@toughstuff - I lucked into the surgeon. One of the PTs recommended him because did same for another patient. It was surgeon I'd consulted before THR (when I thought I needed arthroscopy) and then revisionist I saw also recommended him. I got it just in time - he moved back to Montana just after my 6 week follow-up.
Surgery was easy-peasy. Surgeon told me to do anything I wanted as long as it didn't take pain over a 4. I specifically asked about dancing that night (New Year's Eve) and to the gym the next day and was told to go for it.
I had very little pain but movement was restricted in first few days by swelling. It literally got better by the hour! I was driving in just a few days.
It takes some time to get full active range of motion (I'm still improving 10 months later). The pain was gone, except at edge of ROM (wherever that is at the time) but even then, not a sharp pain. The muscle is elongated by the surgery, so it takes some time to retrain the muscle and the brain to get it to move. I did PT a couple times a week for 6 weeks (would probably have done longer but had some unrelated surgery that cut it short). I could have opted to go back or to do more intensive work on my own but decided to just live my life for a few months to see how it went.
Basically, at that point, I could do most anything I wanted to do without pain. Passive ROM was better than active but active has improved (and passive always improves to be one step beyond.
After months of increasing and sharp pain, not sleeping well and reducing activities one by one, the surgery was like a miraclem. No more heavy muscle relaxants, no more constant NSAIDs, no more steroid shots interfering with my blood sugar and back to doing the things I love doing! I've even taken up powerlifting.
Let me know any questions you have. Hopefully the injection works for you one and done or lasts long enough to just do it every few months. Otherwise, this surgery can get you back to where you want to be (and thought you'd be after the THR).