Revision THR 55 male cyclist 2019 October Revision THR

@Corey W if this is your slow and steady, I am seriously a snail! :snork:. If your OS has approved all this then great, just please continue to listen to your body and be mindful of doing too much.

We do care about you and your recovery so please continue to stop by and keep us updated.
:bicycle1:

I still can't help but feel this is a lot
...after a revision.
I guess I am the resident worry wart but it concerns me.
:umm:

I'm with, Mojo333
What will happen if you just chill for a bit? Less steps, less exercise, more rest. It's hard to fathom that you're getting a nod from your surgeon for all of this activity after a revision.
Its difficult not to be concerned in your regard, please be careful.
@Corey W

I have had extremely honest conversations with my OS about recovery BOTH times. He knows my activity levels. i don’t do all the steps at once and I stop if I have any pain. I wonder how many steps per day BS advisors recommend by week after THR?

Corey, I don't have an answer for the recommended number of steps for someone healing from a revision at four weeks. What you're doing feels, excessive and unnecessary....just my opinion. You're healing from two major surgeries within four months, but your activity level at less than one month post op reads like you're in training. I will add that reading the following from the Hospital for Special Surgery would have me considering whether I was doing too much, too soon...

- A revision of a hip replacement is generally more challenging then the initial operation. It should not be regarded as or compared to "changing the tires on a car." The results of surgery and the durability of the revised hip replacement are less predictable than those of the primary operation.
With every revision surgery, there is some loss of muscular mass, bone, or both. The duration of surgery is generally longer and the likelihood of complications higher than during the primary surgery -

It's your body and your choice. I'm just struggling to understand why all of the activity you're engaging in has to be so excessive so soon.

Please stay safe.
@Corey W

We don't even know you @CoreyW but I can probably say that most of us here are really concerned for your recovery.
I don't want to see the title of this thread "55 Male Cyclist 2019 November 2nd revision" but I think it may change to that if current behaviors do not change.
My new hip hurts just thinking of spinning or doing 7000 steps a day...and this hip surgery was darn near perfect compared to my other hip. I am walking without a crutch at 12 days post op!
As soon as medical technology can make a new hip BETTER than the original one (actually bionic) I would say your recovery is going well but until that day you are playing with fire, again.

@Mettlehip Do you wear a step tracker? With literally millions of "hippies" around the world you would think daily step recommendations for new hips would be a great way for people to have targets week to week. I have scoured the web in search of answers with no result. I have only walked the first 3 weeks and started on elliptical week 4 and low resistance cycle week 4. I am in NO WAY doing anything close to impact. Based on everything I read low or no impact movement should use PAIN as your indicator. My pain levels continue to be very low 1-2 all day long. This week my steps are about 7000 a day. Over the past 4 years my normal daily steps average is 14,200. Here is the real rub- My surgeons first reaction while we were both looking at the x-ray was "I made the stem too small". It happens. Surgeons make mistakes. I believe if my femoral stem would have been the correct size my first recovery would have been perfect. That said and to your point with the revision I am not taking any chances. I feel very good. I wonder how many steps y'all take or took after your THR by week? @Jamie do you have any recommendations?

I have done 7000 steps a day. Nothing hurt the next day.. Other days I have done less than 4000. Only we can be judges of how we heal and what not to do. My surgeon said no limits but "If it hurts don't do it". Anyone who has taken their first hard hike even when healthy knows second day pain. Then we learn that was too much for that day.
I have been swimming for short times maybe twenty minutes a time. Yesterday I spent two hours. An hour pool walking and an hour swimming. This morning was achy. An indication that some muscles were not ready ( hip muscles AND shoulders . Was doing the breast stroke which I have never even attempted in a few years( it hurt. It didn't yesterday)
And so we learn. But Corey very soon nothing should hurt. Even with my ODIC engagement yesterday after this am my pain is zero. Are you getting off pain meds?
Step trackers don't work too well with non swinging arms.. Or shuffling around on ice what we are doing now.. perhaps you too with the early entry of winter.

Only we can be judges of how we heal and what not to do

Yes, true. But that doesn't stop any of us from offering our opinions, sharing insight, or cautioning out of genuine concern...which I will continue to do when I feel it's necessary.

@ Corey W ..... I don't have specific guidelines for the number of steps for each stage of recovery from a hip replacement. We're working on developing such guidelines, but it's tricky because what might be just great for one person would be a disaster for others. Right now, a better alternative is to do just what you're doing. Test your body gradually and pull back for a while if you get pain or swelling in the 24-48 hours after an activity or exercise.

The problem for many people can be - if you establish "targets," some people will try to push themselves to reach them or think they are failing when they cannot reach a specific "goal." Human nature is just that way - and especially here in the US. We definitely want to avoid that in whatever guidelines are established as we'd see an increase in BoneSmarties with problems.

@Jamie Thanks for your reply. I understand we all recover at different rates and targets can be a double edged sword. I will stick with my self imposed limits and keep my impact low. Last go the Dr. gave me the green light at 6 weeks to get back to normal activity levels. This time he's making the same sounds but I will wait until 8 weeks or longer before I "push" it.

@mainegirl1 thanks for your input. I feel 7500 steps should be a high water mark until week 8 for me. My first hip I was over 15,000 by week 3 and taking 1800m/g of ibuprofen to keep the pain at bay. I am currently taking 800m/g IB and 2000 M/g of Tylenol alternating daily. I plan on reducing the Tylenol to 1000 this week and see if that works. My goal is to be off all pain meds by week 8. I have been taking IB for over 2 years now and I know it cannot be a good thing.

Finally @Layla .... Believe it or not your notes have inspired me to slow down (not an easy task). I truly appreciate your concern and caring. You have a HUGE heart girl :)!

@Corey W Everything scares me with this surgery, its so invasive. Outcomes can vary greatly and I just want the best for you and all the hippies here. I have experience too, I have 2 bionic hips! My first had a long recovery and my 2nd is going well so far. I know the need to always want to be fit, but things for me had to slow down when I got my hip replaced. My thoughts do have a narrow view of recovery though - which may or may not be good as all people heal differently. I always envision my implants bonding with my bones - I don't know actually how strong that bond is and don't want to find out. I don't want anyone to find out how strong their bonds are, or aren't.
When I read that your surgeon used the wrong stem that scared me the most. I had complications with my 1st hip and can sympathize, brother. This is a long road (or mountain bike trail) and I'm glad to see things are heading in the right direction for you. I can only wish you the speediest of recoveries and may you always keep the rubber to the ground!
BTW, I actually asked my doctor if they had a "heavy duty" hip implant that would last longer under harsh athletic activities. LOL!!!
If I come off as a jerk, I'm sorry. I am a caring jerk though.

Hello guys @Corey W and @Mettlehip
You two men can make a girl's heart melt and I don't mean that in a flirtatious way. Your open, honest, caring, sensitive and most of all gracious responses to fellow members are admirable. We want only the best for you both as you continue on this journey that's joined us all together.
Wishing you both comfort and perfect healing.

Hi Corey,
I’m doing no more than 3,000 a day at 8 weeks. I could do more but I choose to stay low as don’t wanna jeopardise my recovery. I have all the time in the world to hit that 10,000 mark but I don’t wanna erode or damage that hip that is just settling in (muscles and capsule haven’t encapsulated it yet properly).Also recommended steps is a hard one because different people have different heights and strides etc x. Good luck with the recovery but it’s a serious operation and I too worry about you pushing it too hard xxx.
I followed the advice on here for my first hip ..... less is more x. Tbh I’d rather take advice here than from my OS as the advice is tried and tested here (my OS has never had a hip replacement but everyone here has!!!!! So my OS can advise ‘no restrictions’ but it’s not his body... so guess what? I imposed restrictions!!I took it real slow and almost avoided physio altogether and was back at work at 9 weeks. Pain free ever since. I’ve also had no pain meds since week 2 for both operations.
It’s only my opinion but I want you to do well so please take the all expert advice that the advisors give xxx

Last edited:
@Mojo333 Thanks buddy!

@Mettlehip Oddly my revision stem is much longer and when they do posterior they can actually ream the inside of the femur for a near perfect fit. I asked why I couldn't get something like this the first time he still felt the anterior approach is superior. If I need another one I might go posterior because I want the best outcome. And bro, you are not a jerk... its all good

@Layla Life is better when people care about each other. Thank you

The anterior vs posterior discussion is gonna be ongoing for quite awhile, I think.

Apparently, some surgeons are attracted by the less invasive anterior approach, while others continue to prefer the posterior for reasons like you noted. My two posteriors, 20 years apart, we’re from young, aggressive surgeons - but, the ratio of anterior to posterior does seem to be increasing.

I’ve got a revision in my future on the 20 yo equipment, replacement of the cup liner and ball cover - be interesting to see, since no bone cutting is required, if it is candidate for an anterior approach.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts