6 week mark and distressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weasel

6 weeks ago I had my left THR. Things started to slowly get better as I continued with my exercises.
A few days ago, possibly in my haste to get better, faster, I decided going up the stairs in my house like a healthy person would. It started off with slight discomfort and by the time I reached the top 12 steps later, I needed the crutches. Still, 3-4 days later, I have pain around where I expect the prosthesis is bottoming out in the bone.
I did not carry on climbing the stairs like a normal person, after the one time. I am very worried I may have done damage to the joint.
I also suffer alot of discomfort around both left and right backside cheeks after 5-10 minutes of sitting, even on pillows. Has anyone had similar trouble and recommendations. Thanks

The pain you are experiencing in your backside is pretty common. It will go away with time.

It does sound like you were NOT ready to take the stairs in normal fashion. It's very, very doubtful that you did anything to your new hip joint. But....there is a wealth of soft tissue in there that probably didn't like the idea of "bounding" up steps. That pain too will go away with time. Be sure you are resting, icing, elevating more than you would normally. And, make sure you're taking pain meds on a schedule...either prescription or over-the-counter...but you need something.

Thanks very much for the reassurance. As all of us on this site know the pain we have been thru and certainly do not wish to revisit again. I shall take the advice onboard. Thanks
Mike

Gently does it in future, eh? You'll know your hip is ready when one day you get to the top of the stairs and think "Oh gosh, I did that normally!"

Hi Mike, Welcome! I just saw your join date and realized that is today! You are going to meet some wonderfully caring people on this site. We REALLY take care of each other. It is quiet here on weekends so I'm sure you will be hearing from more members as the weekend goes by.

Why don't you tell us a little about yourself?

The website has two wonderful moderators, Jo and Jamie, who are an encyclopedia of knowledge between them, as well as a lot of the folks on board willing to listen and put their two cents worth in. Everyone has been fantastic to me.

If you look around you will find all sorts of areas; social, games, library, you name it.

The weekend tends to be more quiet but that may change with summer quickly coming to an end. I only joined in June and have met some delightful folks.

So look around and see what's up. I think you'll be very happy here, at any time day or nite as it is the "world, wide, web". Best!

PS: It is helpful if you add your surgery date in with your signature. You will find instructions for that and picture posting, etc., in the "user Control Panel".

Ouch Mike, that sounds painful. Once I get to your point, I will have to remember not to do that!!!
I hope you feel better again soon.
Sha

Mike,
I remember when my Pt took me to the stairs to walk up and down just 5 steps! She made me do it twice and I was hating every step! I proceeded to die that afternoon and night with pain! I had the whole freezer of ice all around my legs and hip and back.
I remember thinking I will never do that again!:hissy:
The next day I woke up and I felt so much better I couldn't believe it.:shk: I contined with the steps at my next session and it was so much better. You probably over did it as all have said. Good luck toyou!!! And just be patient with the stairs..you will get normal soon enough!!!
Sandy

Hi Mike,

I'm just a couple of weeks ahead of you, tomorrow will b at 8 weeks and everything you described in your first post I too have experienced :) If misery likes company this is the right place!

It will SLOWLY get easier as I have up and down days and weeks....

Welcome to the site - it's great - take some time to look around and keep posting :thmb:

xoxoxox,

Linda.

'Misery likes company' is a certainty! But here we somehow manage to get something positive out of it, don't we?

Hi Mike, I'm at the six week mark too & I overdid it today as well-it's very frustrating as you feel you're nearly back to normal.

My rear end hurt like mad too- don't know if you've checked it but mine turned out to be excema of all things- never had it before & was convinced I had bedsores at first

Oh goodness - bet you were a bit :shk:! Is it better now?

Yes Jo (and Mike) there are always positives and I shouldn't have said that - sort of emotional today as hubby is leaving in a week and am scared about that.

xoooxoxo,

Linda.

No, no, no - that wasn't why I posted that. It's true, very true. I almost followed it up with that other little homily "Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone" but then I realised that here on BoneSmart, we don't let people cry alone, do we? So remember that when you're getting jumpy about hubby departing. We'll still be here to hold your hand! :cnsl:

No, no, no - that wasn't why I posted that. It's true, very true. I almost followed it up with that other little homily "Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone" but then I realised that here on BoneSmart, we don't let people cry alone, do we? So remember that when you're getting jumpy about hubby departing. We'll still be here to hold your hand! :cnsl:

:agree:
That's a really lovely thing to say Jo.
Sometimes you know what you want to say, but just can't find the right words, but those just summed it up so well!!
Sharon
x

Yes Jo (and Mike) there are always positives and I shouldn't have said that - sort of emotional today as hubby is leaving in a week and am scared about that.

xoooxoxo,

Linda.
hi linda
it will be hard in begining ,but long term it will be great, big hugs :gphg::flwr: thinking of you, melanie x

Hi Weasel
Welcome to BoneSmart. I'm 6 wks post from a LTHR. I've been quite frustrated but now feel like I'm getting there. Good luck.
Melanie

Hi Mike.....and welcome to what I think is one of the most fabulous places on earth. We'll celebrate with you, Laugh with you, and yes, even suffer with you and let you know you are not alone out there. This is a fabulous group here and always available whenever you need to talk.

Hang in there. And do what the good people say.
Slow and easy is the best way to go.
I know I will choke on those words when its my turn.......I hate being idle for too long.....lol.

Mike...how are you feeling these days???

Hi Jamie and all you other great people. I have been undergoing alot of physiotherapy and working hard at the exercises I have been given. Some of my pain in the buttocks has gone as well as pain down the operated thigh. Still have a bit of pain in the general area of the operation. It feels like the surgeon left a few things in there before closing. Ha! Ha!
Still using my crutches and back into going up and down stairs like before the op, with only minimal discomfort and no great pain the next day.
I still cannot walk without hobbling when not using crutches, so I try to use as much as possible, to prevent bad walking habits. Back to PT tomorrow morning for torture. Keep you guys in touch. Thanks again for all the emails.
Warmest regards,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88