6 week post op appointment update - Good News!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_Marlow

Well folks I posted my post op questions in Lisa's thread and I have had my 6 week post-op meeting with my consultant today.

Basically, I'm happy and he's happy that I'm happy!

All is going well, I've no pain and I am only taking Ibuprofen when I overdo it a bit.
All bruising and swelling disappeared within a week or two.

I'm still using sticks for walking distances, but they are not necessary around the house and I'm already finding them a hindrance when out.

There have been some improvements in my gait and posture, but as expected there is still work to do. I've been stooped and limping for some time.

Sleeping on my back has been awkward and has resulted in some broken sleep and stiffness, but it soon wears off

I've been walking the mile to my gym a few times a week and working a set of exercises in the pool. In the last two weeks I've been building up some time on a static bike and a cross trainer.

The good news is he has lifted my hip precautions, with the highly technical proviso.."just don't go mad, you're not footballer on a timescale, who needs to be fit by the end of the month". I understand, still plenty of healing to be done and slow and steady will get me there.

The really good news is that he has OK'd me to drive and to sleep on my side.
Though he warned sleeping on my side might be uncomfortable as the deep healing is still happening under the wound.
As a bonus he said I can do some cycling outside too.

He agreed with my Physio-Terrorist that my hip abduction has already improved significantly and that the focus for the future is improving hip extension.

Surprisingly, he asked me would I mind coming to see him again in 3 months? Of course I will says I.

All this good progress means it is back to work for me at the end of the month.

I still have some way to go, but hopefully this will help show you folks considering surgery in pre-op that it can go according to plan.

All in all I'm a happy hippie.
Cheers
Steve

WOW!!!!! Really pleased for you Steve, sounds like you have come along in leaps and bounds. Great news that he was as pleased as you are with your progress.

Just take care of your shiny new hips. :0)

pps just noticed that I've graduated from a newbie to a junior member

Well done, Steve. You've recovered remarkably well from your double. Now's the time to work on it with as much patience as you can muster. I've been useless at the next bit.

You'll soon be back on your boat again, but it might be in sou'wester and leggings unless the weather shows a more friendly face fairly soon.

Yours, Alan :th_yahoo:

Congratulations! It sounds like yo are dong tremendously! Keep up the great work, and please keep us updated as to how you are dong!

Tim C.

Hey Steve,

Sounds like everything is shipe shape and Bristol fashion. Now you can get off the stoop and head down to the boatyard. Spring is coming, you'll be just in time for the scraping, caulking, painting and retrofit. That's the other side of boating.

Keep it up

Regards

Jack

Great news, Steve!

I'll be interested to hear how sleeping on your side goes, my hips are still a bit tender so I haven't ventured to my side yet, but it felt really good to get rid of that pillow between my legs!

Wow Steve, you are doing so well! This is a huge milestone - restrictions lifted. Slow and steady does it. Build up your stamina for those work days. Fantastic result!

Great news, Steve!

I'll be interested to hear how sleeping on your side goes, my hips are still a bit tender so I haven't ventured to my side yet, but it felt really good to get rid of that pillow between my legs!

Hi Celeste, I tried sleeping on my side and it was still a bit too sensitive to stay that way for long, but it was good to relieve some of the back aches overnight. I've not been using a pillow between my legs, while on my back but I did when on my side. It also seems to help mentally because even though it is not comfortable for long it is one less prohibition.:smile:

Thank you everyone for your kind comments
Cheers
Steve

Steve, it is heartwarming to hear how well you're doing. You are going to have such a great summer with your new hips!!! I bet you are smiling non-stop these days!

Re: 6 week post op appointment update - (UPDATE)

Folks, I just thought I'd log another couple of milestones.

Today is now 8 weeks since my operation and I went back to my IT office job last Monday.

No problems with work, but it has been a challenge to get out of my pit in the mornings and no more afternoon naps.

Only minor issue is my lower back has been a bit stiffer due to crouching over a laptop, but I hope to have sorted that now.

Working also does wonders to help you sleep, 9 hrs straight sleep on my side last night. I know some of you are longing for such rest, I was too, but I can say that it does come!

Take Care
Steve

I was just wondering today how you were getting on. Did you have s phased return or go straight in at the deep end? My doc doesn't want me back at work til the end of April!!! I'll have forgotten how to do my job by then.

Glad to hear you are doing well

Lisa

Well done! Good to hear you are rejoining the world!

Steve,
We really are on the same schedule...I went back to my office last week! I have to say that I shut my office door and scheduled in a nap :th_heehee:

Lisa, it's a little like riding a bike, I don't think you'll forget how to do your job!

That's really great, Steve....you're not wasting any time at all getting back to normal. I understand your feelings about no more naps....they can be awfully pleasant!!

Lisa - Celeste is so right, the time off is very quickly forgotten and before you know it you are nose deep in the usual problems ;-)

Celeste -
Yes we do seem to be on the same timeline and not much slower for being Bi-Lateral! Maybe our surgeons came back fresh after a Xmas break and did a good job for us?

I'd be interested in how you are doing,
Are you managing to sleep on your side?
I'm still using a cane for longer walks in case I get tired and start to limp ( or Drunken Sailor as another BoneSmartie put it)?

I assume you have no regrets about going Bi-Lateral?
Each Surgeon seems to have their own approach but I'm glad mine suggested Bi-Lateral. It is certainly good to be on the upslope now rather than thinking of a second Op.

Cheers
Steve

Yes Steve - you're probably right. Met a couple of colleagues for lunch today and had an hour long conversation with my stand in last week......................I am in noooooooo rush to get back!!!!! Sounds like there are loads of problems and lots to fire fight.:hairpulling:

It has made me decide to really enjoy my time off, I don't feel ill and I'm probably as mobile as I was pre op but without pain, I'm still on full pay..........what's not to like!:THUMB: I'm going to need to be 100% and ready to hit the ground running before I can get back to the pressure cooker.

Don't overdo it.

Lisa

Lisa, you are SO right. If you can afford it don't rush back to work. Recovery in an unstressed environment is so much better for you. Ease into it as Jo always recommends.

Steve - glad you are back to work but please do try to rest when you can. Still early days as we say! Take care!

Hi, Steve,
How's work going?

It's really helpful to compare recovery notes with you, thanks for posting.

I'm doing really well, a little sore today because my PT program was ramped up a bit yesterday, but it's just muscle soreness and I know it will feel better soon...at least until I go to PT tomorrow!

I haven't used the cane at all for about a week now. I do however take it with me and leave it in the car "just in case". I'm not limping at all, just a bit stiff when I first stand up from sitting, but I find if I just stand for a bit before I start walking I'm OK. I'm also stiff first thing in the morning.

I'm still sleeping on my back, my hips are still a bit tender if I'm on my side. I did try sleeping on my stomach which I've always done, but it wasn't all that comfortable much to my dismay. Fortunately I haven't had any sleep issues, so I guess I've become a back sleeper at this point.

My only concern right now is that one leg seems to be stronger than the other, My right leg seems a bit stiffer and gets more sore than my left. My guess is that it will all even out eventually. Going into surgery my left hip was worse than the right so I did a lot of compensating with that right leg. Do you notice a difference ?

And I have absolutely NO regrets about bilateral surgery! I am so grateful I found a surgeon who would do BTHR. I think we were both very lucky!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member