Lounge Doctor

PKR 6 week post ROM 106

Peaches0000

Country
United States United States
Sounds pretty normal, I read on here about taking longer strides ( it helps with extension) and after I started doing that for a couple of weeks, I picked up a lot more speed- honestly, I think it’s natures way of keeping us safe, our new knees don’t want us to fall on them and until we can be steady and balance right, our mind protects them from us trying to do to much before we are ready.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I don't think anyone could walk briskly at only 7 weeks post-op.

This is a year-long recovery, so try not to expect fast progress. Slow and steady is the way to go.
If you think of it as a race, it's a marathon, not a sprint, so you need to pace yourself and find plenty of patience along the way, if you can.

You've had very major surgery and it is going to take a long time for your knee and all its surrounding tissues to recover fully from the trauma. After all, your knee didn't get into such a bad state in just a few weeks, so try to allow it plenty of time to recover, too.

babycatcher

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I’m 6 weeks after a total knee replacement and I’m still walking slowly and keep telling my husband to slow down! I have no need to rush and walking faster just seems to cause more pain so in my book why do it.

OP
OP
P

pkraug2020

Country
Almost 10 weeks PKR and beginning to have glimpses of normalcy, meaning I now have moments I actually forget for a short time I had knee surgery. Today I walked more than usual and mowed the lawn, a first since surgery as the uneven ground still feels a little unstable. I've noticed this evening I'm experiencing an achy feeling in my shin area. Has anyone experienced pain/aching in their shin? Icing and elevating tonight!

OP
OP
P

pkraug2020

Country
Anyone experience itching around the surgical site? My entire knee itches, not the incision. No rash or redness associated, just itching at times. I've moisturizing daily as well.

Zara

Country
I had PKR on 9/17. My incision has been itching and as well as down my shin. I do moisturize around my knee which does help a little. I use vitamin E lotion which seems to help. I also can't have anything touching my incision because it gets irritated.

sistersinhim

Country
It is very possible that all that itching is caused by nerves that are repairing themselves. If you think about how much your tissues, tendons, muscles, and nerves are moved around getting that implant inside your knee it's perfectly logical that you'd be feeling all kinds of different things during your healing process. I even added in mine, both feet peeling even though I had only one knee replaced!

OP
OP
P

pkraug2020

Country
Yes sistersinhim, I was also wondering about nerves healing as well. Let's hope so!! :yes!:

Muldoh

Country
Hi Pkraug2020! 7 weeks was not a happy time for me. Still lots of pain, stiffness and swelling. But at 7 weeks my patience was starting to wane and I definitely felt like I should be doing more. But as everyone told me, it takes a lot of time for healing to happen, so hang in there! It does get better. I am 3.5 months out now, back at work and feeling so much better than I was. It’s still far from perfect, but I now go as long as a few hours without even thinking about my knee. Major progress from that seven week mark. Best wishes, and good luck with your recovery!

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Almost 10 weeks PKR and beginning to have glimpses of normalcy, meaning I now have moments I actually forget for a short time I had knee surgery. Today I walked more than usual and mowed the lawn, a first since surgery as the uneven ground still feels a little unstable. I've noticed this evening I'm experiencing an achy feeling in my shin area. Has anyone experienced pain/aching in their shin? Icing and elevating tonight!
Walking on uneven ground can aggravate those soft tissues for a while. Icing and elevating was just the thing to do.

marieltha

graduate
Country
My OS recommended focusing on (very gradually) increasing the distance and gait, and not focusing at all on speed. He told me the gait is changing for at least 3 months after the surgery. He encouraged me to focus on improving the gait, and on increasing leg stamina by increasing duration (time walking without stopping) gradually, but steadily. He said increasing the speed or duration too quickly would likely cause more swelling, which it did. .
I was so used to walking fast and far that I was impatient. I did better at following his advice after the second pkr. LOL, he's always right.
Heel toe Heel toe became my mantra.

OP
OP
P

pkraug2020

Country
11 weeks PO and noticed what I believe to be a small suture coming from my incision. My scar is healed and no redness. Does anyone know if it's normal for a dissolvable suture to be surfacing at this stage in the healing process?

sistersinhim

Country
This does happen. It's not often, but you should be fine. Of course, if it seems to be causing any problems give your OS a call.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CANCUN1986
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom