150

lulu150

@chuckster i am 5 weeks out from RTHR and feeling the same way! i am just getting to the point in recovery where my operated hip is starting to feel good and my left hip is screaming in pain from all of the walking and strengthening i am doing. i'm also worried i will be on the cane until my second hip is done. my plan is to try and get some decent pain killers for my left and then get it done in 6 -12 months. i work full time with a long commute, two young kids, husband travels for his job, so it's hard to find time to have surgery again so soon, but i know i need to get it over and done with. if both of your hips were diagnosed with OA then you know it won't get better, only worse. it sounds like its time to start planning for #2. just think how good you will feel once it is all over and you can get back to doing what you love. that is how i am getting through this - focus on the end state and how i will get my life back. i've really tried to take a long term view of it and it has helped me get through the dark moments.

11. chuckster

chuckster

Thank you LuLu much needed comments I'm in mega pain this second with my non operated right side in bed now both ice paks on the right it seems crazy. Just took muscle relaxers and oxy I hadn't taken hardly any pain meds since the first week.

This is a dark time it feels like I have sciatica up and down the right side. Still not sure how much is the existing OA and/or the effects of babying the left for 6 weeks.

I wish I could call the doctor and get it done tonight on one hand on the other this is so flipping traumatic I need 6 months to prepare mentally and the work thing is an issue too. I'm glad you posted at least I know I'm not alone. Hang in there!

And, please other posters chime in I need some support and/or sage advice!!

Thanks !

Chuckster in CT

12. Krista

Krista

@chuckster, you are having a tough time, for sure! I have had two right hip surgeries, one of them a THR back in July 2015. The other in Oct 2016 was a gluteal tendon repair and checking over the prostheses from the THR. Both times early on I definitely had pain in the non-operative leg that I did not have pre-surgery. In my case it was due to the fact that my non-operative leg had to do so much more work to support my body post-op. I also had extra pain in both of my knees and ankles. It got better over time as the surgical hip got stronger. I am 13 weeks out from surgery #2 and have been more active all the time, and today my left knee and ankle have been hurting again. I know I have OA in both of those joints.

As you and others have been saying, six weeks out is early and there is lots of healing that still has to be done in bone and soft tissues. Have you watched a video of the surgery yet? There are some available on YouTube, and if you watch one, you will gain new respect for what you have gone through.

I have to admit that I'd be worried, though, about the swelling and intense pain you are having in the non-op leg. You say it feels like sciatic pain, and I know how agonizing that is since I had it when pregnant and could barely walk. If it were me, I'd get an appointment with a physician.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Hip Hip Hooray!

Hip Hip Hooray!

I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I was the same way on both sides for a few years before getting it done. It was miserable, especially at night. Some people are able to do the surgery sooner. If it were me, I would schedule the next one for as soon as possible. That pain before the surgery is the worst. You will get better in time. It takes a lot of patience. Something about having it over with really helps, psychologically.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. BMsea

BMsea

Hello Chuckster,
    This website has been amazing for questions and support. I just had my left hip replaced a week ago with a temporary hip because of an infection that seemed to come out of nowhere, been dealing with it since Aug 2016. The plan is to be infection free for about a year and get the permanent installed. There is a lot of great advice here. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

My sciatic pain kicked off post LTHR. It's not unusual since you are now walking differently. Trying to stay off a sore hip doesn't help either. Hang in there @chuckster . It's a slow and steady process but you will get there!

16. chuckster

chuckster

Yes you are right there !! I called the surgeon yesterday and spoke with the PA he said yes it's a combo of favoring the non surgical hip and using the other one exclusively with the the fact the X-rays show end stage OA in the second hip as well. So, I been using 5mg Oxy to sleep at night and will have to manage the pain and rest as much as possible until I can do the 2nd surgery.

We initially talked about doing it in fall but I agreed with the PA that we would set a surgery date at my next appt March15...hoping to do it late April/early May now. I'm afraid of course and it seems quick but from what I've heard the 2nd time is much easier. So, what do you guys think ....does that sound like a plan ?!

I can't wait to be done with all this and my only real goal is to walk normal again. I'm so self conscious especially now with the cane in public. I just want the pain to be gone. My new hip feels great now after only 6 1/2 weeks so I'm confident once I become a double hippy member I will get my life and happiness back!

I am ....the Chuckster

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Sounds like a great plan! The sooner you can get that hip done the sooner you will see a complete transformation. No more hip pain!

18. leejaa

leejaa

Well, if you have the other hip done soon, you still have all your post op aids handy and you know what to expect. Then they can all be put away and pain free living can begin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. KCDawg34

KCDawg34

Get it on the calendar now, Chuckster. I have just over four weeks left before I do my second one, and I really can't wait. It's been almost 28 days since I had my right hip done, and it feels great. But today was far and away the worst pain day for me because of my left hip/thigh. I'm so glad I scheduled it back was I was scheduling my initial surgery. I only wish I had stayed with the six week mark -which is what my surgeon suggested. Instead, I decided to wait another two weeks (8 total). Those last two are going to be loooooong.

Hope you are feeling better.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2017
  20. chuckster

chuckster

Yes KC Dawg .....you are on the right track 8 weeks is still amazingly close for both of them from what I've heard. As I said my OS wanted to do the second one in fall ---no way I can wait that long so late spring it is! We are going to schedule it at my next appt.

Thankfully since my scary Sat night flare up I've been somewhat better. I've been taking 1 oxy a day at 10pm and using a heating pad on the non - surgical side. It's helping I'm sleeping better and I'm actually going into work again tomorrow albeit for just a few hours. Told my boss about hip #2 she seems cool with it as long as I work from home.

Hard to imagine doing this again so soon and for me it will be 4 months apart but god how happy I'll be to be out of that miserable pain I endured for two whole years. God bless everyone here this is a major major life challenge wow never really knew anything about OA before I just pounded on my hips and body for 40 adult years not thinking about it.

Hang in there KC you got this !!

Chuckster