THR 50 year old male's recovery

:wave: @toughstuff
Wondering if you got your scheduled injection and if you are feeling any better pain wise yet?
Hope today is a good day.

Thanks for asking. I got the injection on Friday. They told me it’ll take a few days to take effect. Today is the following day and it’s sore from the injection.

Glad the injection is over with and will be so interested in how you are feeling in a few days!

Hello @toughstuff
Hopefully the injection brings you the relief you're seeking. Please stay in touch and let us know how it's going in a few days.
Have a nice weekend!

Hello :wave: @toughstuff
I'm wondering if you've noticed any change yet since the injection?
Hopefully so :fingersx:
Wishing you a nice evening and rest of the week.

Unfortunately I did not notice much of a change from the injection.
Not sure of the correct approach now. I’m at 4 months and still sore 90% of the time. I guess there is still a chance to heal completely but this length of time can’t be a good sign.

I know this is a tough thing to ask of someone active (and it was very difficult for me to do). Can you stop ALL activity other than necessary walking for 3-4 weeks? Then start back slowly and gradually. If it's tendonitis, it may be enough of a break to reset things. If it calms down during the rest but restarts as soon as you start back up, that will give them more info. That's what I ended up doing at about 6 or 7 months. My PT was concerned at how even manual stretching by him caused pain during the rest phase so we didn't even do that - just lots of massaging. The pain was decreased during the rest phase but started back up full force when I did anything after.

All of the info you can accumulate about what hurts and what doesn't and what helps and what doesn't provides valuable info to finding a solution. The Eureka moment for a scientist usually isn't the first attempt but the attempt that comes from the knowledge gained from the "failures."

Keep your head up and keep looking for the solution. It may not seem like it sometimes, but you're moving forwards towards the solution.

I don't know what your OS or others have told you but 1 year is the usual time for what's called full recovery. At 1 year mine was still getting better. I put down 3 floors in the house recently and my L hip got sore. If you do some reading there's someone just came on after 8 years and he can still get sore from things like working on a ladder.

@toughstuff .... I'm sorry to hear you didn't get any relief from the injection. This, plus your surgeon's suggestion that you are suffering from tendonitis, should be your wake up call to adjust your activity levels. Tendonitis can be very difficult to get resolved and it will not happen if you continue to push your hip when it hurts. In fact, continuing to overwork a painful hip can result in the condition becoming chronic, meaning it never goes away. Please don't risk it!

The pain may not come immediately, but if you walk 7 miles in a mall with tendonitis, you're going to inflame your hip all over again taking you back to square one.

If you haven't scheduled a follow up visit with your surgeon to discuss all this, it might be a good idea to do so. There is no "magic bullet" for this. You're going to need to take weeks and maybe months to let this chronic inflammation settle down.

Hey, all the above, plus ..you are only 50, so no wonder you want to get back at it! It is hard to manage expectations ...hang in there and use your cane or crutch. It seems to me that you are going commando because your meds are masking the pain. I would opt for more supportive device and less pain meds. Then your body can really communicate with you.

Jamie,
What are the typical signs of loosening components? I’m still thinking this could be an issue as I can hear that rubbing when I rotate. Any other questions you would suggest asking the surgeon? I have the ability to text him and he responds quite quickly. Thanks

Hi @toughstuff
Let's tag @Jamie to make sure she catches your post.

Wishing you a peaceful day and a Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi @toughstuff. I am truly so sorry that you are still having this worry and pain.
I think an inflamed tendon can feel like it is rubbing or snapping in the joint.
In fact, I had that symptom years ago , probably when my hips were beginning their death rattle.
I'm curious at this stage of your healing, what you are describing as pain 90 % of the time.
What pain level would you give it?

Here's the pain scale chart to refer to.

I had rotation feeling, as well. Started ignoring it. All gone.

Perhaps eliminating all activity other than walking and light stretching?

I did really well with Tylenol ... 4 g/day ...

I would say my pain level is around a 4 most of the time. It is just annoying enough to interfere with daily activities and concentration.

Good Morning @toughstuff
Did your surgeon mention loosening as a possibility?
Following is an article from the BoneSmart Library that addresses loosening as well as other complications -

Please try not to get ahead of yourself unless this was mentioned as a possibility by your surgeon. While our desire / goal is to be pain free, hopefully your discomfort is currently tolerable with medication. With any luck you'll receive answers and find relief soon.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Yesterday was my appt with the number 1 hip surgeon in the system for a 2nd opinion. I was the last patient and he spent an entire hour with me. He could not believe how tight my surgeon made me from surgery (native hip offset 2 cm and the new hip is 3.5 cm). He said that alone will cost me many months extra of pain in the healing process. He also said the stem is placed perfectly but the cup has some potential issues. It's at a shallow angle and is likely a size too small. He told me absolutely no PT and nothing more than daily activities. He said I should still heal as it naturally elongates but if not he can do some things in 2 months to help me.
Also the grinding noise he was amazed at because he said that can only happen if you are way beyond tight when put back together. He said the parts are damn near frictionless and to have that noise demonstrates how much they are pushed against each other. No more injections either he said.
Moral of the story, I have months yet due to surgical decisions and my activity level. If I need more relief in January this surgeon will redo the cup and leave the stem as is. Still a surgery but much less involvement.
Awesome experience with the number 1 surgeon in the system. My pain is on the outside of my hip. I did not have any of this 4-6 weeks ago.

Thanks for the update @toughstuff
I'm sorry you continue to struggle. Thankfully it seems you are making some headway in determining what is causing the pain that's holding you back. It sounds like you had a very insightful and informative meeting with the new surgeon yesterday with clear direction on how to proceed. Hopefully a revision isn't necessary, but if so. it seems you'll be in very good hands. Wishing you comfort as you move forward. Please stay in touch.

That was definitely a good visit and with the number one hip surgeon. Really awesome that he could take so much time with you and give you an explanation ascot what is going on. Wishing you the best going forward, please keep us posted.

Hi there, I am very late to this thread as I just found it while searching offset. I too had 3-5 mm offset on both hips during bilateral replacement. I have not been able to bring my ankles and knees together since surgery. It has taken me 2.5 years for a diagnosis of too short/tight IT bands and I am scheduled for release surgery next week. I am so angry that my doctor did this. I was told at the time it was for "optimal wear". I hope your issues have resolved. I am praying that my surgery will be successful.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom