6 weeks after TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
bsassy,
I do like your attitude. I too have cried like a baby, then I pull myself together and say, it will get better. I have done this a few times. I have since found out I may have a pulled hamstring, which is why I have so much pain behind the knee and down my calf. But now I feel better knowing what the pain is all about and that my PT can solve the problem. My husband and I are taking a cruise in Sept 2008 and all I can think about is that I won't be in any pain and able to walk forever.

Keep on with your dream, it seems wonderful.

I am now 1 month past TKR today and looking forward to returning to work after bein a virtual shut in for the last month, although I have been working remotely since a week after my surgery. I still have good days and bads days, but am looking forward to more good than bad. I am a little nervous about going back to work physically, as I have a 75 minutes commute from my home to my office (I live in the surburbs about 45 minutes outside of NYC). I used a CPM which was beneficial to me even though my wife and to fight with my insurance company "the big A" in order for them to approve it for home use. 2.5 weeks past sugery, I only had 85 degrees ROM. MY physical therapist is very agressive and basically told me I was going to get to 100 degrees in 1 week. Needless to say after many screams and expletives and pain meds, I was able to get 100 degrees after 1 week. I am looking forward to the day when I can get to 115 assisted. Hang in there, as it only gets better. The threat of having to be manipulated by my surgeon under anethesia made me endure pain in order to progress. I still get depressed and have my "days" when I am in pain and wonder why I did this. My wife found this board for me in the weeks leading up to my surgery and I attribute this site with helping me to mentally prepare for my TKR surgery.

KB, I just got home from therapy and I have gained 13* in the last week. That is a lot but for me its great. As for going back to work with a commute like that, I have about the same, just be prepared for swelling and stiffness. Good luck.

It's kind of funny in that all of us have this fear of the "manipulation". It just isn't going to happen.
I had to go to my regular Dr. today for a blood pressure follow up. He wanted to give me a form to have my blood drawn for another cholesterol check. I told him thank you very much but that I have been poked, stuck, bent and prodded enough this past month and that he was going to have to wait a month or so before I was ready to see anybody holding a needle in my direction. He laughed and said he understood.

Thanks for the offer. Believe me if I could take you up on the offer I would. I just need to be away from Dr.'s for awhile.

I am so glad that I found this board!!!! I am 5 1/2 weeks PO and have been feeling very frustrated and depressed. Thanks to you guys I have realized that I am physically at a point better than some and not as good as others. The encouragement I get from reading your posts is what is driving me to get through this. Right now for me it is more mental than physical. Don't get me wrong, I still experience a lot of pain and discomfort (slept maybe 6 hours in the last 3 nights) but I am resigned to the fact of "no pain, no gain". My PT is great. He instinctively knows how far to push (maybe from my facial expressions?) and goes no farther. My doctor cleared me to return to work next week at my insistence that I need to be doing something for my mental well being. For those who are having a tough time, keep plugging, it does get better. Good luck to all!!!!!

I'm 6 1/2 weeks PO and have been back at work for 2 weeks. It's tough, but doable. I can actually get my mind off myself at work. The problem is running slab-dab out of energy by afternoon and going home in a funk.

Patti, I haven't heard "slap-dab" in a while, but I know exactly what you mean. I just got home from therapy and I am wiped out, slap-dab wiped out. I am 8 weeks PO yesterday and finally seeing the progress I was looking for at 4-5 weeks. It serves as a reminder that we do not get to set our own schedules, regardless of how independant we may think we are. To everyone that is discourged and frustrated with their recovery process, hang in there and keep pushing. It will get better, the pain will become less and you will get back to a better life. The people on this board are wonderful, share your load and don't give up. If anyone ever needs a lift this is great place to get one. Keep trying, God bless you all.

Just a little farther south of Pattipoo and you get "just plumb tuckered out".
I think the stock market analogy is the best I've heard about our recovery.

Sounds like going back to work may be good for my mental state but not so much for my physical state. Has anyone put in a full day's work and then gone for therapy? I have several appointments scheduled for right after work. After hearing Patti describe being "slab-dab worn out" after work I'm wondering if I am being optomistic with going back to work next week. Granted I do sit behind a computer all day but having been pretty much an invalid for the past 6 weeks makes me wonder if I am pushing it.

You'll do fine. I've got two weeks of working full time under my belt. The first week was ROUGH....this week was better, even though I came home used up. I can tell a huge difference from Monday until now....it'll only get better. This is how I'm making it....we have an office that has a recliner in it. At lunch, I take 1/2 of my lowest dose pain pill....turn off the lights, shut the door, put my feet up and power nap. It works wonders!
Good Luck...can't wait to hear how you do!

Thanks, Patti. That makes me feel a little better. I won't be able to power nap, but my boss is very understanding and I'm sure if I need a little down time it won't be a problem. I've tried using Advil (4 200mg pills at a time) for the pain but it doesn't seem to do anything. Have you tried anything like that? I don't have what I call real pain, just a persistent ache that is pretty much manageable during the day. I have only been taking the pain meds at night, so I can get some sleep.

Soxfan, have you tried Alieve? I pretty much quit with the Advil. Even before the surgery, I used it the majority of the time. As far as Tylenol, I may as well not take anything.
I asked others about that deep ache last week. I have no areas of pain. Just the whole knee feeling like a balloon is being blown up inside. As for me, I'm going to keep going with the oxycodine. One pill pretty much does it and doesn't knock me out.

The deep ache is something that only WE can discuss. I try and try to tell my husband what it feels like....I can't! When I ride in a car, I'm okay for a while....then the deep ache sets in and I'm psycho by the time I get home. It WAS a long drive, though, this morning......I did end up with a mac daddy, biggest one in the showroom, premium leather lazy boy recliner for my birthday (monday) so I suppose the trip was worth it!

Ache on, brother, ache on for a new Lazy Boy!!! GOSH...the thing looked huge in the showroom...then I had to put my 6' tall big self in it and made it look all skimpified!.....oh well....

Here it is....feels like buttah!
ai29.tinypic.com_2h5qr8h.jpg

Pattipoo Hemi....In New Jersey, a Mac Daddy is a small machine gun pistol carried by gang members........lol. Got the street name from the Interarms Company's Mac-10. Just thought Id share that. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
Respects,
Chuck

Happy Birthday Patti!!! Don't wear out that Lazy-Boy. You're right about being OK for awhile. Went out this morning and was fine for a while. Then that ache set in and I had to get off my feet.

Doug, Thanks for the advice on the Aleve. I will get some and give it a try. I had to stop the oxycodone about a week after surgery. It really messed me up. Take 2 Vicodin when I need it. One doesn't seem to do anything. I'm afraid to take 2 if I am going to drive because 2 seems to make me a little drowsy and not as alert as normal. Maybe the Aleve will work.

Hi..i just found this site. I am 6 weeks now from my TKR (my second, the previous one was 8 years ago). I almost hate to share my experiences, as I have done so well; I have no idea why. I was 5 days in hospital; the day i came home I ditched my walker and the next day i ditched my cane (just indoors). i also went up and down my stairs one at a time.

At this stage i am driving (i was at three weeks), I do my stairs reciprocally and walk normally. I still get some pain if i twist my knee. I have total extention and 120 degrees bend.

it is interesting to note that my PT experience has differed greatly from that of most of you. First there was no CPR machine: the surgeon says they are no longer used here as they are considered to be too passive. Also I was put on a high protein diet in the hospital to help speed up healing.I have spent at most 15 minutes a day (5 minutes x 3) on PT; I see my therapist once a week. He stresses greatly that too much exercise is not good at all and can undo the good that has been done. I do no leg lifts at all (they are out of date). I do squats (two legs and one leg) and straighten and bend my knee to the point where there is some pain, but it is tolerable. I hold a stretch for no longer than 6 seconds.

I see where some of you are talking abut a couple of hours a day of exercise and manipulation. My therapist would go bananas if i did that. He says it is better to exercise 'smart' rather than 'long' and always in small chunks.

I so feel for those of you who are experiencing a tough time. Hang in!

liz

Is this your second on the same leg??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties