Revision THR 55 male cyclist 2019 October Revision THR

@Corey W You must be so relieved that they got you in quickly, then!
The sooner it’s fixed, the sooner you get your active lifestyle back.
Wishing you peace of mind while waiting.
I had a client who had a nifty pump so the antibiotics could be given at specific times while she went about her daily activities.
I am picturing you having wheelchair or gurney bed races while in the hospital!

@CricketHip lol the nurses said my nurse was training me for the crutches race because I was so fast. Honestly the pain from the posterior op is significantly more than my anterior op, but maybe because it was a revision? I’m finally at home with my pick line installed for IV. Should get some in home training today. Thanks to all for the support and well wishes. To my administrators, my right shoulder has been on fire! The OS assistant said they had to pin my arm out of the way for surgery but it feels like they dislocated it and reset. Is this common with posterior? It hurts almost as bad as the hip and I need this limb during recovery so it’s been challenging.

Hi @Corey W
So glad you are home and yes, we are all still sending healing vibes your way!

my right shoulder has been on fire! The OS assistant said they had to pin my arm out of the way for surgery but it feels like they dislocated it and reset. Is this common with posterior?
I suppose they do have to get your arm out of the way but sounds like they stressed your shoulder and you certainly didn't need that!:blackcloud:
Hopefully you are icing it also...I would think that a small pack of frozen veggies would mold well around your shoulder.

Hi @Corey W Ugh, your shoulder is on fire! I second the icing suggestion. Sounds like the shoulder could benefit from it, too. I have a very good friend who is a Nurse Anesthetist, she's told me this several times that our arms get tied out of the way. But instead of pinned she said anchored.
Sounds very calloused, doesn't it? But I can understand the OS and surgical staff wanting to have clear access. I also know that before a surgery, I make sure they all know that my right shoulder is very touchy... just in case. Going forward you may want to make sure your team knows what happened.
I hope the in home training went well today and you are able to rest comfortably.

Last edited:
I think with a posterior approach the scar is bigger and they have to move more muscle etc out of the way to get at the hip part. I know mine hurt like crazy for the first three days but it all got better! Best wishes for a good recovery!

A good afternoon to you in Chi-Town :wave:
It's nice to read you're home, Corey...resting in your own space.
I'm sorry you're finding the pain from the posterior approach more painful than the anterior. Also a huge bummer about your shoulder, I hope it's easing slowly. You have enough to contend with, you certainly didn't need that too.
I hope you're able to rest comfortably and get some restorative sleep. Stay in touch, we're here for you. :)
@Corey W

Last edited:
Corey, I am sending positive vibes for healing. I bet the same drive that pushes you athletically has shaped your pragmatic attitude. It can’t be easy right now. I hope the antibiotics are successful and your shoulder pain resolves quickly.
I feel for you. I had THR the same day as your first surgery, and I was checking on your progress. (My husband is also a serious cyclist, I get it.)

Wishing you some soothing pain relief and moments of healing rest.

@Layla thank you for your kind words and well wishes. Sleep has only come with narcotics but I’m willing to use them for now.
@Rbc i appreciate the vibes and glad to know another same day hippie!
@CricketHip and mojo333 yeah I’ve iced it and it’s probably at a 5 pain level down from 8. The hip ramps up quickly from 2 to an 8 every 3.5 hours when the oxy wears off. Day 5 and I can hardly be on my feet at all. This has all forced me to go SLOW. I’ll post up fitbit step comparison form first surgery to revision when I have more data. Nothing but love for you guys

Good morning, @Corey W
Your body is working very hard to heal all that hip surgery trauma and work on that shoulder strain.
The energy you do have needs to stay directed that way.
I want to hack into your Fitbit and disable it:giggle:
Certainly you have to move about...but please don't worry about getting the numbers up.
I will worry for you.

@Corey W Good morning. Hoping your pain level will decrease as you allow your all your tissues to heal. It is my understanding, from reading here on Bonesmart, that you need to allow your bone tissues to knit into your new hip implants, which is what rest periods allow to happen. I my mind, I imagine it as if we have a broken bone, and we need the pieces to knit together again to become one. I understand @Mojo333 concern for you, for this reason, too. I have had broken bones, and remember how long it takes to knit together, especially as a midlife person.
Maybe you can find some small activities to do with your hands for the time being, some kind of creative endeavor, while you are healing? I know it’s tough to go from being so active, to a virtual sloth, but it is temporary and in the best interest for your ultimate success.

@Mojo333 im not worried about my Fitbit numbers but they provide data to learn from. My intentions on starting a thread initially were to document a real recovery that intentionally pushed the threshold. Fitbit logged those data points and may provide valuable info to other like minded folks to see what is possible. This revision surgery is something different. I cannot physically do what I did last time. My OS has repeatedly told me that nothing I did caused this outcome. I am not on a speed mission any longer. Please don’t worry, just keep the posi-vibes flowing:swim:i got this!

I'm happy to hear you received reassurance that nothing you did caused your current situation. I believe you'll move through this recovery as advised and achieve a positive outcome.

We do tend to worry about those who set lofty goals. I'm sorry you're dealing with a set-back through no fault of your own and appreciate that you will document your story here for others to possibly benefit from. I know many will be following your journey. Prayers will go up, good vibes be sent, encouraging, supportive and comforting words posted. We're with you, Corey.
I hope today is a good day. Wishing you comfort.
@Corey W

Thanks Harry! Keep logging the miles bro! Saw you 70 miler the other day and I was impressed! I’ll be back at it soon, but in the meantime I’ll live vicariously through you and my other STRAVA warriors
Corey, thanks. That was my longest ride since my op. I was so happy and grateful to be on that ride. I loved every minute, even those where I suffered.

It is so horrible that your’e in pain. I just hope it passes quickly.

Personally, being the Garmin / Strava / gadget junkie that I am, I can’t wait to see your comparative fitbit data.

I will think of you on all my rides, till your’e able to shred those gravel roads and trails yourself.

You have the attitude of a winner. So you will win.

Okay. Whew....I just want this thing to turn around quickly so you can get back to happy and healthy.
My OS has repeatedly told me that nothing I did caused this outcome
I hope I didn't make you feel like I thought any differently.
I hope today is a good day and healing vibes still flowing your way!

@ Corey W Slow slow big guy! your body is dealing not only withe the trauma of two surgeries but the possibility of infection. Use this time to research supplements to give your body extra help, believe me it will help, from someone who knows!!xx

@Mojo333 i certainly never felt that way. I make mention only to let others know that a speedy recovery is a possibility. I had some unfortunate experiences but that’s all rear view mirror. Everyone has a different recovery. I hope to encourage folks to move forward through life’s challenges with optimism and realism. My rally cry has long been “Let’s Go!” Albeit slowly for now:walking:

Look upon this surgery as an investment in your future.
Look after it now and it will serve you well for years to come.

I like that line above :yes: a member's doctor shared that sentiment.
I believe we know you'll give your best effort to doing this recovery right, but we're still going to watch, comment and worry about you as you can see from those who are routinely checking on you.

While we all may not have agreed with your level of ambition, but understand it has no bearing on your current situation, I believe you've drawn us all in with your honesty and in the gracious and respectful way in which you respond to others. I guess you have fans, Corey, and we'll follow your journey for as long as you are willing to share.

Make today a good one! :)
@Corey W

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie