6 week check

Status
Not open for further replies.

melani

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
:wahey:hi all
im 6 weeks post op tommorow, & had my o.p app with my consultant yesterday, he was very happy with me so its given me a boost. i have felt frustrated for a few weeks ,naturally being restricted with my usual activities, but this week i just feel i had made more progress, all of a sudden & im able to do much more around the house & walking round the house with no sticks, although limping, i just need to strengthen my
muscles.
my consulatant said i can kneel, ride a bike, pick up my 3 yr old, walk without the sticks as soon as my confidence grows,lie on my side in bed, sit on chairs/toilets without them been raised & drive (i still feel a little nervous about doing this) i cant have a bath for another 6 weeks, so thats something to look forward to. i feel i've reached a milestone reaching the 6 wk mark, been the most scary & restricting time including the surgery which i still cant believe i actually had!
i feel very lucky, with how things have gone, incuding my excellent surgeon & theatre staff, my famliys support & my bonesmart familys advice & support. i hope it continues.
thanks to you all.
melanie x
:jump:

Great, Melanie!!! It happens like that sometimes....you just "magically" feel better all of a sudden.

But I will caution you to not drop the use of your sticks too soon. As long as you are limping, you need to use some form of support. It is not good for you to limip!! Keep using one or both sticks until you are strong enough not to limp. Practice your "heel-toe" gait to ensure that you are walking properly with good long strides.

But for just 6 weeks out, I'd say you are doing fabulous!!! Keep up the great recovery!

SUPER NEWS Melanie :thmb:
It sounds like your doing great. Know we all want to ditch the helpers to walk but they do help especially when your limping! Yes, remeber the heel toe when walking it really made a world of difference in my walking normal.:D I thank Jo so much for that information because it helped me walk normal after limping almost two years.:wahey:

Happy you feel good!!!!!! Sometimes feeling great just sneaks up on you ain't it great!!
Sandy

Great update Melani. But like Jamie says - easy does it. No jogging yet :hehe:. You will continue to see improvement.

Keep us updated!

hi all
thanks for your replys as always, been trying the heel, toe & it definately helps. jo, nanu is the best! cant speak highly enough of him, i think he must think im mad the way i crack on with him, but hes lovely.
melanie x :wahey: p.s. my scar is unbelievable like a thin pencil line, have an old scar right below it & its so much better than that 1 already, & mr nanu said in a year you wont be able to see it! x :thmb:

hi
I forgot to ask Mr Nanu, when you can usually bend down enough to cut toe nails paint them etc but I forgot. I did manage to shave my legs for the first time since op yesterday ( my sisters been doing it) by taping my razor to a wooden spoon,(great tip, I read on here, only think they used ruler, back scratcher). It was a bit of a struggle & couldn't get shaving gel to bottom of leg but felt good to have managed this myself!
I was also curious, Jo, if you could think of how Mr Nanu managed to do my op with no bruising when I usually bruise so easily with little things! I couldn't believe it. I was so pleased but wondered how it was possible. Apart from obvious that Mr Nanu is fab! :pzld::bow:

Yes, he is. And that's how he does it. He's careful and diligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018