THR 6 weeks and feeling GOOD

Yokesgirl

Country
United States United States
I am normally not a complainer but I had TLHR on 6/11/18 and feel I might not have made the right choice. I basically had no alternative I was bone on bone,tried every alternative then decided on surgery. Funny thing was 5 days prior to surgery I felt good maybe that was my sign not to get surgery.The pain the first 2 nights was as bad as childbearing it could not be controlled. As I arrived home the reality hit me, I would be stuck in this house looking out my window on this 88 degree day at my pool my emotions took over. I have basically cried constantly since I been home. Yes the pain is more manageable but nights are rough,my therapist keeps reminding me this is temporary. I feel so alone and isloated. I stay in my room upstairs mostly all day. Does anyone else feel this way? Also no appetite, unable to move bowels despite stool softners,and plenty of liquids. Before this happened I took care of my mom ,babysat my 3 year old granson,I feel I am letting everybody done. Mybhusband is of much use,he is old school and says crying wont help.

I thought I was going to die - the pain was unbearable. Everybody said it was going to be great and it has not been. I agree, far worse than child bearing. That was 13 days ago. About day 8 I started turning the corner. The pain is manageable now and I have graduated from walker to cane. I have a wonderful family- but I don’t think they realize the isolation and helplessness is very depressing and adds to the pain. The good news! I promise we will get better! Day by day. Hang in there my friend!

Welcome to Recovery :welome: I'ts great you joined us. You'll find a lot of support here.
I'm sorry you're struggling. Please understand you are in the very early days of recovery.
All of this is temporary. The pain, the blues, boredom and constipation. While unpleasant, all are very common. It will get better.

If your hip was bone on bone, you did not make a mistake in going through with surgery. Having an ocassional good day is no way to live given the alternative you chose. Once you get past these initial weeks, I don't think you'll regret the decision you made.

Please read the Recovery Article below. Pay special attention to Post Op Blues. Take your meds on schedule.
Ice as often as you can tolerate it and get as much rest as you're able. And if you feel like crying, let it out.
Your days will slowly get brighter. Please believe that.
Best wishes for a peaceful, relaxing week! :)

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Yokesgirl

Ah @Yokesgirl .....hang in there, it does get better! Funny you mention the childbearing thing.....I have a theory that we get 'joint blues' a day or two after the op, like baby blues. Not surprising really.....all that build up and worry gets the stress hormones going, then you're in hospital and it's all anti-climax....... it was all taken care of while you were asleep and all you (apparently) have to look forward to is hard work and impaired mobility and being reliant on others for help....not the brave new world we've been promised (that comes a bit later down the line). And if you're in pain too.....that's a further disappointment cos 'everyone' says there's little pain, it's easy peasy.......so you're thinking 'why am I different'? Two or three days on, you'll get the hang of manoeuvering yourself/organising your pain meds/setting up a routine and you'll feel more 'normal'. Everyone has a different experience, which is good cos it means there's going to be other people on the forum who have felt like you and can cheer you on. Keep doing the ice, rest, medicate thing and "she'll be right" (NZ saying :heehee:)

I am normally not a complainer but I had TLHR on 6/11/18 and feel I might not have made the right choice. I basically had no alternative I was bone on bone,tried every alternative then decided on surgery. Funny thing was 5 days prior to surgery I felt good maybe that was my sign not to get surgery.The pain the first 2 nights was as bad as childbearing it could not be controlled. As I arrived home the reality hit me, I would be stuck in this house looking out my window on this 88 degree day at my pool my emotions took over. I have basically cried constantly since I been home. Yes the pain is more manageable but nights are rough,my therapist keeps reminding me this is temporary. I feel so alone and isloated. I stay in my room upstairs mostly all day. Does anyone else feel this way? Also no appetite, unable to move bowels despite stool softners,and plenty of liquids. Before this happened I took care of my mom ,babysat my 3 year old granson,I feel I am letting everybody done. Mybhusband is of much use,he is old school and says crying wont help.
I can try to understand. I had my TRHR on 6th June this year. Whilst in hospital I couldn't open my bowels nor pre, so I was catheterised, and got a bladder infection. I'm home now, I have massive flare up of arthritic pain in my shoulders due to having to push myself up. Like you I cry....it's a realise of deep emotion.
I keep telling myself This too will pass. Hang on in there girl. Remember you are brave with what you've been througj

The first week is the worst the worst the worst the worst! I wish you could get the pain under control - have you contacted your doctor to see if there's something else you can try? In the mean time, don't give up hope - that's the thing that'll see you thru, no matter what. Realistically, the odds are phenomenal that eventually you'll forget the pain, and you'll be happy you did this. Sort of like childbirth!

Welcome. I wish I had an answer but it's just the same old it will get better in time. There's no turning back so it's all about acceptance and moving forward. On my part it was just dumb luck that I had mine done in the winter. It was easier to sit and look out and not feel down about how nice it was outside. But on the other hand I had to get fully dressed every day and also keep the wood stove going every day. I guess I sound like your husband as crying won't do any good, it's a good release once in a while but then you have to move on. This surgery is a major trauma, and most aren't aware until after. It will take a lot including a positive attitude to heal and the healing will be slow.

@Yokesgirl ! Welcome! You definitely found the right forum for getting the support and assurance you'll need especially at this very early stage of recovery for you. You are not letting anyone down, this is your time to get some TLC because your surgery was a major one. I'll be 7 weeks post op this week and once in a while I still get depressed or feel sorry for myself so you are not alone my friend. Read people's stories on here and you will be motivated and inspired by their strength to overcome the physical and emotional pain that comes w/ this type of surgery. I wish you well and continued recovery! Cheers to you! :martini:

Hope things are looking up today @Yokesgirl
Don't be a stranger, lots of support here.
Warmest wishes for a great week!

My dear Yokesgirl, Welcome to this wonderful Forum ~
You are not letting anyone down...this is the time to let your body heal, this is your time to simply rest, relax and take it easy! You've just gone through a major surgery, this time is all about you and your health, recovering and healing properly!

Like you, I had a question of maybe putting this off but it was a year of pain, on and off crutches for 6 mo's and literally crawling on my hands and knees one time in my home due to the horrific pain! That's not a good lifestyle to have ~ that was a sign! I also thought a week post surgery "oh my gosh....what did I do" and cried a bit, fortunately my husband was so kind and assured me that I did the right thing and told me to just relax, heal and take it easy! I am fortunate that he was and continues to be so supportive but he also had back surgery years ago and understands the difficulty and limitations post surgery. It can be so challenging and frustrating being stuck in bed but my surgeon said to me "just let your body heal and take it easy"!

This too will pass and you will be feeling much better soon! I'm 5 and 1/2 weeks post today and am feeling so much better! Like you, my pain was worse at night...I felt like this huge thing was so heavy in my leg and it was difficult to move to my side (non operated leg) with pillows in between legs and little strength!

Everyone told me to "stay ahead of the pain", make sure you drink a ton of water and ICE constantly....that percocet killed me with the constipation....I only took 1 every 8 hours (the script said 1-2 every 4 as needed)...can't imagine what that would have done to me, fortunately 1 every 8 did the trick but everyone's pain level and tolerance is different. I wasn't hungry and had light soups and meals during the first 2 weeks. I started eating prunes (yuck....) but it did help get things moving ; ) I remember a nurse telling me upon leaving the hospital, "make sure you don't let it go more than 3 days"...I thought to myself; how does one control that? You don't want to force anything and if you can't go....you can't go right? (LOL)!

Sounds like you're the care giver and not used to being cared for but this is the time to take care of yourself! Be kind, be gentle, be patient with yourself and know that this is exactly what I went through as well as many others! I love this forum, you have many going through the same process at different stages of recovery and have lots of support ~ you've come to the right place!

Know that I am here for you and am fully supporting you in your recovery.
Sending you positive healing thoughts and wishing you a smooth and pain free recovery moving forward ~

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll echo what others have said and encourage you to think about the long-term benefits of having the surgery. All you are going through right now is temporary (thank goodness, right?). I didn't have significant post op blues, but I recovered during winter, and it was sure hard to get out and about with ice and snow. If your mobility allows, try spending less time alone in your room, or maybe even try to sit by your pool for a change of scenery. A little vitamin D therapy might do you good.

@ yokesgirl. I had THR June 5...tomorrow will start my week three. I relate to how you’re feeling. Last week I had 2 bad days. I laid in bed . Cancelled all PT and Home aide. I hated everybody and everything. I banged my walker on the floor. An adult temper tantrum.
You know what, today, I said ..That’s what I needed....that’s where my head was. Ok , I got it out.
Maybe I have another one of those days.. ok. I’ll deal.
So , I think it’s ok to cry, if you need to, get mad if that helps. It’s you being you at that moment.
And when you’re ready , you will get to that strong place inside of you and you will get back to work.
Give yourself a big hug.

Please, please try to get some help. Call someone, a neighbor, pastor or friend. Tell your doctor how you are feeling. Get a visiting nurse. Vent here as often as needed. Take your meds on schedule and by all means ice, ice, ice.

It's okay to have a mini breakdown...I did.
Like once all the anxiety of surgery was done, and the oh no...what did I do...got to sinking in...
But it was what HAD to be done...and I am so happy, NOW that I did it.
Hope you have a peaceful night!:angel:

Dear Yokesgirl,

I too am new to this forum and have found so much support and care in the few days I have been a member. I had my TLHR done on May 24th and agree with so much wisdom that has been shared. The only thing I have done is make sure I have one visitor or one conversation each day. These give me something to look forward to. Sometimes I've just done the pity blub but generally, these chats take me to ordinary things of everyday life. Friends are there to help and most of us have been through difficult times and want to support others. I also keep a little journal and I only have to turn back a few days to see how far I've come. My innerds didn't move for 6-7 days and I added Senokot to the stool softener and it worked a treat. The worst is over, it really is.
Take care

{{{ @Yokesgirl }}}

Everyone who posted to your thread has given you the real deal.
This is a big surgery, a really big one, requires a big commitment to recovery.
This is not for wimps.
Not that you are being a wimp- heavens no! However our expectations
can really differ from reality. Especially when one starts comparing to
the guy who breezed through and ties his shoes the day after surgery
and never used a walker!

It is no small detail that most people require heavy drugs for
quite awhile. The medication can and does come with a few
adverse effects. Some people tolerate well but for others this is a huge problem.
Constipation , nausea, dizziness and the blues factor are no laughing matter.
I asked for a muscle relaxer because my horrid muscle spasms kept me immobile.
Also there is a BIG mood lift once past the fleets enema :heehee: and then
when I gave myself permission to give up the heavy pain relievers for a normal gut.
Not telling you what to do but it's what I had to do.

Please try to get out of your bedroom if possible during the day. Change of scenery and all.
Do you have someone home with you during the day?
I agree about getting outside a bit if you can manage that.
One of the biggest challenges is the blue mood battle and staying alone in your bedroom
may be contributing to that.
I set up a bedroom on my first floor and then moved to the recliner in the living room
during the day.
Helped me feel like I had a place to go. Even if it was just the other end of the house.

You will get through this and come to terms with your new hip. Best wishes.
You've found this forum and there's always a light on here:idea:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks