6 weeks after TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pattipoo: I hope your not mad at me for nick naming you "Hemi". I have not heard from you since. I just thought a little levity was good for all of us! Can I hear back from you?
respects,
Chuck T Man
PS: Im sure you can find a "special" name for me after all my rants posted here, lol.

Me mad???.....heck, no. I love kidding around!!! I thought I already HAD responded....oh well....must be the meds!!! I can "pick" with the BEST of them.....hit me with your best shot! I'm a Happy Soul - can't you tell that??

hit me with your best shot! I'm a Happy Soul - can't you tell that??

Don't tempt him!!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_smilieslingshot.jpg

Doug, this is my right knee this time; I had the left done back awhile; the surgeon says it is still in good shape. I have done much better this time, even though I am 8 years older. I had a LOT of therapy the last time, this time not nearly so much and I am doing so much better...go figure.

Liz

Pattipoo, I see you are from North Carolina. I just had to cancel my April trip to High Point (furniture/lighting market...I am a lighting buyer) due to my beloved knee. I thought 9 weeks after TKR was a bit much for High Point. Where do you reside in NC? Beautiful state and delightful people.

Thanks! We live right out of Charlotte. Hate you're missing your event - we're all in that same boat!

I have gone twice a year to High Point and twice a year to Dallas for the last 18
years. I guess I am entitled to miss one (actually I missed the late January Dallas market...it was 1 day before surgery). I, too, am saddened to be canceling the hotels, car rentals etc. I love NC in the Spring.

hi gang....1st patti hemi's or not...you are so THE BIRTHDAY GIRL!! hope it was all that and more! liz,,,,you rock sister, i'm so glad to hear you are almost pain free.....that's awesome...there is hope out there. tomorrow is 6 weeks and i can say i'm better but no where near close to normal , i can't do the stairs yet at all, going up maybe if i hop a bit but going down..who am i kidding..i'm scared to death. also find i'm walking w/a little limp which doesn't make me happy but the new p.t. says give it time..she also said i was doing too much home therapy and making it worse w/tendonitis....she says too back off and ice baby ice so that's been my wk/end. did make the hubby happy and rallied for a dinner date last night, then it was home and back in bed by 10pm... pattipoo, you live in the greatest area....love charlotte, my ex's sister lived there and we knew it well....and you have to have better weather than we do !
Another week begins, here's to all of us having a good one!

Thanks bSassy....i really believe that doing too much can be harmful rather than helpful. In addition to my regular 15 minutes, i do little spontaneous stretches, like when I am at the computer or watching Tv. Going downstairs is definitely the hardest. Keep the faith.

liz

Today I shift from in-home physical therapy to outpatient pt. Psychologically that is a boost. I feel less infirmed. I am hoping their equipment and machines will take me to the next level. The only machine I have access to at home is my stationery bike which has been a great help. When I first used it, it was an exercise in pain. The top of the rotation was excruciating but each rotation got a little easier. I was only able to do 5-10 minutes at zero resistance. 10 days later (now) I can go 30 minutes with the same resistance I used pre-TKR. Still feels a bit stiff for the first 5-10 rotations but you can really feel that this is a good exercise for the new knee.

The bike was my first challenge in PT. I could not even rock the pedals back and forth. In time, it was my favorite machine....really warmed me up to the demands of the remaining PT.

I'm with you on the bike T-Man. I like it because I can 'see' the progress as I move the seat closer and set the resistance and time myself. The progress is a tangible thing that I can measure. I'm real big on seeing results in order to stay motivated.

After 6 weeks of staring at the same 4 walls I returned to work today. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Got a little stiff if I sat too long. I was able to ice my knee a few times during the day and that helped. Took a couple of Aleve (thanks Doug) and that helped too. Tired now but not as much as I thought I would be. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Awesome! Sounds like you had a pretty good day. I'm still getting the deep ache in the afternoon and I'm pretty much used up by the time I've driven home, some of that has to do with things being hectic at work...I'd be coming home "used up" without the knee surgery!

Hope tomorrow is as good as today was for you.

I'm with you on the bike T-Man. I like it because I can 'see' the progress as I move the seat closer and set the resistance and time myself. The progress is a tangible thing that I can measure. I'm real big on seeing results in order to stay motivated.

Exactly....Im the same way. I need to see results in order to show Im doing the right thing. Two months ago, I was unable to rock the pedals on the stationary bike.....now, Im powershifting my 93 EVO trying to get some rubber! WE ALL NEED TO BE MOTIVATED! We need to stay focused and continue to fight the good fight in recovery!
regards,
Chuck :)

When Doug said this boaard was great he was certainly right. I was so afraid of this surgery before I found it and now I feel as though I am actually going to make it. I don't think there is much worse than fear that you can't explain or talk to anyone in your family about because you don't want them to be afraid too. I am sure you guys know what I am taking about. I have even gotten a couple of nights sleep where before I found this site I was waking up at 11pm or so and laying there in bed awake and in pain thinking about what if. So thanks to all of you for being here and I really hope you all have speedy recoveries. I am one of the ones who check several times a day to see how everyone is doing and to see the new posts. Jan (Rowdy66)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PATTIPOO, HOPE YOU HAVE MANY MORE, PAINFREE BIRTHDAYS WITH YOUR FEET UP IN YOUR RECLINER. Don't know how we would survive with our recliners, plus they keep the sofas free for the dogs. Jan (ROWDY66)

Thanks, Jan!! This place IS wonderful, you're right. I had me a little pity/party/hormonal/ meltdown last night while my family slept snug as a bug! I literally think I would have gone out of my mind without this message board.....tooooooo many funky things happened to my bod during this little adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie